Grease In Oven Vent - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffnc
  • 1 Post By fireguy

Old 12-02-2019, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6,066

Grease in oven vent

I've got a standard gas stove with a standard externally ducted vent hood with removable metal filters. I do a fair amount of cooking, no more than average, maybe even less. What's happening is yellow grease seems to be accumulating in the fan or ductwork and dripping back down through the filter an onto my range. It's pretty gross. Obviously I've cleaned the filters so I know that's not the problem. I can only imagine what's involved if I start getting up into the fan and ductwork. But it seems that surely others have had this same problem.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,008

Re: Grease in oven vent

It sounds like the ducts are cold enough to cause the exhaust air to condense leaving that icky mess.

One, you will need to clean the ducts as the condensate is most likely worse than what you are seeing.

Next you will need to find a way to insulate the ducts.

Are current ducts metal or flex, should not be flex.
What size are current ducts?

Not a pro on this so hang on for the better replies.

Bud
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 11:25 AM   #3

I don't think it would need insulation, as this is a first floor kitchen with a heated second floor above. The vent goes up into the ceiling, does a 90 turn in the space between ceiling and floor above, and exits the side. Anyway, grease/oil doesn't "condense" like water does based on temperature does it? I would think the particles simply "land".

I suppose I have to take out the entire fan unit to see up there. Not even sure if that is possible without taking the whole unit out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #4

You are probably correct that the oil doesn't evaporate and condense but the water does and I think it is transporting the oil.

In any case the oil/grease is being deposited and I still suspect temperature is contributing to the problem.

2 possibilities.
1. no one was looking when that duct was installed and perhaps the insulation was not fitted as it should have been.
2. the rim joist ares is often a victim of unwanted gaps. 8' sheathing (4+4) depending upon how the installed it can leave a seam in that area and allow a lot of cold air.

Is the damper on the outside hood closing properly and do you feel any draft when not in use? If warm air is leaking out that could be accumulating some condensation (just guessing).

Bud
Old 12-02-2019, 05:27 PM   #5

The vent opens and closes with the fan. The duct is covered in a little bulkhead in the cabinet over the stove, but that isn't the area that would need to be insulated. I'm guessing the duct is 6". There is no way to insulate the duct, if indeed that is the problem, without taking the cabinets out and cutting into the ceiling, or cutting into the floor upstairs, which isn't going to happen.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #6

One last try or I will have to say I have exhausted all my ideas, sorry.
If it is 6" (never tried this) might it be possible to insert a 4"or 5" liner?

If you cannot resolve the accumulating grease you may be stuck with frequent cleanings.

Best
Bud

One extra question, does the dripping happen during warm weather? If it does then condensation is not involved. Then perhaps a better filter at the input with frequent changes?

Last edited by Bud9051; 12-02-2019 at 06:33 PM.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Yeah, I think if anything it happens more in summer than in winter.

I'll look into a different kind of filter, but I'm not seeing any on first look.
Bud9051 likes this.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-02-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 122

It could be a substandard filter or a fan that doesn’t move enough air. Clean it because that crap is combustible. Then go out to eat greasy food.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM   #9

Well, I'm not even sure "grease" is the right word. I use olive oil to cook a lot, and a little butter. Yes, also the occasional burger.
Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
One last try or I will have to say I have exhausted all my ideas
I see what you did there.
huesmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:23 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 952

Get a dryer brush, wrap a rag soaked in a degreaser around the brush. Run the brush up and down until the grease is to whatever amount of grease you are happy with. As this is a residential unit, you cannot use a pressure washer to clean the duct. The duct work is not water proof, the water will just run out of the duct, and leak. The filters are usually a mesh, with lots of space around the metal. Run hot water over the filter, in the sink. Probably will not make much difference. You might try a rag around the filter, but that probably will not make much difference. In 40 years of cleaning commercial kitchen hoods, I have only been asked by one person if I could clean their residential hood and duct. The duct was vertical, so I grabbed a dish towel, soaked it with degreaser and wiped what I could. 15 minutes and 15 bucks I was out of there.
Bud9051 likes this.
fireguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #12

I'm not really following. The filter itself is not really dirty. I've cleaned it, and it only contains drips in it coming from above. What you're not mentioning is how to get the fan unit out of there to get to the duct. I'm not sure it's even possible. The entire unit can be removed of course, but there's no way I'm doing that every time I need to clean it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement