Total House Rebuild - Bungalow To Two Storey - Project Showcase - Page 85 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree749Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 12-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #1261
Member
 
cocobolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Shuswap, B.C., Canada
Posts: 8,855
Rewards Points: 6,498
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Nice score pugsy...and Merry Christmas.
__________________
Just an old guy messin' with bits of wood...and old cars!
...the friendliest thread on the site! Come on by.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-25-2018, 05:20 PM   #1262
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Thanks.


Same to you Keith and everyone else following along on this thread.
cocobolo and lenaitch like this.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-25-2018, 06:33 PM   #1263
Ole Wood Worker

 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Posts: 12,485
Rewards Points: 1,296
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Wow, that hot pressure washer flat out did a fantastic job, looks great. I am old school mechanics, never seen a 6 bolt main.

I know we are DIY but even in building homes, there was some things I hated to do and got someone else to do. Two of those things were running base molding and building drawers, it was just so boring to me. lol
cocobolo and 123pugsy like this.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2018, 10:06 AM   #1264
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 13,552
Rewards Points: 9,138
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


That Vortec is one of the best engines made.
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #1265
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
That Vortec is one of the best engines made.

I sure hope so.


.020" overbore, LS2 heads and an LS6 cam should give about each 380HP/TQ and a nice smooth idle.
Attached Thumbnails
Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey-5.3-ls6-cam-.jpg   Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey-5.3-ls6-cam-.jpg  
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #1266
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: western CT
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Stone installed on exposed foundation.
This finished house is GORGEOUS! I looked through the 85 pages, ending looking at every 5 pages or so to get to the end. What a project!

I started looking at the first several pages and thought you were redoing the little house. I wondered why since you seem to have this lovely vintage house in your profile pic.. I thought it must be a 2nd house, but it didn't seem so from the text. After a couple of dozen pages it dawned on me. Wow! It really, really does look like a solid old vintage house. I love the brick! I also like how it sits slanted on the lot, too.

I suggest you put some finished house pics at the end of this thread, and put the car work pics in another thread. 85 pages is a lot to go through, and some will want to skip to the end to see the finished project.
123pugsy likes this.
Richard F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #1267
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard F. View Post
This finished house is GORGEOUS! I looked through the 85 pages, ending looking at every 5 pages or so to get to the end. What a project!

I started looking at the first several pages and thought you were redoing the little house. I wondered why since you seem to have this lovely vintage house in your profile pic.. I thought it must be a 2nd house, but it didn't seem so from the text. After a couple of dozen pages it dawned on me. Wow! It really, really does look like a solid old vintage house. I love the brick! I also like how it sits slanted on the lot, too.

I suggest you put some finished house pics at the end of this thread, and put the car work pics in another thread. 85 pages is a lot to go through, and some will want to skip to the end to see the finished project.

Thanks for the praise. It's truly appreciated.

I have a friend who's business is slow at present and may hire him to finish the skirting around the porch soon. I will add photos at that time.
I'll stop the hot rod nonsense and leave it at this.


The skirting, painting the deck floor boards and staining the back deck and that's it. Stick a fork in it and call it done! YES!
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #1268
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


How the heck did you notice it's slanted on the lot? Don't recall posting any lot plans.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #1269
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: western CT
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


It's a very impressive "done" - really thoroughly done, trims and all, which is not what always happens to all of us DIYers.

I hope your friend can meet your standards for the deck skirting work!

What color for the deck floor boards?

Have you seen Hollandlac Brilliant paint? It's expensive but is wearing SO MUCH better than Ben Moore. It makes for a lovely floor. We put it on our entry portico floor (and the white walls around it), and I love it. We put a rug down the middle because it's quite slippery when wet. I love that it always looks wet!

Ours is like this color in this one I found on the net, just slightly paler, and slightly bluer.

(I hope your friend can live up to your standards for the skirting!)

Re: the slant - it looks that way from some of the pics where you can just barely see the road edge from where you took the picture. Like in your profile pic of it here. It looks like it's mostly the corner and the side facing the road (which you said was close-ish), which makes the bulk of the house not face it, ans also recede from the road, offering an extra private end of the front porch, too. That is, if I saw it right.

I would have chairs on the more private end and a swinging bench or glider, which the kids will enjoy, on the end closer to the road.
123pugsy likes this.

Last edited by Richard F.; 06-09-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Richard F. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard F. For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (06-09-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 PM   #1270
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard F. View Post
It's a very impressive "done" - really thoroughly done, trims and all, which is not what always happens to all of us DIYers.

I hope your friend can meet your standards for the deck skirting work!

What color for the deck floor boards?

Have you seen Hollandlac Brilliant paint? It's expensive but is wearing SO MUCH better than Ben Moore. It makes for a lovely floor. We put it on our entry portico floor (and the white walls around it), and I love it. We put a rug down the middle because it's quite slippery when wet. I love that it always looks wet!

Ours is like this color in this one I found on the net, just slightly paler, and slightly bluer.

(I hope your friend can live up to your standards for the skirting!)

Re: the slant - it looks that way from some of the pics where you can just barely see the road edge from where you took the picture. Like in your profile pic of it here. It looks like it's mostly the corner and the side facing the road (which you said was close-ish), which makes the bulk of the house not face it, ans also recede from the road, offering an extra private end of the front porch, too. That is, if I saw it right.

I would have chairs on the more private end and a swinging bench or glider, which the kids will enjoy, on the end closer to the road.



Grey floor boards, similar to the picture.
Never heard of that paint brand before. Just googled. The nearest dealer is over an hour away....really sucks up here to buy anything.


The porch is basically to only make the house look nice. Too noisy for sitting. The deck out back is quieter.
Richard F. likes this.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #1271
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: western CT
Posts: 46
Rewards Points: 92
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Grey floor boards, similar to the picture.
Never heard of that paint brand before. Just googled. The nearest dealer is over an hour away....really sucks up here to buy anything.


The porch is basically to only make the house look nice. Too noisy for sitting. The deck out back is quieter.
The porch does make your house look really nice.

We used a lot of Hollandlac Brilliant because I LOVE it. If I had known about it before we did painted the entire interior (just before we worked on the exterior) I would have done it in that, instead. Even still, I am thinking of redoing the kitchen in it. Which means new either wood or their putty before painting.

Recently we bought more paint at our most-local dealer, next town over, for our shed project. But, they no longer carried the very necessary special paint thinner (or ANY even compatible paint thinner!). Noone in CT does.

Apparently, CT just passed new environmental laws, like California has, and therefore no longer sells ANY real paint thinner, let along Fine Paints of Europe [FPE] paint thinner (the paint, yes, but not the thinner you NEED to use the paint) - just some substitute that would RUIN the expensive paint. I have learned from my experience an exact way to use this paint, and it includes using only FPE paint thinner.

So I made a two-hour round trip "straight" west (thru the hills) to the nearest FPE store in New York State for my $35 gallon of FPE thinner that we need we need to complete our shed trim and doors.

The next week I was back again, as I was not able to buy again the Permethrin on Amazon for the tick tubes we put out this time of year - they now won't mail it to CT.

So I tell that as a "beware" to anyone whose local region is considering passing such laws. You will want to buy now or pick up in your travels the things that you use regularly that you cannot get locally anymore. Solvent-based floor sealers would be included, too, I would imagine.
123pugsy likes this.
Richard F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 05:31 AM   #1272
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Ya, it's getting like that around here. We can't even buy weed killer.
Richard F. likes this.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #1273
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


The last of the construction has begun.
I bent up some brackets at work for my neighbor who volunteered to help close up the porch as I'm absolutely sick of anything house related at this point.


The brackets hang down to support a cross 2x6 for the vertical boards to screw onto at the bottom. They will get a trim board top and bottom afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey-img_9027.jpg   Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey-img_9028.jpg   Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey-img_9029.jpg   Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey-img_9030.jpg  
BigJim, SPS-1, lenaitch and 3 others like this.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:00 PM   #1274
Member
 
romeojk27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 117
Rewards Points: 14
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Looks awesome. Congrats


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
romeojk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to romeojk27 For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #1275
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE
 
123pugsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MARKHAM, ON
Posts: 4,033
Rewards Points: 1,230
Default

Re: Total House Rebuild - Bungalow to Two Storey


Quote:
Originally Posted by romeojk27 View Post
Looks awesome. Congrats


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Hopefully they'll be close to done this afternoon.
Windows on Wash likes this.
__________________
Pugsy...my project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/total...storey-276978/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My house's previous owner - DIY horror stories Leah Frances General DIY Discussions 153 01-21-2016 07:18 PM
installing whole house filter on outside of house MikeInFL Plumbing 3 06-12-2010 04:47 PM
DIY rewire the whole house... brons2 Electrical 20 02-21-2010 12:17 AM
Fixing weekend house staining that went awry jb888s Painting 10 08-17-2009 10:01 PM
I have Central Heating & Air, but house won't cool down..HELP!! exiledone1 HVAC 13 07-10-2009 10:09 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts