Pocket Holster For Concealed Pistol - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By badtheba

Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

Pocket holster for concealed pistol

I have 0 experience with leather work. So I bought a scrap of leather to make a sheath for a garage sale hatchet, and held on to the leftovers. Months later I bought a handgun for concealed carry, and haven't really found a hidden or tuckable holster I liked so I had carried it in a jacket pocket or the front pocket of dress pants. In my jacket pocket the gun always wanted to tip and not stay with the barrel vertical, and in pants pockets it printed so it was obvious I was carrying. So I got out my scrap and started experimenting.

First I measured, marked, cut, stretched, and fit it.

Then I borrowed some tools from a friend that just got a new sewing machine for leather and wasn't using these tools. Then I glued, punched holes, and sewed it up.

badtheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 8,350

Re: Pocket holster for concealed pistol

Looking good
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,650

Nice job.....

What kind of gun? Looks a lot 'like' my S&W Shield....but not an exact match.

FYI....thin leather (as compared to what mine are made of (bought) may have issues during normal day to day use.

I'll be interested to see how well it holds up

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 396

It's a Springfield Armory XDs-9. It's nearly identical in size to my wife's shield 9mm. Got it with some huge discounts locally plus free stuff at Springfieldpromo.com.

I know it's thin leather (basically as soft as purse leather. But it was a leftover scrap and I think it meets the objective I wanted which is to hide the shape and keep it from tipping in a looser pocket.

I did test it to see if I can draw the gun out and have the holster stay in the pocket, and it works if the top of the holster near the rear sights catches on the pocket. But if I want to improve it I'd probably have to put a button in all my clothes or something.

I did look at YouTube videos to figure out that if I soaked it before shaping it that it would hold its shape when dried and stiffen up some, which it did nicely.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
badtheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement