KUDS02FRSS1- Cable Terminals In Control Board Keep Getting Burned - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 56

KUDS02FRSS1- Cable terminals in control board keep getting burned

Hi everyone, my dishwasher model KUDS02FRSS1 had been running great for 13 years, but in the last year or so, it started having issues with the control board. Wire terminals at P3 and P4 get melted...dishwasher stops mid-cycle, then comes back to life after 5 minutes, which must be some kind of protection.
I changed the cable terminals twice and that solved the problem the first time for about a year, but the second time for only 10 days. It is now stopping mid-cycle again...lights go out for 5 minutes, then come back on, with the "start/pause" flashing. All I have to do at this point is open the door, press the start button, and close the door. Then it keeps running until the next interruption.
Heating element measures 24 omhs, which is within specs.
Can anyone think of anything else to check? I've read somewhere it could be the motor but i am not sure if it can be tested first?
Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you group!
nelaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

Re: KUDS02FRSS1- Cable terminals in control board keep getting burned

Sorry to state an opinion based upon experience, but after 13 years, it's maybe time to say goodbye. You've made honorable attempts to save this old friend but planned obsolescent theory rules.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 05:01 PM   #3

Thank you. I hear you, but the reviews on new dishwashers are not that great.
Any brand you could recommend in 24" and Stainless Steel? I don't care for many features. I don't even use the "Heat Dry" option. I checked Kitchenaid and Bosch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
dj3

Rewards Points: 610

You're right, these days, you can't get a longer lasting appliance anymore.
Parts are expensive and break prematurely. The electronics are getting more complicated, forcing DIYers to give up and call expensive techs - it's all about the money.
When I face this fork in the road with an appliance older than 10 years, I bite the bullet and get a new one.
I run rental homes and renters deserve working appliances, not "waiting for parts" appliances. For this reason alone I avoid imported appliances.
I'd take KitchenAid (a Whirlpool product) over Bosch, Samsung or LG.
dj3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelaco View Post
Thank you. I hear you, but the reviews on new dishwashers are not that great.
Any brand you could recommend in 24" and Stainless Steel? I don't care for many features. I don't even use the "Heat Dry" option. I checked Kitchenaid and Bosch.

In 2005 I installed a Fisher&Paykel 24" stainless steel double dish drawer dishwasher Model DD603H SS.

The reason I purchased a dish drawer is that I do not have to stoop over to load or unload the top drawer. Anyone with chronic back pain would appreciate an appliance like this.

But to my surprise the dishwasher is fantastic at cleaning dishes, quiet and easy to clean and maintain. The only problem I have had since 2005 (yes 14 years) is one time my son in law overloaded the drawer so the top lid did not clamp down and the machine flooded. Had to replace the wet safety switch but was easy to do.

Last edited by DanS26; 05-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
DanS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:47 AM   #6

Thank you DJ3 and Dan S26. I'll keep those brands in mind. I had never heard of Fisher & Paykel. Good to know.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,058

The burned terminals are a good sign there is a significant overload. I know you said you measured the resistance of the heating coil, and it seemed ok. But the resistance changes between not being powered and cold vs powered and hot. So it could be defective and overload the circuit when power is applied. If you wanted to take one more shot at repairing it, I would look for possible shorts in the wiring to the heating element, and if that looks ok, then replace the heating element. It's your decision whether you want to gamble on that, though.

As to brands to replace it, I am very happy with the Bosch 800 series. My old dishwasher had a small leak which went undetected for a long time and damaged the floor underneath. One thing that sold me on Bosch is that it has a full bottom pan to catch water from leaks, and a pump to pump out the leaking water. Also a sensor to signal you that a leak has been detected. And Bosch gets good performance and reliability scores from Consumer Reports.
RAL238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #8

Thank you Ral238. This makes sense. I didn't know the heating element could do that. I went ahead and ordered a new one.
Good to know about the Bosch 800 series. I'll take a look.

I'll report back in a few days. Appreciate the help everyone.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:29 AM   #9

Well, that didn't do it. Part was only $25 so no big deal.
I've checked the connections at the control board and noticed P5 shows signs of overheating. It is the circulation pump circuit. I went ahead and ordered a new one with the option to return it. We'll see how it goes. After this I'll give up.
The Following User Says Thank You to nelaco For This Useful Post:
bob22 (05-30-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement