Overgassed Stove - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #1

What does over gassed stove mean? The gas co told me our stovetop may be overgassed. Who should check this? Plumber or appliance person. Thanks
Home4mycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 470

Re: Overgassed stove

Maybe you could have asked the gas company when they told you. Call them and ask. Or call an appliance repair shop and ask them

Handy Andy In Mt Airy NC
HandyAndyInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 845

What prompted them to say this? Why were you talking to the gas CO?
What problems are you having with the stove?
chiraldude is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndyInNC View Post
Maybe you could have asked the gas company when they told you. Call them and ask. Or call an appliance repair shop and ask them
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
What prompted them to say this? Why were you talking to the gas CO?
What problems are you having with the stove?
The gas co wont tell me exactly bc they were not techs. They said just have someone look.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home4mycats View Post
The gas co wont tell me exactly bc they were not techs. They said just have someone look.

Logging on to "DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum" doesn't constitute having someone look. Gas is nothing to be trifled with. If you're having problems with a gas appliance, I recommend you get it checked immediately for your safety and the safety of your neighbors.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Quote:

Logging on to "DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum" doesn't constitute having someone look. Gas is nothing to be trifled with. If you're having problems with a gas appliance, I recommend you get it checked immediately for your safety and the safety of your neighbors.
Yes I realize that. I've been trying to get someone. I'm just trying to understand the issue.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Your going to need an appliance guy. But heís going to have to be one knowledgeable in gas. It may be the air shutters need adjustment. May be the burners themselves and last but least likely the orifice changed. Problem is we donít know why your gas company said that. They didnít turn the gas off which is something they would do if you had a major issue. Did they run a co2 test? Or are the flames slightly orange or yellow? Is pilot blowing out when burner lights? Maybe a bad regulator.Maybe the flames are just too high. Really need to know what they are raising the red flags about.
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 1,784

"Raising red flags" but not attaching red tags, which is a good thing.
BayouRunner likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
Your going to need an appliance guy. But he’s going to have to be one knowledgeable in gas. It may be the air shutters need adjustment. May be the burners themselves and last but least likely the orifice changed. Problem is we don’t know why your gas company said that. They didn’t turn the gas off which is something they would do if you had a major issue. Did they run a co2 test? Or are the flames slightly orange or yellow? Is pilot blowing out when burner lights? Maybe a bad regulator.Maybe the flames are just too high. Really need to know what they are raising the red flags about.
Exactly! I tried calling 2x to find out what the issue was and they said look at the slip which says "overgassed maybe". They turned off the gas to the stove itself and red tagged it so we gotta eat take out for a week till this stove guru comes.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 366

Was the stove originally set up for propane?
fa_f3_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,712

Quote:
The gas co wont tell me exactly bc they were not techs.
Quote:
They turned off the gas to the stove itself and red tagged it....

They were not techs, but they came to your house and red-tagged the stove? A lot missing from this story.

But sorry, I don't know what overgassed means either. Maybe one of our HVAC pros will see this thread.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4

Overgassed: Too much gas flow, either from a pressure regulator problem or an orifice problem. Can show up in either overly large flames or what is described as a roaring sound when the gas is turned up.

If this is a new problem, the regulator on the stove may be bad. It can be swapped out with a reasonable amount of work if you are comfortable working with gas.

Is there a possibility that an orifice for LP gas is on a natural gas stove or vice versa?
cabanillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:42 PM   #13
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanillas View Post
Overgassed: Too much gas flow, either from a pressure regulator problem or an orifice problem. Can show up in either overly large flames or what is described as a roaring sound when the gas is turned up.

YES... what he said^.

Quote:
If this is a new problem, the regulator on the stove may be bad. It can be swapped out with a reasonable amount of work if you are comfortable working with gas.
A regulator is not difficult to change, but getting the fittings tight enough to be leak-proof can be challenging for someone without experience. It takes a good deal of tightening to get a leek-proof seal. Personally, I do virtually ALL of my own work at the house, but I leave all of the roof work, concrete work, masonry work, HVAC work, and gas plumbing to others who are much more proficient at it.

Quote:
Is there a possibility that an orifice for LP gas is on a natural gas stove or vice versa?
If the orifice is incorrect, it would be a LP orifice on a "natural gas" stove application because the LP operates at lower pressures and they require larger openings in the orifices to supply the same amount of gas required for cooking.

There are orifice jets in each burner which are easy that change with minimal tooling, and no gas line work. I have one burner in my 5-burner top which was dedicated as a "simmer" burner, but I can make it a "regular" burner by simply replacing the orifice jet inside the burner with one which has a sightly larger opening (from the top without opening a gas line).

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
If the orifice is incorrect, it would be a LP orifice on a "natural gas" stove application because the LP operates at lower pressures and they require larger openings in the orifices to supply the same amount of gas required for cooking.
I think that's backwards. LP operates at 11", NG is at 7"
A NG orifice is a bit larger than one for LP. Overgas would only be in the case of a NG orifice on LP service.
OP didn't say whether Propane or Natural gas. We are all assuming NG

Last edited by chiraldude; 05-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.
chiraldude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:08 AM   #15
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
I think that's backwards. LP operates at 11", NG is at 7"
A NG orifice is a bit larger than one for LP. Overgas would only be in the case of a NG orifice on LP service.
OP didn't say whether Propane or Natural gas. We are all assuming NG

Thanks for the correction! I should have double-checked my memory before porting.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement