Range Operating On LP Without A Conversion - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hook75

Old 04-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Range operating on LP without a conversion

Hi guys - looking for some advice here.

I moved into a new house in the fall and it's rural so the heating source is Liquid Propane.
The oven that came with the house was electric. We immediately hired a company to run a propan line to the kitchen and install our brand new GE Cafe range.

Being out first time on propane we didn't realize anything was wrong right away.
We noticed a strange odour, large flames and black soot over everything. We called the gas company and the service tech came out to look at it and said it was fine.

We kept using it and called them again a few weeks later as we knew something wasn't right. The service tech called us (didn't even come to the house) and said it was an air/fuel mixture issue and to call the appliance company.

We called our extended warranty on the actual appliance as directed. They came out and immediately shut it down saying it wasn't converted to LP by the gas installer.

We operated this thing all winter without any type of conversion!!

We called the gas company back and they came out yesterday and did the conversion and cleaned all of the soot out of the stove.

My questions are;

Would this cause any long term damage to the range...should I be demanding that they replace it since it was brand new when they hooked it up wrong?

Would this cause me to use an excessive amount of propane operating it this way? Should they be on the hook for a portion of my propane bill?

Thanks for any assistance. Like I said, new to this whole propane thing.

Cheers
Hook75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #2
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 10,012

Re: Range operating on LP without a conversion

LPG has almost 3x the energy content as compared to natural gas.

Your regulator is designed to mix natural gas with air at the proper ratio. Now you are using LPG which has almost 3x the energy....hence, the mix ratio is now all wrong.

Chances are your stove is now producing significant amounts of CO (translation, carbon monoxide...the colorless gas that kills you)

It's not going to hurt the range.....but you might not be around to find out if it does.

To continue to use the stove as is will only end up adding you to the list of Darwin candidates.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #3

thanks for the reply, but maybe I wasn't totally clear.

the range is now operating on LP and has been converted to a LP range. Question is; while it was operating incorrectly....would that have caused any long term issues with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook75 View Post

the range is now operating on LP and has been converted to a LP range. Question is; while it was operating incorrectly....would that have caused any long term issues with it?
If it's working fine now, no issues. If you start making demands on the installer, it's going to come down to who was supposed to inform who that the range you bought was not set up for propane.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

I strongly disagree with just letting it go.

I paid a lot of money for them to install the gas line and range. They are professionals (supposedly) and don't know the difference between NG and LP?
They could have killed my family...
If they didn't feel responsible for the instillation, I highly doubt they would come back to convert it and then clean my range out of the kindness of their heart.

Besides that, I have all paperwork from them where they specifically wrote on the work order "appliances hooked up and safe to use at this time".
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:02 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 10,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
LPG has almost 3x the energy content as compared to natural gas.

Your regulator is designed to mix natural gas with air at the proper ratio. Now you are using LPG which has almost 3x the energy....hence, the mix ratio is now all wrong.

Chances are your stove is now producing significant amounts of CO (translation, carbon monoxide...the colorless gas that kills you)

It's not going to hurt the range.....but you might not be around to find out if it does.

To continue to use the stove as is will only end up adding you to the list of Darwin candidates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook75 View Post

I missed the part about the conversion being done....but I did answer the part about it hurting the range....which it won't.

Now that you are converted, you are fine.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 1,790

Quote:
Nope,...
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

Thanks for the help
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 534

Most likely they wouldn't have known how to convert it. Just for your info most manufacturers will convert it for you if its a new install. They have always paid us and we have never collected a dime from the homeowners. When the homeowners call they try to discourage it and direct you to factory service. It's not hard but each manufacturer might have a different way to go about it. They feel better if they have it done for you. You have not damaged anything
BayouRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement