Whirlpool Gas Oven Does Not Stay On - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whirlpool gas oven does not stay on

I have a 3 year old Whirlpool Gas Range/Oven, Model# wfg510s0as1, we turn it on to 350 degrees, although the same has happened at both higher and lower temperatures, the temp indicator starts at 100 and climbs to 350, so far so good. We open the door, put in the food, and the oven is defiantly HOT. "Sometime" during the cooking time, the oven goes off on it's own, but the temperature indicator still reports it at 350 degrees. We see no indicator that the oven has turned itself off until we open the door to uncooked food and a cold oven. to restart the oven, we have to cancel and restart the cooking, otherwise the temp indicator continues reporting the oven temp to be 350.

I'm leaning towards the temp sensor, but before that expense, thought I would ask the experts.

Last edited by tonymorton; 01-23-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelling and additional info
tonymorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 07:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

Re: Whirlpool gas oven does not stay on

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorton View Post
I have a 3 year old Whirlpool Gas Range/Oven, Model# wfg510s0as1, we turn it on to 350 degrees, although the same has happened at both higher and lower temperatures, the temp indicator starts at 100 and climbs to 350, so far so good. We open the door, put in the food, and the oven is defiantly HOT. "Sometime" during the cooking time, the oven goes off on it's own, but the temperature indicator still reports it at 350 degrees. We see no indicator that the oven has turned itself off until we open the door to uncooked food and a cold oven. to restart the oven, we have to cancel and restart the cooking, otherwise the temp indicator continues reporting the oven temp to be 350.

I'm leaning towards the temp sensor, but before that expense, thought I would ask the experts.
the experts would be at Whirlpool ? not here
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #3
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,716

you can ohm the temp sensor to check it. At 100 degrees it should be about 1140 ohms at 350 degrees it should be about 1650 ohms. Sounds like its probably the oven control board.
tonymorton (01-23-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
speak for yourself
Old 01-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
speak for yourself
His response stirred me up too lol. Lot of thought in it. I'm leaning towards the control board as well. Try something, when the oven says it 350 and it is not calling for heat but oven is cold as you described, turn the power off to the oven, let it sit a minute or so then turn power on. Then turn your oven back to 350. If at that point the temp shows the oven is cool say 100 degrees or so I would be looking at a board changeout.
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BayouRunner For This Useful Post:
tonymorton (01-23-2017)
Old 01-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Zero points for trying, please drive though and stop trolling posts.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:14 PM   #7

Thanks to both BayouRunner and hardwareman on your honest replies. I know how difficult it is to try and resolve issues where you can't physically look things over, and I truly appreciate both of your inputs. I'll try what you said, and let you know the results.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 PM   #8

Well after checking the price of a control board, and then watching a video on changing that out, I've decided it's time to call the local repairman for assistance on this one. But I do thank those who provided viable responses, your valued input was appreciated!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 516

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorton View Post
Zero points for trying, please drive though and stop trolling posts.
to all of you that are pro's the guy probly doesn't a ohm meter or know how to use one and how does he tell the temps of the oven oh well i am not trolling i have been here for a long time and most don't have a clue ,, i would guess the mfd. would know what is wrong and not have guys trying to fix it oh well my 3 cent's

looks like i have been here longer than all of you check the join date ok don't do it

Last edited by del schisler; 01-24-2017 at 09:32 AM.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Quote:
to all of you that are pro's the guy probly doesn't a ohm meter or know how to use one and how does he tell the temps of the oven oh well i am not trolling i have been here for a long time and most don't have a clue ,, i would guess the mfd. would know what is wrong and not have guys trying to fix it oh well my 3 cent's

looks like i have been here longer than all of you check the join date ok don't do it
its a DIY chatroom in case you didn't realize where you've been posting for the last 7 years. Its a place where people come for advice on fixing their own appliances or whatever their working on. Maybe you should read through some of the posts here and the rest of the forums, it appears to me that there are a lot of experts on this site.
What is really funny is you think anyone would get expert technical advise by calling a factory 800 number
Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #11

Quote:

Longer does not mean smarter or more helpful.

Sure I know how to use a Voltmeter to read Ohms, after all, everyone knows what V=IR means, right? They taught me that in my first year of Tech School to become a Industrial Electrician. The Appliance and HVC courses each had their own classrooms, so no, I'm NOT a appliance repairman.

You most certainly may reply if you desire, but I won't be reading it, I've got the answers I was looking for, and don't want to continue feeding the troll.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonymorton For This Useful Post:
del schisler (01-25-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2

We have had the same problem for a few months. Back February, 2017, the repair guy replaced the temperature sensor - problem continued. In March, he replaced the oven control board - problem continued. He talked with Whirlpool for days and they finally said there had been a problem with models around that time because of static electricity during the change from AC to DC (???), so they sent him what I think was some type of magnet, at no charge, which he said would fix the issue - problem continued. We have left voice mails, and actually talked with one repair guy there, but no reply back. I'm thinking about replacing the bake igniter myself - is this a waste of time and money?
Thanks
glzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement