High-efficiency, Smart, Washing Machine Discussion - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree24Likes

Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,185

High-efficiency, smart, washing machine discussion

We just got our first "smart" washer a month or so ago and we're very disappointed. I'd like to hear about others and their experience and which washers don't have these issues since we need one soon for another home.

We bought this LG washer: https://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WT7...op-load-washer

Our old washer was a regular agitator washer. It was simple, took about 45 minutes to do a load and gave us all the control we needed.

The new washer takes about 90 minutes to over 3 hours, effectively, to do a load and requires near constant oversight to do its job.

It's so "smart" that it decides the size of the load and how much water to use. It never puts enough water to fully submerge the load. You can set a mode to use additional water and that's still not enough so you have to come set it again after it starts washing to add even more water but, eventually and long before the tub is reasonably full, it refuses to let you add more water. I figured out a work around for the wash cycle to actually start the load, then 15 minutes in I turn the washer off and then restart it. Now it's got 4 inches of water weight in it and when it senses how much water it thinks it's got 50 pounds of clothes so it gives half a tub full of water...

Problem is, you have to catch it again at the start of the rinse cycle to get the clothes rinsed or, if you miss it, run a cycle again without soap just to rinse... and stand over it to make sure you get enough water.

Another issue is that it has no agitator. That was one of the big drivers for us in choosing this washer, thinking the "smarts" would give good motion and we'd get clean clothes and much greater capacity. Problem is, without the agitator, you don't get good water movement. Oh, it has some very awesome displays of fluid dynamics with water actually pinned to the side of the tub while the bottom center is dry as it rotates fast with a load of water... But what you need to clean clothes is movement of water over the clothes. Most of the motion in this washer the water, tub, and clothes all move together so there's no relative difference of motion between them. When they're all moving exactly together it may as well not be moving at all; it could as well be sitting still soaking.

Oh, and it doesn't have all the features it claims. You have to buy those separately, after the fact, and not with cash. Many of the modes and features are only available if you install the LG app which actually requires access to your phone, your microphone, your pictures, your location, etc... I'm not selling my soul to get a spin-only cycle.

So, anyone want to jump in on the smart-washer gripe session or at least share their experience with modern, smart, top-loading washers (we don't have the extra depth for a front loader) that don't have these issues?
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #2
Collector of tools

Rewards Points: 124

Re: High-efficiency, smart, washing machine discussion

LOL. I'm 52 years old. Over the last 25 years I've owned 5 homes and rented 2 others. One Maytag washer served the first 23 years and moved in and out of 6 homes with us. That machine might have needed a service call once - but I'm not sure. We sold it with the last house where it still serves happily. I suspect it will last about forever.

Our current house has a new washer and dryer. Not sure how "smart" they are but they do all sorts of neat and useless tricks. No problems with them yet but the sales guy at the appliance store confirmed that these are now basically disposable. It'll likely be cheaper to replace it when the electronics act up then it will be to fix it.

Good luck
dalepres likes this.
schreibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,185

Yeah, this washer replaced one that was 16 years old - young for a washer as the one before that lasted over 20 years. The problem is that the cheaper ones are still computer controlled. No more mechanical timer mechanisms that last forever - even if they made a mechanical one it would be made out of pot metal or plastic... like my 2010 Silverado with so much cracked plastic on the dash that the rattles will drive me nuts.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,266

I bought this house about 3 1/2 years ago and it came with a HE washer and matching dryer. The next time I change the settings on either one will be the first time - they're still set the way the previous owner did her last load of laundry in the house.
dalepres and schreibdave like this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalepres View Post

It's so "smart" that it decides the size of the load and how much water to use. It never puts enough water to fully submerge the load.

Oh, and it doesn't have all the features it claims. You have to buy those separately, after the fact, and not with cash. Many of the modes and features are only available if you install the LG app which actually requires access to your phone, your microphone, your pictures, your location, etc... I'm not selling my soul to get a spin-only cycle.

Have you ever actually left the washer to do its thing, with the "limited" water it uses? Let it wash and then look at the clothes? Some devices have various stages, and you may have to wait for additional water or aggregation. I've seen people stop things like this at the very beginning, when they don't believe it'll work, and have never actually let it do its thing, causing it to never actually work. If you're still unsatisfied, have you called LG to ask about it? I'm curious what they say.

As for the app part, on newer versions of Android give you the option to deny those privileges to the app. It's denied by default and it must ask for your permission. It's also changeable after the fact. I can't say much about iOS stuff, and other options. I don't use any products that use anything else, haven't for a fairly long time.

Cheers!
dalepres likes this.
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to supers05 For This Useful Post:
dalepres (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 917

Can't speak for your LG but I have a Maytag Bravos washer. This was inherited from the previous home owner. It also has the minimal agitator.
I have been using it for over a year now and it seems to be getting clothes clean. From what I have read about these machines, the low water level is by design and the manufacturers assert that the cloths do not need to be submerged to get clean. One thing these machines do is pump and spray the soapy water on the cloths while they are being agitated. The minimal agitator does move the cloths around enough (barely).

For me, top loaders should be banned. This is a concept from the 1950's! The only reason they exist is that people are resistant to change and want something that looks like what their parents had. Front loaders are the way to go. They get clothes clean by dropping them into the soapy water. Front loaders have been around for decades and are proven technology.

I only wish these things could be made more durable. My LG front loader had the main board go bad. Easy to fix but cost $300 for the part. Had to replace the main bearing and water pump on the Maytag this year. The bearing replacement was challenging to say the least.
dalepres likes this.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,546

I've got LG HE front loaders that use minimal water and they work awesome despite not "fully submerging" the clothes at any point.

The only thing I don't like about my washer is the thing shakes the heck out of the house during the spin cycles. I end up picking one for every load; A) think there's another big earthquake OR B) spend a bit more on nat gas to dry the load longer. (I usually go with B though no one else in the house does.)
dalepres likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
I've got LG HE front loaders that use minimal water and they work awesome despite not "fully submerging" the clothes at any point.

The only thing I don't like about my washer is the thing shakes the heck out of the house during the spin cycles. I end up picking one for every load; A) think there's another big earthquake OR B) spend a bit more on nat gas to dry the load longer. (I usually go with B though no one else in the house does.)
Try adjusting the feet so that it cannot rock. They are sensitive to that.

Cheers!
dalepres likes this.
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by supers05 View Post
Try adjusting the feet so that it cannot rock. They are sensitive to that.

Cheers!
We've adjusted them a number of times. I think it's just because the house is made to shake (for the quakes) We're going to move the washer into the garage as soon as we have time between other projects (hopefully this summer.)
dalepres and supers05 like this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,595

We got a smart whirlpool last summer...large tub, no agitator, holds about
50 percent more clothes than our old agitator. It gets the clothes very clean.

Truthfully, I didn’t think it would get the clothes as clean because of the
missing agitator, but it does! We use the normal wash cycle.

We’re happy with this machine.
dalepres likes this.
Two Knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystriss View Post
We've adjusted them a number of times. I think it's just because the house is made to shake (for the quakes) We're going to move the washer into the garage as soon as we have time between other projects (hopefully this summer.)
That is the only drawback to front loaders. They vibrate up and down instead of side to side so they have to be placed on a rock solid floor. If not you will need to do some creative bracing or vibration damping.
dalepres likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
That is the only drawback to front loaders. They vibrate up and down instead of side to side so they have to be placed on a rock solid floor. If not you will need to do some creative bracing or vibration damping.
Yeah we're going to be putting it on an over built deck on the cement slab in the garage so it'll stay put - and my husband got "decoupler" what's it's that go under the feet as well. It would have gone into the garage last weekend (or at least the plumbing, nat. gas, and vent would have been installed,) but I changed my mind on where I want them put heh
dalepres likes this.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #13

Ok, 2 drawbacks. Most people will want to put a front loader on a platform or pedestal. Bending over to pull stuff out is not so good for your back. I had mine on a 12" "overbuilt" platform. Didn't use decouplers.
dalepres likes this.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiraldude View Post
Ok, 2 drawbacks. Most people will want to put a front loader on a platform or pedestal. Bending over to pull stuff out is not so good for your back. I had mine on a 12" "overbuilt" platform. Didn't use decouplers.
Having them on pedestals is way better than not IMO. The pedestals they came with didn't put the washer/dryer up high enough for me (I'm pretty tall.) We're going to have them up another 6" in the garage so I [hopefully] won't have to bend over to pull clothes out anymore.
dalepres likes this.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,396

I had a Kenmore HE front load washer for a few years. Hated it because the clothes never got really clean and didn't smell fresh after washing. It used very little water though, but what's the point of water savings if the clothes weren't clean after washing? They even need "washing machine cleaner" cause the front loaders have a tendency to get stinky after awhile. No thanks.

Got rid of it and got a SpeedQueen top load model. Clothes are now clean and smell good too, plus it has a 7 year warranty.
dalepres likes this.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 03-14-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement