Kenmore Gas Oven Wont Heat. - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 460

Kenmore gas oven wont heat.

I've done a bit of troubleshooting, and am still researching. Searched on this forum, but nothing jumped out at me.

Oven wont heat. Stovetop burners work. When I set it to bake, the igniter never glows.

Checked resistance of the disconnected igniter, and it showed 333 ohms.
Checked resistance of the disconnected gas safety valve, and it showed 0 ohms.

Is that an appropriate reading for the igniter? If not, any advice as to what I should test next? Should I test for voltage where the igniter plugs in?

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Kenmore gas oven wont heat.-img_2426.jpg  
tireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 492

Re: Kenmore gas oven wont heat.

You should get 120 volts at the igniter when calling for the oven to fire up. Sorry canít give you the value of the igniter. But I would only check it with voltage
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Try repairclinic.com. Put in your model number and watch the videos there. They usually will guide you on how to diagnose. If not, try grayfurnaceman.com.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
Try repairclinic.com. Put in your model number and watch the videos there. They usually will guide you on how to diagnose.

Does it light and burn a very low flame taking forever to heat? If so remove the fire tube and clean the gas orifice. Probably about a #60 drill size. Also I'll second RepairClinic, I've used them often.

There is no such thing as free shipping either~Wooleybooger
wooleybooger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireshark View Post

I've done a bit of troubleshooting, and am still researching. Searched on this forum, but nothing jumped out at me.

Oven wont heat. Stovetop burners work. When I set it to bake, the igniter never glows.

Checked resistance of the disconnected igniter, and it showed 333 ohms.
Checked resistance of the disconnected gas safety valve, and it showed 0 ohms.

Is that an appropriate reading for the igniter? If not, any advice as to what I should test next? Should I test for voltage where the igniter plugs in?

Thanks for any help!
Not an expert, but I would suggest testing the igniter for continuity to make sure it is not cracked or broken. If you do not have continuity, you need a new igniter.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
Not an expert, but I would suggest testing the igniter for continuity to make sure it is not cracked or broken. If you do not have continuity, you need a new igniter.

Like I said, I checked the resistance and got 333 ohms. Isn't that a continuity check?
Old 03-15-2019, 12:44 PM   #7

Didnít have much time for a detailed reply earlier. The way to check an igniter is measure for 120 volts at igniter . If you donít have voltage there when calling for it then you have either a limit, thermostat or selector switch issue. If you get 120 volts and igniter doesnít glow you have a bad igniter. If it glows but gas doesnít open then You have to measure amps. Most igniters need to be pulling about 2.7 amps or higher to open gas valve. If it pulls less amps then that even though the igniter glows itís bad. The problem with using the resistance method is you have to have a value to check it against. Itís easier to check it like above. Be careful as you will have to do test with live electric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tireshark likes this.

Last edited by BayouRunner; 03-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Like I said, I checked the resistance and got 333 ohms. Isn't that a continuity check?
Again, not an expert. Continuity checks to see if the element is broken or not broken. If there is no break, the Continuity tester will beep.

I would expect that, of there is a break, you would get a resistance measurement of infinity, but I am not sure.

tireshark likes this.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
You had your meter on Ohms and it read 333? To check continuity set it on it's highest Ohms setting, hold the probes together, it should read 0 or very close to that. Next place the probes on the two wires to the igniter, one on each wire, you'll probably have to remove the igniter to do this. With the probes on each wire and the meter set to highest Ohms setting the meter should read 0 or very close indicating there is no open circuit. Any reading not 0 or very close to 0 indicates and open circuit and a failed igniter, it will need replacing.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
Didnít have much time for a detailed reply earlier. The way to check an igniter is measure for 120 volts at igniter . If you donít have voltage there when calling for it then you have either a limit, thermostat or selector switch issue. If you get 120 volts and igniter doesnít glow you have a bad igniter.

Thanks. I measured voltage at the junction where the igniter plugs in, and I got 120 volts with the oven OFF, not set to bake. If that is the correct reading with the oven off, then sounds like it's the igniter.

This is where I tested it. I had one probe in the bottom terminal, and the other probe touching the bottom of the stove.
Attached Thumbnails
Kenmore gas oven wont heat.-23.png  
Old 03-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #11

No that’s incorrect. You have to measure for 120 volts at the two igniter leads. There is no power that runs through ground so you can’t test it that way. A ground is for safety purposes only, not a way to check a service issue. I can’t tell by picture how wires are run, it has to be at the wires just before it goes into igniter. If you measure anywhere else your not going to get the answer you are looking for. I can’t tell what your measuring from the side as it’s blurry as well. I’m concerned for your safety, if you don’t understand get someone that does.
tireshark likes this.

Last edited by BayouRunner; 03-15-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
No that’s incorrect. You have to measure for 120 volts at the two igniter leads.

Thanks for your input Bayou.

This is a diagram of how it is wired. I had disconnected the plug, and had one probe in 2, and the other on the stove. That was reading 120vAC.

Not sure how to test voltage on igniter terminals, if it is plugged in, as the wires at the igniter are hard wired into it. Can you test voltage by probing the part that glows with a multimeter, or something?
Attached Thumbnails
Kenmore gas oven wont heat.-harness.png  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooleybooger View Post
You had your meter on Ohms and it read 333? To check continuity set it on it's highest Ohms setting, hold the probes together, it should read 0 or very close to that.
The multimeter reads 333, on both the continuity setting, and the 2k ohm setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Kenmore gas oven wont heat.-img_2446.jpg  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #14

Quote:
The multimeter reads 333, on both the continuity setting, and the 2k ohm setting.
Sounds like you need a new igniter. It's easy and not tremendously expensive.
tireshark likes this.

Old 03-15-2019, 07:53 PM   #15

Unplug the lead that goes from the safety valve to the igniter or you can just slide it up enough so that you can contact it with your meter. Measure from #2 to the safety valve (at the lead you took off. If that measures 120 volts with oven on you have a bad igniter. If not we will go from there. You are going to have to measure with the plug, plugged in. (Insert your lead in plug)There are other ways Iím just trying to keep it simple. Careful it will shock your not diligent. This whole test should take just a few seconds
tireshark likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement