Tankless Electric Water Heater - For Condo Unit - Price/ Efficiency/ Usefulness?? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 213

Tankless Electric Water Heater - For Condo Unit - Price/ Efficiency/ Usefulness??

I was wondering if Tankless Electric Water Heaters work well. I've heard mixed reviews from people.

Anyone recommend a brand or type that can just be installed where I already have a 40 gal tanked water heater.

It's for a small 640 SF one bedroom Condominium. We just want to allow more space.

Can it just be installed easily where there was a previous Tanked water heater? Does it need a special vent?

Similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stiebel-E...-203210867-_-N

Also to those who have installed one in their unit or house, does it work well? Does it give steady hot water flow? Does it save money?

Also does anyone recommend a small hybrid tank water heater (energy star)? Similar to this: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...968&cId=detail

Last edited by crayola110; 10-12-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Which one is more energy efficient a hybrid TANK water heater (energy star) or a TANKLESS water heater?
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 224

The unit requires a 60 amp @ 240 volt circuit, do you have the power available?

Also it only provides 1.8 gallons per minute at 45 degree temperature rise. That is not much hot water. And a bigger electric unit requires even more power.

My thought on the hybrid unit is that it will wear out before you see any savings.

rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,130

I'd be wary of putting in an electric tankless in your situation. As rjniles said, you may not have enough capacity to run it. And unless prices have really gone down in the past five years or so, that model you link to seems seriously cheap.

We have a gas tankless unit in our house (a Rheem Eco-Sense from Home Depot). It cost, as I recall, around $1200. I installed it myself. We went tankless to save space, to ensure endless hot water, and just because I wanted to try the technology knowing it would never pay for itself in my lifetime. In the five years we've lived in the house, there has never been a problem of any kind with the unit. Nor have I done any maintenance whatsoever on it. They do need to be descaled once in a while if your water is hard, but ours isn't. I plan to do it soon anyway just to be sure it's clean.

One thing to consider with a gas unit is venting it. Mine came with enough pipe to vent it right through the outside wall I mounted it on. If you can't mount to an outside wall, things could get expensive - depending on the type of pipe needed, the stuff can cost as much as $25-$30 per foot.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 10-13-2014 at 11:27 PM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 119

I've been looking at the same Hybrid water heater. Between the discounts from the box store, and a $500 rebate from NJ, the sale cost for the unit for me would about the same as a similar size electric.

As for savings, most standard electric heaters use over 4,500 kWh per year (over 4,700 for one Rheem I'm looking at), according to the Energy Guide labels. For the GE Hybrid, the Energy Guide label shows rather a bit less than 2,000 kWh per year (1,875 IIRC). That's down in gas water heater territory for the annual cost.

Biggest thing to consider with the hybrid is that it needs air to pull all that heat from. They usually recommend a space of 1,000 cu. ft (10x10x10), but you can get by with smaller spaces if there is ventilation of the space to larger spaces. Like placing the heater in a closet, and changing the door out for one with louvers.
viggen61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 8,704

The tankless model you posted. Can heat 1.5 gallons a minute from 50 to 105(55 degree temp rise) degrees.
Advertisement