My Project---my Last Home. - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
Unread 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

My project---my last home.

So, bought this small house in a small town--needs a complete rehab because it is back from the 80's. Here are the before pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-house.jpg   My project---my last home.-house3.jpg   My project---my last home.-is6y16izjd2ueh1000000000.jpg   My project---my last home.-demo.jpg   My project---my last home.-house6.jpg  

jsmith1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

Re: My project---my last home.

So, my first day there I did a total demolition. I left one bedroom and the bathroom alone for now so I have someplace to sleep and have a facility for taking a shower, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-demo19.jpg   My project---my last home.-de-mo27.jpg   My project---my last home.-demo2.jpg   My project---my last home.-demo8.jpg   My project---my last home.-demo14.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2019, 03:02 PM   #3

Two decent sized loads taken out to the dump---I am burning the 2x4's.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-demo-garbage2.jpg   My project---my last home.-demo25.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

House was built in 82--and the specs on it are bedroom 1--11.75'x 10', bedroom 2--13'x14', bathroom--5'x8', kitchen--16'x13', living room--16'x13' roughly as the stairs to the basement intrude on it as it is in the middle of the house. Once you come in the front door, it is right there in front of you. Plans are to expand the size of the small bedroom, increase the size of the bathroom (add a nice bathtub, separate shower, and laundry in it as well as right now laundry is in the kitchen), I am reducing the size of the garage by 1 stall as I am adding a hall with closet into the garage as that will be the entry to the house (getting rid of the front door in the middle of the house).
Nealtw likes this.
Unread 05-06-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

First thing, moved the stairs to a different location. In the first pic, that is what I envision to eliminate the space the stairs take up since it is such a small house. I think I accomplished that so far. Stairs were not light but putting one end of them on a dolly helped the moving process to their new location.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-basement-hatch-door.jpg   My project---my last home.-basement-steps-wheel-dolly.jpg   My project---my last home.-basement-stairs-place.jpg   My project---my last home.-basement-trap-door-new.jpg   My project---my last home.-old-steps-location-concealed.jpg  

Unread 05-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #6

2. Created a bigger span in between posts in the kitchen living room. In the larger span, I plan on putting a kitchen island made for sitting and eating. I plan on making them look like nice looking beams in the long run but for now, the beams are done.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-demo15.jpg   My project---my last home.-demo14.jpg   My project---my last home.-beams-place8.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #7

3. created the new bathroom where the stairway used to be plus shrunk down the larger bedroom to a 10x11 room--it's just a spare room anyway. I will put a pocket door from the hallway into the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-bathroom-construct.jpg   My project---my last home.-bathroom-construct2.jpg   My project---my last home.-bedroom21.jpg  
Windows on Wash likes this.
Unread 05-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,888

Kickin' arse already on it.

Love the land and I do like me some rancher style living.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
jsmith1107 (05-06-2019)
Unread 05-06-2019, 03:19 PM   #9

4. ok, moved to the garage now because I am waiting for a plumber to come and give me an estimate on moving the water and sewer lines. Won't be all that bad of a price because the house is very small and the move of pipes is not that far really. So, in the garage I have started the deck which will be the hallway with the closet on the end of it. The door to come in the house will be there as well. Closed off the current doorway and need to cut in the new one--that will happen next time.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-new-entry-house-garage-spot.jpg   My project---my last home.-new-locations-garage-kitchen-look.jpg   My project---my last home.-garage-breezeway.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #10

5. Now to shrink the garage down a little. Took out the 16x9 garage door and went with a 9x7 and put in my walk in door that will go up to the breezeway/hallway with the closet. As you can see, I have another garage that is like 25 feet from the house so I basically already had 4 stalls, now down to about 3 but the house garage will be a spacious single stall that is insulated.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-isi3i7qbcsjzch1000000000.jpg   My project---my last home.-trim-off-garage-opening.jpg   My project---my last home.-front-door-put-new-garage-door.jpg   My project---my last home.-house4.jpg  
Nealtw likes this.
Unread 05-06-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

ok, I think I am caught up--next time I am there I will make sure the plumber shows up so I can get those lines moved. I will work on the hallway/breezeway in the garage, have the pocket door to put in for the bathroom, and then some other small things need to be done.
Windows on Wash likes this.
Unread 05-14-2019, 08:20 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 46

Making progress
smashclash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 142

Looks great!
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,016

My stars, that is some serious undertaking, I love it. Looks like you got it going your way. It don't look like you need any help but if you do, we are here.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:46 PM   #15

Ok, I have been back to my project a couple of times since I last posted on here. So, since then I had a change of mind about the bathroom--after some more measuring I have decided to keep it in the same spot but add to how big it is. I have made the master bedroom much bigger but it is on the front side of the house and made the 2nd bedroom smaller and it is on the back side of the house. I believe I am completed on the framing of rooms, bathrooms, stairs, etc. This next week I am going to take some notes on where I want plug ins, switches, etc. in the house. I will also build the breezeway walls and get my new doorway framed up to the house from the garage--got the hole cut but didn't do anything else besides that yet. AND NO, not leaving that awful paneling in there--just using it for temp walls so I can get a better idea of the space I created.
Attached Thumbnails
My project---my last home.-garage-opening2.jpg   My project---my last home.-garage-opening.jpg   My project---my last home.-master-bathroom2.jpg   My project---my last home.-kitchen-extension.jpg   My project---my last home.-new-bathroom.jpg  

My project---my last home.-new-bathroom2.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement