Help! Refrigerator Problem - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By grizzzle

Old 04-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Help! Refrigerator problem

I have a kitchen aid superba( side by side.) The fridge is not cooling. The coils had some frost on them, I defrosted whole unit, checked circulation fan, and it works. There was is a vent by the meat drawer that was frozen shut. I chipped off frost and it is free of ice now. I keep finding this vent closing after I force it open. (See picture.) I have a feeling that this box connected to the thermostat is the problem. I'm not sure if this box opens and closes the vent but that is what I suspect. I will get a voltage meter tomorrow and see if it is working. I'm looking for any other helpful tips or suggestions for this problem.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
grizzzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,776

Re: Help! Refrigerator problem

I had the same issue. Mine got frosted shut and I chipped it away. I unplugged the unit and let is "reset" itself and it resolved itself.

Sounds like yours might be on the fritz or under the impression that is open when it should be closed.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I had the same issue. Mine got frosted shut and I chipped it away. I unplugged the unit and let is "reset" itself and it resolved itself.

Sounds like yours might be on the fritz or under the impression that is open when it should be closed.
Are you suggesting that the door is opened when it should be closed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,776

Mine was frozen "closed", but when I freed it, it closed itself. I unplugged the unit and turned it back on and it reset it position to allow for cold air to transfer over and cool the fridge.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

Current situation. I think I have a defrost problem. Not sure if it's my thermostat or the heat wrap thing. I have continuity thru the heat wrap thing, and I'm getting a very low voltage reading for the power going to the heat wrap thing, but not sure if that's bc the thermostat is sending power while I'm checking. HELP!

Old 05-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 534

If that's what your coil looked like as soon as you took the cover off you don't have a defrost problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BayouRunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouRunner View Post
If that's what your coil looked like as soon as you took the cover off you don't have a defrost problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cover has been off for about a week. It builds up defrost and then it comes back. The problem is the fridge isn't staying cool

Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #8

No worries I figured it out .

Thanks to this video I stumbled across. My fridge froze up most likely bc of over stuffing it. All I needed to do was manually defrost it by pulling the plug out over night and rearranging my food items. However..... because I try and figure things out and n my own......
I discovered that this small vent box in my fridge (known as an air diffuser) was shut. So I stuck a knife in the vent and pryed it open.(big mistake). We'll the fridge defrosted when I unplugged the fridge. It seemed as if all was well. But I noticed it was not 33 like I had set it. I knew something was wrong. I looked back at the vent and it was closed again......
This time not frozen, just closed. I defrosted it again and got the same result, a semi cool fridge.
After a week of testing every thing I possibly could with a multimeter. I came up with nothing and had concluded that I need a new vent box thingy (air diffuser). I stumbled across this video...
And this was the solution to my problem!
I took apart the air diffuser, bc what did I have to loose? Anything to fend off the appliance repair man. And to my amazement, the vent piece that gets pushed by the motor was broken! 98% sure it's bc I stuck a flipping knife in it. So I jb welded it, and now it works great! The internet and YouTube and forums like this , you can do anything! A little half hint from bayou runner about my coils looking like it doesn't have a defrost problem, got me off looking into the defrost system and back to my original concern with that damn little vent box thingy! Thanks!

dd57chevy likes this.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:25 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 50

Glad to hear that you managed to find a solution to the issue that you have there. I personally would have brought the compressor unit in to check or at least got some voltage reading on it or something. More importantly, you can safely tuck away your money now that you don't have to call a freakishly expensive repair man to come and get everything fixed up anymore! Good job!
MarkSindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement