My Whirlpool Doesn't Love Me Anymore. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 5 Post By Old Thomas
  • 4 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 3 Post By Nealtw

Old 12-24-2019, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 93

My Whirlpool doesn't love me anymore.

We bought this washer in 2010. It's gotten light usage 2-3 loads a week.

Model WFW9150ww00. This is one without a numeric display. Have to count flashes.

Some very odd behaviour:

From when it was young, it would give a 'too much soap' error, always on the extra rinse cycle. Unplug, wait 10 minutes. Run a rinse spin cycle, restart. Fine.

Lately we've been getting fill errors -- 6 minute not enough water.

This morning the door was unlocked while it had 3 inches of water above the front lip in it. Surprise!

Ok. Cleaned that up.

Pulled it out from the wall to tilt back to take off the lower front panel. Our suds problems seemed connected with trapped in the drain filter. One time I pulled 35 bucks in bills and coins out. (Note to Self: "Self, empty your pockets before tossing clothes in the wash.) This time a few small twigs and a bunch of dog hair.

Lowered it back down. Test with a rinse cycle. Fill is INCREDIBLY slow. Fails with slow fill.

Pull it back out. Take off hoses. Yes they have reasonable flow.

Put hoses back on. Repeat rinse cycle.

GFI trips.

Reset GFI

Repeat 3 times.

Turn power button off immediately after GFI reset.

Set to different cycle.

Start.

Go back to slow fill.

Ok.

There is a diagnostics paper in the front panel. Instructions say hit any set of 3 buttons 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 in 8 seconds to get into diagnostics mode.

Doesn't happen. Tried it half a dozen times with different combinations of power on etc.

Option 1:

I have two valve failures. Unlikely.

I have a mainboard failure.

Something else.
sgbotsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 11:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,012

Re: My Whirlpool doesn't love me anymore.

10 years old, I would kick it out to the curb and buy a new one. Get a basic $500 top loading white one with knob controls, no expensive computer boards to fry. I think ours has 4 cycles, all we use is one cycle, one water temperature and one rinse setting. All I really need is one that is on or off, but that simple is hard to get.
I have taken them apart, replaced a myriad of parts, had repeated failures, pissed off the wife and been to the laundromat to shut her up. Now I just get a new one, it makes my life easier.

Last edited by Old Thomas; 12-24-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Thomas For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (12-24-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 11:39 PM   #3
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 1,226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Thomas View Post
10 years old, I would kick it out to the curb and buy a new one. Get a basic $500 top loading white one with knob controls, no expensive computer boards to fry. I think ours has 4 cycles, all we use is one cycle, one water temperature and one rinse setting. All I really need is one that is on or off, but that simple is hard to get.
I have taken them apart, replaced a myriad of parts, had repeated failures, pissed off the wife and been to the laundromat to shut her up. Now I just get a new one, it makes my life easier.

OLDT..... I disagree with ya buddy.......

We have one of those things with all the different buttons and colored flashing lights...(don't really use any)..... BUT I dragged it out to the living room this year , sprayed some fake snow on it and put some cheap ornaments on it.....and it lights up great and saved $100 on a X-mas tree

Best
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 462

If you give up on this washer, get a SpeedQueen. Their TR3000 can be had for $899. SpeedQueen is used in many commercial laundromats. I've had mine for a couple of years now and it's been flawless and is still under warranty.

https://speedqueen.com/products/home...-load-washers/
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 973

Check the hot and cold input faucets for proper flow....they will get clogged over time and slow water flow to the point where the washer will time out on low flow.

I realize you said you checked the hoses for flow but did you check the faucets? The problem may not be the washer.

Good time to clean or replace the hose screens too.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:45 AM   #6
retired framer

Rewards Points: 9,468

My Whirlpool doesn't love me anymore.

It never loved you, it has been planning this for years and waiting for the very best time to get even for what ever it thought you did to abuse it.
huesmann, SeniorSitizen and JBoot like this.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 366

Your particular problem may be computer related.

When I buy a new clothes washer...and it breaks down...I let the service guy (under warranty or extended warranty) take care of it. He usually just comes in with two computer circuit boards under his arm and switches them out with the old ones. When questioned, the answer almost always is "it's a design problem or they are just using cheap C parts."

One would think with all the scientific/mechanical advances, that a newer machine would be absolutely flawless. Instead, in many cases, we find that some manufacturers are making (importing) inferior products "to keep the costs down for you consumers."

Not only are they using "cheaper" parts, but the design of some products needs to be questioned. For instance, some clothes washers have the computers in an area that is exposed to high humidity, and in some cases, in direct "splash" or "drip" areas with little or no protection. In engineering school, they are supposed to teach about not exposing electrical parts to areas with water! Computer boards require an even more protective environment.

I hope the auto industry doesn't try this model, i.e., placing computer circuit boards in areas exposed to high humidity and/or water. Oh wait, I see they placed a computer circuit board in my truck's engine compartment with very little protection (e.g., heat, water, humidity, dirt).

Is this being frugal, cunning, or a lack of common sense?

Last edited by JBoot; 12-27-2019 at 10:46 AM.
JBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoot View Post
I hope the auto industry doesn't try this model, i.e., placing computer circuit boards in areas exposed to high humidity and/or water. Oh wait, I see they placed a computer circuit board in my truck's engine compartment with very little protection (e.g., heat, water, humidity, dirt).

The auto industry does the same stupid things. My car has the ABC control module sitting right next to the exhaust manifold, protected by a thin heat shield made of aluminum. The ABS modules are a common failure on these cars, and it's all because of poor design.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
OLDT..... I disagree with ya buddy.......

We have one of those things with all the different buttons and colored flashing lights...(don't really use any)..... BUT I dragged it out to the living room this year , sprayed some fake snow on it and put some cheap ornaments on it.....and it lights up great and saved $100 on a X-mas tree

Best
I am reconsidering...
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
appliances , washing machine