The Washer, Dryer, And Dehumidifier Will Not Work. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Jeep Driver

Old 04-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
On the Road Less Traveled

Rewards Points: 127

The washer, dryer, and dehumidifier will not work.

I'm taking notes to organize my thoughts as I work through this... and I'm cut-and-pasting it into the Forum... We got home from vacation Saturday (the 27th.). Our house took on about 5" – 7” of water from a storm on the night of Thursday (the 25th) while we were gone. Family came over and dried out the lower level; laundry room is on the lower level. The washer, dryer, and dehumidifier will not work.

The washer... My sister tried to start a load of laundry, the washer would begin to fill, and then stop filling. Begin to fill, then stop. This repeated until the water was to the correct level. Nothing else would happen.

She turned the washer off and left it like that, with the clothes in and the tub full. I tried to get the washer to start by turning the control/timer knob to different positions. I could hear a buzzing sound, and I could smell something getting hot; 90% sure the smell is coming from the control/timer. By rotating the control knob, I was able to find an area that would run the pump, but it only runs for about 15 seconds. I had to open the lid, wait a minute, and manually press the switch on top of the cabinet... the switch the lid strike depresses that stops the tub from spinning if you open the lid... (sorry, I don't know what it's called) ...and I was able to get the water to drain be repeating this process. I messed around with the washer to see if I could get it to do anything else, with random results. I am 99% sure that the timer control is fried. It's a $200 part, so unless anyone has any other thoughts, the washer is junk. But it raises the question, how could 5” - 7” of water cause the timer control to burn out?

The dryer... Not operating. Checked the breaker, it's fine. Traced issue to the outlet. Replaced the outlet. Now dryer gets power, still won't work. Pushing the 'Start' button will produce a buzz, but nothing else, and only if the control knob is at one particular spot.

The dehumidifier still won't work, after two full days of drying out. It was on the same circuit as the washer. I'm thinking power surge....? Any other thoughts or suggestions before I go blow a grand on new appliances?
The Jeep Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,286

Re: The washer, dryer, and dehumidifier will not work.

Your washer motor is in the bottom of the washer, so it is conceivable that you got water in the windings and relays. It may begin working after a dry out period, but don't count on it.

Is the dryer receptacle at floor level(not common)? Turn the breaker completely off and then back on again to ensure you are getting 240 volts to the dryer. Test the receptacle with a multimeter to ensure that. Report findings.

Likewise turn off the breaker to the washer/dehumidifier to ensure proper reset. Check the voltage at the receptacle and let us know that.
The Following User Says Thank You to chandler48 For This Useful Post:
The Jeep Driver (04-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Your washer motor is in the bottom of the washer, so it is conceivable that you got water in the windings and relays. It may begin working after a dry out period, but don't count on it.
I just tried to run the washer; tub filled with water, then it just sits there and hums, no agitation, nothing. I can move the control knob to 'Spin' and the pump will run, but still for only 15 seconds, then I have to wait a minute or so, and either close the lid or depress that switch and it will again run for 15 seconds and stop. And I can smell something getting hot while it's running.

Quote:
Is the dryer receptacle at floor level(not common)?
No.
Quote:
Turn the breaker completely off and then back on again to ensure you are getting 240 volts to the dryer. Test the receptacle with a multimeter to ensure that. Report findings.
244 volts
Quote:
Likewise turn off the breaker to the washer/dehumidifier to ensure proper reset. Check the voltage at the receptacle and let us know that.
122 volts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,488

Check everything else in the house you may have a problem from the road and only getting one leg.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Check everything else in the house you may have a problem from the road and only getting one leg.
I checked each breaker with a multimeter, getting 122 - 124 at each one.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,286

How about the voltage at each receptacle. Just grabbin' at straws, here.
Old 04-28-2019, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
How about the voltage at each receptacle. Just grabbin' at straws, here.
All good, other than the dryer one, which I've replaced.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jeep Driver View Post
I just tried to run the washer; tub filled with water, then it just sits there and hums, no agitation, nothing. I can move the control knob to 'Spin' and the pump will run, but still for only 15 seconds, then I have to wait a minute or so, and either close the lid or depress that switch and it will again run for 15 seconds and stop. And I can smell something getting hot while it's running.

No. 244 volts
122 volts
sounds like a capacitor is dead, or there's dead wiring in the washer. I'd strongly suggest you stop trying to operate it unless you have it taken apart and examined by someone who knows what they're doing. that you're continuing to do it and can smell it getting hot is not doing you any favors.

since your dehumidifier is dead, and you haven't put another one down there to dry out the basement (??), it's very unlikely any of your appliances have actually dried out. there's probably still water sitting inside of internal components/condensed on the insides.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 04:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
sounds like a capacitor is dead, or there's dead wiring in the washer. I'd strongly suggest you stop trying to operate it unless you have it taken apart and examined by someone who knows what they're doing. that you're continuing to do it and can smell it getting hot is not doing you any favors.

since your dehumidifier is dead, and you haven't put another one down there to dry out the basement (??), it's very unlikely any of your appliances have actually dried out. there's probably still water sitting inside of internal components/condensed on the insides.
I took the washer apart, smells burnt on the inside, it's not worth fixing. And I have more than one dehumidifier, and the non-operating one was replaced on Friday.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #10
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,124

If you had 5 - 7" of water in the house you have much larger issues than your laundry equipment.

I think you should contact the insurance adjuster and have a complete inspection so you can buy new equipment.

Hopefully you had flood insurance.

Sorry for you loss -
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement