Project Playground - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Richard F.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 94

Project Playground

Before we worked on the exterior, we redid the playscape my husband had built for his now-grown children. His daughter's daughter is here a lot, especially in the summer, and it was a worthwhile project, because she LOVES it, and she and her new stepsister play on it all the time..

We did this project right after we finished the interior, which we did immediately, and before we started on the exterior. I do not have before pictures of the playscape, or of the interior, because it was all a bit overwhelming. The last several winters before I met and married my husband, since the oil furnace had long since conked out, he had been heating the house with a gas fireplace, supplemented with electric space heaters. Pretty rustic. Camping-out life was not going to do for my Mom; she needed to be warm, so we put in a gas furnace. The very-old gas fireplace had thrown soot over the entire house. Everything was gray. Even the laundry baskets! So we scrubbed scrubbed and painted all the walls, woodwork and ceilings. And I made curtains. A big job! But rewarding, especially because we work well together.

After this we worked on the playscape, which had long since gone gray (like the roof deck), and it had a tattered cloth roof. It was surprising to me how the stain made it look brand new. We made this new lined cloth roof together, and we also made the matching hammock, all on a used Bernina sewing machine that I got on eBay. Everything needed to be redone - the monkey bars had missing pieces, the swings needed new ropes and the rope climb had to be remade with new dowels. I spray painted one of the slides, because I thought it looked better green. My favorite part of this project was painting the banana swing seat to match the fabric roof lining. Our local auto-body shop clear-coated it.

Project Playground-dscf0139.jpg

Project Playground-dscf0140.jpg

Project Playground-dscf0141.jpg

Here is a question I have, if anyone can answer it. The cloth roof we made, once the rich deep green green you see in the picture, is now faded and dull looking. Because the shade goes away in the winter, so it's in the sun most of 3 seasons. So you think I could take it off and spray paint it dark green?? The interior floral lining still looks great.
de-nagorg likes this.
Richard F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 05:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

Re: Project Playground

I wonder how long did it take you?
JonColyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,462

Paint don't stick to cloth very well.

So I think that would be a waste of time, think about a fabric dye from the Hobby Store.

They carry lots of fabric stains, dyes, and paints.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I like the flowers.
terrythefairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement