Whirlpool Fridge - Freezer Cold Fridge Warm - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 70

Whirlpool Fridge - Freezer Cold Fridge Warm

Hi, its that time of year again where we have to constantly unplug empty defrost and refill the damn fridge freezer. This happens mostly when the weather starts to warm up. The freezer is excessively cold and the fridge is too warm. Some things that may be of use...

. Model is GS6SHEXNS00
. Date of manufacture 11/04

I've done a bunch of amateur troubleshooting on this thing. At first I thought the clip on thermostat wasn't working and the freezer wasn't defrosting so I took the thing apart and tested the stat. It turned out to be OK and i know for sure that since I did that the freezer has gone through defrost.

I checked the trap/drain underneath the freezer to make sure defrost water was running out to the drip pan underneath.

I had an issue where the fridge just gave up completely. It was making loud noises like a relay opening and closing rapidly every time the door opened. Shortly after that it failed to operate (no lights, no sound). I took out the board and replaced a couple of parts...two transistors and a capacitor if memory serves. It was a hack that I found online and since I completed it the machine went back to normal (with the exception of this warm fridge side thing).

Its not so bad during the colder months but Spring /Summer is the worst by far. We live in a very old house with no AC so the inside temp in the house during the better weather is pretty high.

I've just read something about the Air Diffuser Damper as maybe the cause. I haven't looked at that yet. If anyone has an idea what I should try then I'm open to suggestions as buying a new fridge isn't in my immediate future. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
swearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Re: Whirlpool Fridge - Freezer Cold Fridge Warm

We had a similar problem when I decided to put a new gasket on the door. Leaving the unit run and the door open really felt good on a hot summer day, even with A/C running.

Leaving the unit run with door open wasn't such a good idea because the next morning it had symptoms identical to yours. Yes, the Air Diffuser was frozen solid with ice. I shut it down to defrost for 24 hours and all was well.

If that's the problem with yours I'm sorry I really don't have an answer for you as why.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by swearbox View Post
Hi, its that time of year again where we have to constantly unplug empty defrost and refill the damn fridge freezer. This happens mostly when the weather starts to warm up. The freezer is excessively cold and the fridge is too warm. Some things that may be of use...

. Model is GS6SHEXNS00
. Date of manufacture 11/04

I've done a bunch of amateur troubleshooting on this thing. At first I thought the clip on thermostat wasn't working and the freezer wasn't defrosting so I took the thing apart and tested the stat. It turned out to be OK and i know for sure that since I did that the freezer has gone through defrost.

I checked the trap/drain underneath the freezer to make sure defrost water was running out to the drip pan underneath.

I had an issue where the fridge just gave up completely. It was making loud noises like a relay opening and closing rapidly every time the door opened. Shortly after that it failed to operate (no lights, no sound). I took out the board and replaced a couple of parts...two transistors and a capacitor if memory serves. It was a hack that I found online and since I completed it the machine went back to normal (with the exception of this warm fridge side thing).

Its not so bad during the colder months but Spring /Summer is the worst by far. We live in a very old house with no AC so the inside temp in the house during the better weather is pretty high.

I've just read something about the Air Diffuser Damper as maybe the cause. I haven't looked at that yet. If anyone has an idea what I should try then I'm open to suggestions as buying a new fridge isn't in my immediate future. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Your near the end of it's life.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/expecte...tor-88577.html
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2017, 01:58 PM   #4

^^^ Yes but a fridge is just a set of component parts and a big box. Its longevity is only as good as the first part to fail. I'm certain that I can avoid buying a new one by changing out a defective part.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 952

Quote:
Originally Posted by swearbox View Post
^^^ Yes but a fridge is just a set of component parts and a big box. Its longevity is only as good as the first part to fail. I'm certain that I can avoid buying a new one by changing out a defective part.
I admire your tenacity in trying to extend it's life, hope the dollars don't add up in it's favor.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,830

https://www.repairclinic.com/RepairH...rm-GS6SHEXNS00
swearbox (05-18-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post

Thanks for that link...I'm thinking the damper may be the issue (cause number 3 in the link). Tomorrow I'll take it apart and look to see if I can find fault with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement