Premier ProSeries Gas Oven No Spark - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Premier ProSeries Gas Oven No Spark

Greetings all. My Premier ProSeries Gas Range Model No. P30S328BP oven is not getting spark from the spark control module (Harper Wyman P/N 6547G; customer P/N 2356). As I understand the operation, initially, turning the oven temp control knob to something other than off causes the spark control module to generate a spark lighting the gas pilot at the oven. Once the pilot light is lit, the spark control module stops sending ignition spark. Other than initial start-up, the oven operates normally if I set an oven temperature and then turn a range burner to START position, causing the spark control module to send spark to all of the burners and the oven. The switch at the oven temp control knob that actuates the spark control module checks good when measured from wires connected to COMMON and REIG. terminals of the spark control module. That is, I get open when oven control knob OFF, and continuity when oven control knob set to something other than OFF.

Question 1: How does the spark control module know when the pilot is lit? Link to mfg info https://www.frenchranges.com/wp-cont...r-brochure.pdf indicates some sort of flame sensing, but I don't see anything on the schematic nor wired in.

Question 2: What else besides the spark control module would cause these symptoms?
Hal_Ferguson78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #2

Re: Premier ProSeries Gas Oven No Spark

I've read further on this and some text indicates that the pilot flame itself acts as a conductor and shunts the spark. I'm not sure that applies to this unit as plugging the oven igniter into one of the stove outputs of the spark control module causes the igniter to successfully light the pilot flame, but the igniter continues to spark even after the pilot flame is lit.

No one knows how the spark to the oven igniter is turned off once the pilot flame is lit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 03:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,632

I don't know ovens/stoves, but i'll take a shot:

from your link says it uses flame rectification.

This is the same as in furnaces, basically there's a flame sensing rod the control applies power to, when the pilot lights it conducts a tiny amount of electricity to ground, the module senses this tiny current and knows to open the main gas valve.

This is not the same as the spark, separate electrode and it jumps to ground, not used for sensing.

Do you have a schematic for the entire range?
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 02-01-2018 at 03:12 AM.
user_12345a is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user_12345a For This Useful Post:
Hal_Ferguson78 (02-01-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #4
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,716

sounds like you have a bad ignitor. When you turn the oven on the thermostat sends power to the spark module which sends power to the ignitor, at the same time gas flows to the pilot and ignites. When the sensor bulb senses enough heat it will open the gas valve for oven heating and at the same time tell the module to stop ignition to the pilot
Hal_Ferguson78 (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks the note on flame rectification User12345a. Schematic here:
http://s350.photobucket.com/user/Hal...?sort=3&page=1

I'll do some more reading.

Last edited by Hal_Ferguson78; 02-01-2018 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Attempt to include image
Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the reply HardWareMan. I've (hopefully) posted the schematic on the unit and would be happy to check (if possible with my Fluke DMM) this signal / return from the ignitor to the spark control module.

Thanks again!

If I have to start replacing stuff until the units works, I reckon the cheaper ignitor is a good place to start.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:29 PM   #7

I'm trying to make sense of it.

I don't see the oven gas valve in the picture, nor the flame sensor. this doesn't look like a complete diagram.

I do see there's a connection for manual, like if you switch the stove top burner on, it'll start sparking, the knob must send power to the module.

The connection labelled Reig appears to be for the oven and is applied presumably by a separate oven control that manages gas valve operation, flame sensing, etc.

I don't know what the rectangle labelled oven is, if it's just a knob or a whole control.

When it's supposed to be sparking the pilot I think, but am not 100% sure you're supposed to be getting line voltage between reig and neutral.

If you have a multimeter, you can see if there's voltage there when it's trying to spark the pilot.

I would need more info on the stove to give more specific advise.

I know furnaces and most the theory is applicable to other appliances, just a question of figuring out how the manufacturer does things.
I am not in the business of any trade I give advice on. I have non-professional hvac experience + good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.

Last edited by user_12345a; 02-01-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #8

i found another schematic here too - https://www.premierrange.com/tutoria...structions.pdf

Says spark/thermocouple, but the link for module says flame rectification.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #9

Thanks again for the reply Mr. User. I've taken a couple shots of the ignitor, which hopefully show up below.

I think those blocks are the control knobs on what they call a wiring diagram as opposed to a schematic, alas. I'm intrigued by HardwareMan's description of how the oven tells the spark control module to stop sparking, because that seems to agree with the configuration of the ignitor. I don't see a separate thermo-switch that would talk to the spark control module.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

it's hard to tell in the pictures, do you have two wires going to the pilot assembly or one?

Or one wire, insulated plus a sensing bulb?

still can't help you without a full schematic?

the link for the module said flame rectification but it doesn't look like yours uses that system.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:16 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Success!

As noted in previous post, we were lighting the oven by turning the oven temp control knob to desired oven temp, and then turning on a range burner to "start" for 10 secs or so, causing spark at the range burner and the oven.

On 29 April 2019, we lost spark at the range burners too. I ordered an Exact Replacement Part (ERP) spark control module 6547S0001 shortly thereafter, it showed up within a week, I and swapped it in and voilą! Spark at burners and oven restored. Turns out the problem was the spark control module all along.

I still don't know how the spark control module knows how it's time to stop sending the spark to the oven once the safety / pilot flame is lit, but it seems to know how to do it so I reckon I'll leave it be.

Thanks again for all the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6547g , harper , p30s328bp , premier , spark control module