LG Refrigerator Leaks, But It's Not A Frozen Drain Hole - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NABRIL

Old 03-11-2018, 04:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 297

Hello.. As of a few weeks, my LG French door refrigerator makes a louder than normal hissing noise when I dispense water, and I hear water dripping. I pulled out the fridge, and sure enough there is a puddle on the floor.
I researched and came across videos that pointed to a frozen freezer section, so I took apart the bottom freezer and did not find any frozen chunks of anything; I poured water down the drain hole, and it hit the drip pan right away = there is no blockage. Defeated, I assembled it all back which took some time, so any possible nonvisible frozen chunk should have softened. After assembly, the hissing and leaking continues from the blue piece in the back that connects to the water supply line.
What else can I try or test or replace perhaps? The water does dispense, but very slowly.
Thank you
NABRIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #2

After more investigation and with another pair of hands at home, I discovered that the white hose coming out of the water inlet valve is sliced and leaks big time about 4 inches after leaving the valve. If i follow it up along with the other line, I see that it goes into the refrigerator.
Is this easy to replace or splice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,080

Re: LG refrigerator leaks, but it's not a frozen drain hole

If you post a pic we can help you out.
Wilbits is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wilbits For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (03-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

Thank you Willbits... I would love to and should have taken a picture before putting the fridge baxk and fighting with the door for a long time.
The white line that feeds the water dispenser, has a diagonal slice about 3 or 4 inches away from the exit of the water inlet valve; the slice is located in a segment of hose that tucks inside the fridge and it hasn't come out yet-that's how close it is.
After digging, I envision that I can use a piece of poly tube to come out of the inlet valve, say 16 inches or so. There i can splice into the remaining hose using a locally-found plastic coupler. Does that sound about right?
I just checked the existing hose and it states o.d 5/16 and i.d 0.216". I hope that I can find that at home Depot. I have 3/8 vinyl here at home used for irritating orchids, but something tells me that might not work.
Do i have to use the exact same size and type of hose? Home depot will probably sell a 20ft piece, and I only need 8 or 10 inches.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 832

Your OD is 5/16, So get some 5/16 clear tubing at HD, and split it lengthwise, apply a little adhesive inside the patch, then slip it over the white bad piece about 3-4 inches to each side of the slice, and temporarily clamp them together with a few clothes pins, wait for the adhesive to setup.

Remove the clothes pins, test the "fix" for leaks. put it all back together, and be done.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #6
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

if ends of tubing use push fit connections
I recommend you replace all the tubing you can while back there

I'd use true PEX tubing because that's best you can buy

Peace
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DR P For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 12:09 PM   #7

thank you all very much. I liked the idea of using a small piece to patch and seal as suggested as de-nagorg. As I was carefully pulling the tube out of the water inlet valve, it spun and cracked completely (separated). Since I had bought 10 feet of tubing, I just replaced the whole tube, and the leaking has certainly stopped.

Lesson: Patience and not always assuming that the problem is a complex one.
Since initially I was home alone, I could not dispense water and kneel and look closely at the bottom area of the refrigerator. So, I took apart the freezer door, compartment and rear panel only to discover that I did not have the common cause of leakage - a clogged drain tube or frozen area back there. Had I waited till my wife got home, I would have saved a lot of aggravation and time in taking apart and re-assembling the freezer compartment. All along, it turned out that I had a sliced tube.
de-nagorg likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to NABRIL For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 945

It may be worth your while to investigate/diagnose why that tube split in the first place.

Pinched....frozen...defective?
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DanS26 For This Useful Post:
NABRIL (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS26 View Post
It may be worth your while to investigate/diagnose why that tube split in the first place.
Pinched....frozen...defective?
Yes Dan, that has me baffled as well. It was about 3 inches away from the water inlet valve exposed, so I dont think that it froze and cracked. It is not a movable item that could have gotten cut by a metal edge of the refrigerator. The appliance is from 2005, so perhaps the tube just met its day.
Who knows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement