Home Security Systems - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Home security systems

The renovation of my home is now complete and we are now looking to install a home security system. I am thinking of something which won't require much maintenance, and one that is not so complicated so that I would be able to repair it myself. I went through few review sites like
http://www.home-security-systems-rev...enreviews.com/
www.besthomesecuritycompanys.com/
www.goodalarmbadalarm.com/
The reviews have got me confused, can any of you suggest a good alarm company for me?
Shell99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 01:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 109

I been researching alarms for a few weeks now and everything I read claims Front Point is the best. It will cost you roughly $300 up front, a 36 month contract and $40-$50 a month. I been hesitating to pull the trigger.
Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 01:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

The best system is a pair of guy's work boots on the front porch that are somewhat muddy, a dog dish, a bone and a sign that states that home security is a Smith & Wesson Shotgun.

Also having a dog inside that knows when to bark when someone they do not know comes up to the house.

Security systems are only as good as the person responding to them, to catch someone in the process. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Hick (04-04-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2015, 01:45 AM   #4

Agree but a system could be a deterrent and offer peace of mind to the homeowner. I'm a gun guy so I don't care for it but I'm looking into it to give my wife peace of mind that we have an alarm that will warn us if a door or window opens sound an alarm and call the cops. Most common thieves and trouble looking kids will jet the hard core thieves can care less. Alarm, dog, etc..... Your gun won't do any good if your not home when they break in.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 750

Very low maintenance. Just feed em, water em, toys, walks, training. Best security system money can buy, its like having your own personal cop sleeping on your floor 24/7 ready to respond to any & all threats with deadly force(if so commanded)
Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (04-04-2015)
Old 04-04-2015, 02:59 AM   #6

Your take on low maintenance and mine are much different. I agree it is a great deterrent for thieves but there is nothing low maintenance about a dog. They need to eat, pee, poop, get walked, go to the vet, they get ill, they shed, the damage furniture and homes, they suck value from your home when you try to sell them. A bunch of other negatives I could add. But hey they are good companions for the lonely and scare away thieves. A good friend had a Shepard for a long time, claimed it was the best dog ever and obeyed all commands and was loyal, etc..... The sucker bit me and somehow it was my fault because the dog could sense that I was afraid of it. Then 2 years later when it bit his 3 year old daughter in the face and latched on he had to beat it off and put it to sleep. She got many stitches and is scarred to this day 18 years later. I have 2 baby girls and a guard dog is not a risk I'm willing to take.

Last edited by Olcrazy1; 04-04-2015 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

When our Golden & Lab/Husky are out back. Especially at night, there has been instances that some one has come walking down the alley behind our house, which causes the dogs to take off running & barking at the fence.

I sit there and laugh, because the person will either pick up their pace, or take off running down the alley, thinking the dogs are going to come after them.

I have had grade school kids walking in front of the house, and when the dogs notice them and start barking, the kids tend to think twice of going to investigate, or pick up their pace to get past the house.

I have even been asked if our Golden is dangerous. I just tell them that they can risk trying to pet her and find out if she is friendly or dangerous.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 582

we use ADT wireless....its great... never had any problems with system in 5 yrs now ..no false alarms...

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 04-04-2015 at 08:13 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell99 View Post
The renovation of my home is now complete and we are now looking to install a home security system. I am thinking of something which won't require much maintenance, and one that is not so complicated so that I would be able to repair it myself. I went through few review sites like
www.home-security-systems-review.toptenreviews.com/
www.besthomesecuritycompanys.com/
www.goodalarmbadalarm.com/
The reviews have got me confused, can any of you suggest a good alarm company for me?
If you wish to do your own repair/maintenance/upgrading then it is best you do not go through an alarm company. These alarms come with what's called an "installer code" which the alarms companies in general will not give to you.. and you're pretty much dead in the water with any kind of repair or upgrade without it. In other words they pretty much FORCE you into paying for their servicing.

Your best bet is to purchase/install your own alarm and either self monitor, or try and find an alarm company that will monitor a self installed system. There are some out there that will.
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Sanders For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-04-2015)
Old 04-05-2015, 01:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 580

I pay 350/year for monitoring service. That includes the House, Garage/shop and even the shed. Dont need it when I'm at home, but sure like having it when I'm not! Cost me 700 for installation. Had to replace 2 door sensors (magnets) in 10 years.
78Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
home alarm , security system reviews , security systems