Not Able To Get HOT Water In HE Top Load Washer - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Angry

Not able to get HOT water in HE Top Load Washer

We recently moved into a new home and have a brand new GE top load high efficiency washing machine, which I have come to hate... for several reasons. One of my biggest issues with it is that it seems impossible to get a hot wash. When I select "hot" for the water temperature, I get water that is lukewarm at best. The only way to get truly hot water is use the "sanitize" cycle which heats the water through a heating device in the machine. However, the sanitize cycle doesn't use as much water as I would like. (I usually run my loads on "bulky" to get a higher water level.) Also, it takes THREE HOURS to run the sanitize cycle. So I am trying to figure out some other way to get a hot wash without having to use the heating element in the machine. Has anyone else had this issue and found a way to work around it?
heythr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 736

I suppose you could do some creative plumbing on the outside of the machine, where the hot and cold inputs both have hot water going to them
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,190

Don't know anything about HE, our machine was on that boat that was behind the Mayflower. Possibly that's why it's called HE, saving hot water.

I'm wondering if closing the cold supply valve would solve the problem when a hottie load was desired. It might pay to check in the manual if that would be desirable or could cause damage. I know it wouldn't hurt anything on ours.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #4

I haven't tried that yet, but from what I've gathered so far, it seems that the issue is cold water is already in the hot water pipes. You know how you have the let the hot water run for a few minutes before it actually gets hot? Since the machine uses so little water, by the time the actual hot water starts coming through, the machine is already nearly filled. I have tried running the hot water through the faucet in the bathroom that is on the same water line as the washer is for a few minutes before filling the washer. I also tried filling the washer with "hot" water, then immediately draining and refilling again with "hot" water. Neither action made much of a difference.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 218

On some of the HE's Hot = Warm. HE's use as little water as possible to get the job done. As @SeniorSitizen suggests, you could just turn off the cold water.
Old 08-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,190

Being there is a hot only choice and you've tried filling twice, I'm really not seeing any answer except possibly turning up the hot water heater temperature until the desired washer water temperature is reached.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 949

The government mandated these new energy efficient machines....they are designed to use less hot water and less water in total.

Rather than turning the cold water faucet off as has been suggested you could just drill out a larger aperture on the hot water mixing valve. That will allow more hot water into the machine as it fills.

Don't tell "Big Brother" or they may come and confiscate your machine because you are destroying the earth.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #8

I'm all for being "eco-friendly" in general, but when it means I can't get my clothes to come out clean, it's downright annoying. If I drill a larger hole in the mixing valve, will that affect the temperature of the water when I have it set on "cold"?
The Following User Says Thank You to heythr23 For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (08-09-2015)
Old 08-08-2015, 04:40 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 949

Quote:
Originally Posted by heythr23 View Post
I'm all for being "eco-friendly" in general, but when it means I can't get my clothes to come out clean, it's downright annoying. If I drill a larger hole in the mixing valve, will that affect the temperature of the water when I have it set on "cold"?
Before you go after your machine with a drill, consider selling it on e-Bay and buying a Hotpoint top load washer. For a variety of reasons Hotpoint does not have to comply with the new EPA regs.

Hot wash is a hot wash in a Hotpoint, everyone else is luke warm.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 137

All washer's sold in the U.S. must comply with EPA energy standards. The Hotpoint (actually made by GE) washers do provide a true hot wash fill as do some other brands. The hotpoint washers do however have a cold rinse only and the rinse fill level is very low and the agitation cycle is very short during the rinse cycle. The spin cycle time is short as well for both wash and rinse cycles. This is how they meet EPA standards. You can however, simply turn on the power rinse function to get a full rinse level and extended spin times. That function is only "supposed" to be used if your using liquid fabric softener. This is how they get away with bypassing EPA standards. Testing to comply with standards is only done during a "normal" wash cycle...i.e. not using fabric softener. Also, these are not Energy Star rated washers which are designed to exceed EPA energy standards. Energy Star rated washers generally use 20-30 percent less energy than required by EPA standards.
thefixer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:16 AM   #11
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,412

"heythr23"- -in your post #4 you stated the very reason that you don't have hot water when the washing machine starts it's cycle: The hot water line from the water heater to the washing machine has cool water in it when the cycle starts. IF you could run water through the hot water line, as you would say the kitchen sink, then you would have hot water for the wash cycle. My daughter had this very problem and needed hot water for baby clothes, etc. I put one of those hot water recirculation systems in for the washing machine and that solved the problem. She liked it so much that I had to install one on the hot water piping at the kitchen sink which also feeds the dishwasher.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #12

I've heard of the hot water recirculation systems before. Is it a minor installation to make or does it require a lot of work to get one put in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
plumbing , washing machine troubles