Lighted Marquee Letters - Project Showcase - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Forum > Project Showcase

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By mahjohn
  • 1 Post By HenryMac
  • 1 Post By Toolmaker68

Old 12-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 163

Lighted Marquee Letters

On a short deadline for my daughter's wedding, however, completed this in a week. Letter are 40" high, made from 3/4" plywood, 1/4" plywood edging, and 1/8" plywood x 2 for inside the letter "O"
Attached Thumbnails
Lighted Marquee Letters-wedding-love.jpg   Lighted Marquee Letters-love.jpg  
Attached Images

Two Knots, Nealtw and HenryMac like this.
mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 952

Re: Lighted Marquee Letters

And lit my magic?? Fill us in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

Nicely done sir. I'm also curious about the illumination of choice.
mahjohn likes this.
HenryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #4

Sorry bout' that.

The lights are from Target, $10 for a string of 20 Edison bulbs, low amp drawer as you can connect four sets together . Please can be found in the non-holiday lamp and college dorm lighting section of the store.

the lights are spaced 2 inches in from each end and then 4 inches apart. 7/8" holes were drilled to accommodate the lights. each light has a clip as part of the base so you could clip it to some type of string strong across the room, however as that clip is plastic it allows it to snug in tightly into that 7/8 inch hole while you screw in a lightbulb on the other side and keeps it from falling out when on display.

all four letters were laid out on a single sheet of 4 x 8 3/4 plywood "LEVO, with that E turned backwards.

the edging was a single sheet of quarter inch plywood cut in strips perpendicular to the grain, for me this was in 4 foot strips 5 1/4" wide. strips were attached to the three-quarter inch plywood using 1-1/4" Brad nails. and in areas where quarter inch met quarter inch, 9/16 staples and wood glue.

Cutting perpendicular to the grain allowed the quarter inch strips to bend around the O. but given the flex on the plywood I opted to use 1-1/4" drywall screws and countersink them, which were then later filled with wood putty and sanded. screws 1/4 inch from each end, and another 1 inch from each and followed by one screw every 6 inches in sure that it wasn't going anywhere and made joining onto the next piece very easy.

for the Inoh O-ring , it was too tight to bend and had to use 1/8 plywood with countersink screws again, then overlaid another layer of 1/8 inch plywood again using screws but this time spaced in between the previous screws.

finished off with wood putty and screw holes , standing any overlaps on the O, and sprayed with a coat of primer, and a coat of outdoor latex.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #5

I forot to say one other thing about the lights , as they are wired in parallel , you can unscrew ones that you don't need. If you look at the letter L it has 14 G40 Bulbs, While the "O" has 22. I used five strings for four letters, disconnecting the bulbs I did not need and stretched out to connect to the next letter. as they push in tight with this clips into the hole, I marked on the backside which bulb to take out , and disconnect each string to make transportation easy. at the wedding I carried each letter in, plug back in the missing bulbs , and connected all the strings together. as you can see in the picture the lights give a nice glow and are not a harsh LED brightness , or too yellow in color so as to clash with the white paint

https://www.target.com/p/clear-globe...3/-/A-53197429

Last edited by mahjohn; 12-12-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 66

You did a great job and congrats to you and the happy couple-
mahjohn likes this.
Toolmaker68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker68 For This Useful Post:
mahjohn (12-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement