GE Gas Dryer Drier Heats On Low Setting Only - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jmon
  • 1 Post By measure2cut3

Old 08-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 68

GE gas dryer drier heats on low setting only

Hello, Wife not happy! Need emergency help troubleshooting our GE stackable (panel on front) gas drier. Mdl # DSXH43GA6. Worked fine until recently, stopped blowing hot from either the high or medium setting, while the low is still creating heat, but obviously takes considerably longer to dry heavier items. No smells, leaks, etc, however I notice a consistent, cycling low volume sound I'll try to describe coming from the top under the lid on the left front side (to the left of the temp control knob). It sounds as if an igniter is trying to light or perhaps like a lightweight metal being shaken in a can, or a bearing noise that lasts for 30 secs then a distinct "click" and it stops, then starts up after about a minute. This repeats constantly t/o the drying cycle.
If you've run across the type of drying failure that might mimic such symptoms, I'd be forever grateful for your sagacity, suggestions, or good jokes. All would be a step up from here.
measure2cut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,098

Re: GE gas dryer drier heats on low setting only

Go to repairclinic.com and type in your exact model number. They have excellent how to and testing videos. Just a suggestion.

MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 68

Thanks for the lead, jmon. I came across one very similar video by Sears, which helped eliminate some possibilities due to the fact that the igniter (viewed glowing from above, prior to dissasembling the unit), was lighting up, then would cycle off about 30secs later. Narrowing it down to the Gas Valve Coils.

I sourced a couple of GVCs off Ebay using a crossover part # for a different unit, and saving about $75 bucks on the deal.
Will post back once I've installed the two coils, due to arrive on Friday. Gotta love the internet!
jmon likes this.
measure2cut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,792

Unless the gas valve is 2-stage (unlikely in a dryer), it's not the culprit.

The valve probably runs at full pressure and cycles to the maintain the desired temp in the drier.
I am not in the business of any trade or topic I give advise on. I have previous diy experience plus good knowledge of theory. Attempt repairs at your own risk. Never jump out safeties - especially pressure switches - on a furnace for testing with fuel supply on; use a meter. Do not troubleshoot with live line voltage present unless there's no alternative.
user_12345a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement