Whirlpool Dryer Doesn't Heat - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By FatBear
  • 2 Post By jeffmattero76
  • 1 Post By jeffmattero76
  • 1 Post By FatBear

Old 07-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Doozer

Rewards Points: 237

Whirlpool dryer doesn't heat

We normally dry our clothes on the line, but occasionally use a dryer. We have an old Whirlpool gas dryer that we use on those occasions. The last time we tried to use it, the clothes tumbled round and round, but never got hot. I checked all of the settings and the gas valve so I think the dryer is broken. Now that we need it again, I guess that means I have to fix it.

I know nothing about gas dryers. Before I go tearing into it, is there anything I should know? Safety issues, hints on what to look for, some safety interlock I didn't see, "it's usually the gimlet valve shaft", etc.? I think there's some sort of anti-blowback device in the supply line, do those go bad? It's almost as if the gas is turned off, but the valve is on.

Thanks.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,684

Re: Whirlpool dryer doesn't heat

Yes, it's always good to be safe. Unplug or turn off gas valve.

There are a few things it could be. Attached is a troubleshooting procedure you can use.

If you are uncertain or feel unsafe doing the troubleshooting hire a tech.

If dryer is really old, cut your loses and get a new one. Having a tech come out and fix the old one may easily be 300 plus or more depending what part or parts are bad. Just a suggestion.

https://removeandreplace.com/2018/04...-getting-heat/
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Doozer

Thanks for the troubleshooting info. That should be very helpful.

I don't really want to get a new dryer because it is buried way at the back of the shop side of my garage and I don't want to spend hours getting it out and a new one in. Plus I can usually figure out how to fix most repairable things, so why buy a new one if I can repair this one for a few bucks?
jmon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to FatBear For This Useful Post:
jmon (07-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

My guess is that the problem is the igniter. Normally, it glows bright orange to ignite the gas.

Open the panel on the bottom of the dryer, turn it on, and look for the orange glow after a few seconds. Even if it does glow, it may not be getting hot enough. It is a simple replacement, and the part will cost around $40.

I would suggest going to RepairClinic.com, entering the model number, and then watching the videos there to diagnose the problem.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
jmon and Dave Sal like this.
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 340

I had a problem with my Kenmore gas dryer a couple of years ago. It would tumble and get warm, but not enough to actually dry the clothes. I removed the lower panel and turned it on, watched the igniter glow red and the flame start. It stayed on for about 30 seconds and then would shut off. After a minute the process would repeat, but the flames would always cut off in a minute, not long enough to actually dry clothes. I ended up replacing the two gas valve solenoids and the dryer works like new.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
Doozer

I peered into the little hole and see the orange glow, but no flame. I did also check to see that I had good airflow out of the vent and I do.

I'll try to go through the whole troubleshooting procedure later this evening. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
I peered into the little hole and see the orange glow, but no flame. I did also check to see that I had good airflow out of the vent and I do.

I'll try to go through the whole troubleshooting procedure later this evening. Thanks.
Assuming the igniter is glowing hot enough, it sounds like a problem with the gas valve solenoids. In my case they were closing too soon. Replacing them solved the problem. Might be your problem too, except they are preventing the gas from flowing completely. They're pretty cheap though, so even if you bought them and found that this wasn't the issue you wouldn't be out too much money.

I did a search for Kenmore gas valve solenoid on Repair Clinic.com and this was the result. Might not be the ones for your specific model though.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDet...id/279834/3479
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post

Do you have a multimeter? If so, measure the resistance on the igniter. It can glow, but not be hot enough to allow the gas valve to open.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Dave Sal likes this.
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Doozer

Well months have passed while the dryer was buried behind more important projects. Fortunately it was summer and we dry on the line whenever we can, so haven't needed it.

I finally got to it, and found that one of the solenoid coils was open. I got some new coils I put it all back together and it gets hot.

Thank you all very much for the help and the links to those great videos. Having seen it done once, it was a piece of cake to do it myself.
Dave Sal likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement