Over-the-Stove Microwave Install - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Over-the-Stove Microwave Install

We just had our new kitchen installed, and to save us a bit of cash, I'm doing all the plumbing and electrical work myself, including a microwave install.

When I tore out the old kitchen, the hood and light were already wired, so I didn't have to run any wire, thankfully. Didn't know if I'd be hardwiring the microwave in or installing an outlet, so I left the wire as it was. As it turns out, the microwave we got already has a plug, so outlet it is. That means I'm going to have to build a frame to generate space for the plug and wires.

I used some of the leftover trim on the bottom so the appearance under the microwave would match the rest of the kitchen. The entire left side, as well as the middle screw on the bottom are all attached to studs, for which I used longer screws than what was provided to make up the difference of the frame I added. Not pictured is the hole I drilled into the drywall; I bought a low-profile extension cord rated for appliances, and all the excess cord is tucked away into the wall behind the final install.

Outlet's in place, time to "fix" the microwave.

Didn't want to install the outlet in the cabinet above the stove, and out of the box, the cord is left to rub against the sharp edge of the sheet metal (!?) so I'm going to move the cord to exit through the rear of the cabinet.

This cable clamp has a nominal diameter of .75"; cut one side of the clamp and the ring (arrows point to them; didn't think to turn them toward the camera) and carefully slipped them over the cord so I wouldn't have to rewire the cord.

Propped the top panel up with a scrap block, drilled out the .75" hold for the clamp, and a channel to run the cord through. Yeah, this probably voided my warranty, but I don't buy the extended warranties, anyways, so...

Now to drop the fan motor back in, reattach the top panel, and lift it into place.

Not pictured are the 3 screws that go down through the top cabinet and into the top of the microwave. Probably should have cleaned up the dust before I snapped this, but oh well. Wife's happy, kitchen's almost done (you can see the missing trim around the windows in some of the pics above), now for the living room walls!
kyle108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 127

I many be wrong but I believe code requires outlet and plug needs to be readily accessible which is why they are usually put in the cabinet above and with dishwashers they are put in the cabinet underneath the sink and bot behind the dishwasher
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Re: Over-the-Stove Microwave Install

Hmm... guess that means I'm going to have to move the outlet for the dishwasher, stove, and fridge, too. Reading through the 2014 NEC changes, "readily accessible" is defined as, "Capable of being reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspection without requiring those concerned to use a tool, to climb over, remove obstacle, or other."

Will probably just wait until we sell the house before we do all that, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2016, 12:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn01
I many be wrong but I believe code requires outlet and plug needs to be readily accessible which is why they are usually put in the cabinet above and with dishwashers they are put in the cabinet underneath the sink and bot behind the dishwasher
Is that correct for dishwashers? Aren't many dishwashers hardwired?
Druidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 127

Old dishwashers were hrs wired. Most if not all new ones have Edison plug
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

Ours is new; house was built in '52, but never had a dishwasher until my wife had one put in about a year and a half ago. She bought a GE model from Sears with a standard 120V grounded plug, so guess what got installed in the open bay where the dishwasher was going?

That job got hired that out to an electrician, but that was 2014 - not sure when in 2014 the new code took effect.
Old 07-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 9,816

I believe a microwave outlet also needs to be on a dedicated circuit.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement