Opinions On Speed Queen Top Loaders? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By hardwareman
  • 1 Post By r0ckstarr
  • 1 Post By Chris130

Old 11-13-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 82

Opinions on Speed Queen top loaders?

My 5yr old Maytag is dying a loud, slow death. This week, actually makes exactly 5 years that we've owned it. It's just my girlfriend and myself who have used it, and compared to the average family, I would say that it's had minimal usage over the last 5 years.

The bottom bearing is failing, and is a non-serviceable part. In order to replace the bearing, I have to replace the entire gearcase, which is a $250-$300 part. Currently, the spin cycle is so loud that I can hear my washing machine running with the garage closed, 4 houses away. It's loud.

I've been thinking, do I want to spend half the cost of the machine and replace this part (DIY replacement looks easy), and risk something else costly breaking on it in the future. What if I only get a couple more years out of the new part and have to replace it again? At that point, I could have bought a new machine. We never really liked the way the machine cleaned, because of the lack of agitator and the clothes barely get wet. So maybe this is a way out of it?

Either way, I remember a thread on here a couple years ago about commercial washing machines for the home, and I really think there were a few people who praised the Speed Queen. I found a couple non-big box appliance dealers nearby who can get me a Speed Queen, and am wondering if those people who own(ed) a Speed Queen are still here? If so, what's your opinion on them at this point? Any appliance repairmen that can give their say? Are there any other top loaders to be considered, other than the WhirlTagKenAid's?

Not after any fancy bells, whistles, doo-dads, or Wifi electronics.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 9,466

Re: Opinions on Speed Queen top loaders?

I would plan on buying new after I took it apart. You don't have to got to maytag for the bearing, they have numbers on them or they can be measured.
If it like this one. does not look hard. The little pipe between the bearings you see when he re assembles it might be a problem as it might have a crush factor and needs to be replaced. but that might be cheated by adding another thin shim washer there. For the cost of the bearing I would give it a try before replacing the unit.

The pros may have more knowledge and tell me I'm crazy.

Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (11-13-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #3

The price for the part was not through Maytag.

I've seen that video. That's a stator drive washer? I think I have the name right, or close. Mine is nothing like that. It's a different design. You cannot just get the bearing. You have to get the entire gearcase.

Here's what I followed to determine my problem. It also explains the different design:

https://applianceassistant.com/appli...-0c076bc3-a0f3

Mine is the MVWX700XL2 model.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 11-13-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
retired framer

So they tell you the problem and the cause but they don't say they did anything to fix the cause.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #5

The fix is replacement of the gearcase and bottom seal.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstarr View Post
The fix is replacement of the gearcase and bottom seal.
And you are going to get a better seal than the factory did?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,716

replace the washer. The Speed Queen models are tanks and easy to work on
Nealtw likes this.
r0ckstarr (11-14-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

After a lot of reading over the Bravos X repairs and known problems, I decided to put the money I would have spent fixing it into a new washing machine. I took my old washer apart and 100% verified that it was the non-serviceable bearing inside the gearcase. You could feel the bearing dragging when turning the shaft by hand.

I'm pretty impressed with the Speed Queen so far. It's got an actual working agitator, unlike the small bump you find on most other washers. You can set the water level, unlike on my old Bravos X where it spent 10 minutes "sensing" the size of the load and barely giving you enough water.

The Speed Queen washes clothes like I remember from washing machines when I was a kid. As soon as you push the start button, it immediately starts adding water. This startled me and caused me to jump the first time I did it, because I was so used to pushing the start button on the Bravos and waiting 10mins for it to do anything.

But, what really impressed me was the first load of laundry I did. I have a pair of tan cargo pants that I use for yardwork. I've had them for about 5yrs and have only ever washed them in the Bravos. After 5yrs of yardwork, they were looking a bit old, worn, and stained up. The tan was turning to a dingy looking grey color that I just assumed was stains.

After one wash in the SpeedQueen, the tan no longer looks a dingy grey color. They actually look like a nice worn bright tan pair of pants. We also noticed this with some of our towels. They came out looking brighter and cleaner. We compared this to some towels which were washed in the Bravos the day before and there was a noticeable difference. Clearly, the old Bravos X wasn't doing its job and we had been wearing less-than-clean clothes. After noticing this, we put the Speed Queen to the test. The first day, it saw "commercial" duty because we rewashed everything we own.

We never liked the way the Bravos washed, because it never seemed like there was enough water going to to the clothes, and sometimes parts of the clothes wouldn't even get wet and you'd have to do another wash.

The Speed Queen can do a full load of laundry in 24mins, where-as the exact same load in the Bravos would take 45mins to an hour.

I got it from a small family owned appliance shop who has guys that specialize in repairing Speed Queens, though he says they don't get many calls to fix them. I assume anybody selling you a product would tell you that though.

So, what happened to my old Bravos? I stripped the console, main board, water valves, and glass lid off and listed them on eBay. Maybe someone else could use the parts to fix theirs. I scrapped the rest. I got a whole $3.50 cents for it.

The total weight of the Bravos was 114 pounds. The Speed Queen weighs 195 pounds. When looking under the skirt of the Queen, it appears to have more metal parts, and the Bravos was mostly plastic.

I originally had intended to do a 'DIY repair thread' with step-by-step pictures. At the time of making this thread, I was already second guessing the idea of fixing the old one. The more I read about my old washer and the SpeedQueen made me change my tune.

TLDR: Scrapped the Maytag Man, got the Queen.
Chris130 likes this.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 11-21-2017 at 11:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
Chris130 (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
FIDO...

Rewards Points: 299

Thank you for the write-up!

I'm going to be in the market pretty soon, and I've been leaning toward getting SQ -- your review is a great warm-fuzzy that that's the right direction to keep heading!

Cheers, Chris
r0ckstarr likes this.
Chris130 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
speed queen , top loader , washing machine