New Doors For Bungalow Home Eave Closets - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
Licensed Engineer

Rewards Points: 493

New doors for bungalow home eave closets

The home is a post WW-II bungalow with the Master Bedroom in the second floor attic. At one time this room was fully paneled with knotty pine, including knotty pine doors to access closets built into the eave space.

A previous owner had covered the paneling with drywall, and covered the knotty pine doors with slabs of plain plywood. My son wanted the plain slab doors replaced with French Doors to match the door leading up to the Master Bedroom from the main floor hallway.

Before:
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

After:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

He, my wife, and I demo'ed the old doors, re-framed the openings to be the same size, constructed & installed new jamb sets, and hung the new doors over the past three days. I know a Pro would have been faster but my tool set uses hammers and chisels rather than routers and pneumatic nail drivers. I proportioned the old standard 7 & 11 hinge spacing to match the reduced door height.

Doors are 27-1/4 x 52-1/4 and were custom built by Beacon Hill Supply near Cleveland at a very reasonable price! They modified their standard divided light Casement Window product with flat bottom edges and 1-3/8 thickness. Whereas multiple custom door companies wanted $1500+ for each door, Beacon Hill provided all three doors for less than half the amount others wanted for a single door.

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-03-2016 at 08:56 AM.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

That project sure dressed up the room----excellent price--first class job you did installing them,too.
MI-Roger (01-03-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement