Garbage Disposal: Something Is Underneath The Impeller Plate - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffmattero76
  • 1 Post By spaceboy909

Old 08-28-2019, 04:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 32

Garbage disposal: Something is underneath the impeller plate

I have a Badger 5-84. One day something metal starting bouncing around loudly. I did a cursory fishing around and realized it must be small as I couldn't find it.

Finally, it jammed the impeller plate and the unit would just hum, so I stopped using it and put off dealing with it.

Now I'm getting around to it, and even bought some special tools for it to turn it from the top and bottom, plus a flex magnet and long handled bent nose pliers.

All of that and I still couldn't find it, and I read that the impellers are supposed to be loose and move around so I knew it wasn't that after thinking it was at first.

So, as a last resort, I have pulled the unit out, but at first glance it doesn't seem to be serviceable. Can this actually be taken apart by the end user to remove something underneath the impeller plate?

And is it even possible to get something lodged under there that can then be actually bouncing around like that? I've looked at diagrams that show the impeller shaft and it doesn't look like anything in there would break off, I mean, it seems like a simple standard setup for a rotating device. Can parts of it break off and cause this?

This is a rental apartment, and actually the disposal is probably less than 2 years old. I would like to take care of this myself if it doesn't cost much. What should I do here? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by spaceboy909; 08-28-2019 at 04:52 AM. Reason: clarity
spaceboy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 06:01 AM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,338

Re: Garbage disposal: Something is underneath the impeller plate

You may as well plan on replacing the unit, as your landlord will charge you for it anyway. Since it is a rental, maintenance work is the responsibility of the landlord and should not be taken on by the tenant. Generally garbage disposals are not serviceable as a DIY project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

Have you tried using the z shaped Allen wrench to turn the impeller? Now that you have the GD out, turn it upside down, and use that wrench to turn the impeller. Perhaps put a short length of pipe over the wrench to give you more leverage. If you get it to turn, the object will likely fall out.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
ZTMAN likes this.
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
Have you tried using the z shaped Allen wrench to turn the impeller? Now that you have the GD out, turn it upside down, and use that wrench to turn the impeller. Perhaps put a short length of pipe over the wrench to give you more leverage. If you get it to turn, the object will likely fall out.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
I already had the impeller turning with the tool that I bought. I bought the wrench for the bottom side and this other type for the top side. Whatever is in there seems to be beneath the impeller plate. I have fished around a lot from the top and can't find anything.

Since I posted, I have watched several disassembly videos. As it turns out, they are pretty easy to take apart, so whatever it is, I should be able to pull it out.

The worst part will be dealing with the gunk and stench. When I had the discharge tube unhooked earlier, it smelled like a morgue in there. Absolutely horrendous. Because the unit hadn't been running, there was leftover waste that had rotted in there. The pipes are coated with black paste that smells like death. lol

But.....it'll be over soon, and I have lots of kitchen cleaner spray to mask it. I'll post back what the results are.
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceboy909 For This Useful Post:
bob22 (08-29-2019)
Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Ok..... I got it fixed. The culprit was not underneath the impellar plate or assembly, which, as I went through this and thought it through, seemed to be impossible since all that is down there is the motor and shaft.

I watched a handful of videos on how to break these things down. I only found one that shows a total breakdown. Kind of strange when there are a zillion people out there who love breaking down every type of machine and gadget even if just for fun, or to prove that "impossible repairs" are actually possible.
-----------------

So, I pulled the disposal, and first I turned it upside down and gave it a shake. Nothing came out.

Next, I unscrewed the 4 screws holding the top casing on, and used a large flathead to pry up the top casing in the slots at the junction point. I cleaned out enough of the gunk above and under the impeller plate to know the item was not in that area.

Then I picked up the top casing where the serrated area, or teeth, are built into, and looked around that part. It was hard to see at first, but then I spotted.....a penny....glued to the side wall in the serrated area, and the penny was the same rusty color as the gunk still stuck in there.

After pulling that out, and putting the disposal back in, it is running fine again.

Here are the videos I watched. The first one shows a technician doing a full breakdown on a brand new unit, which is very nice. I don't know the brand, but it should be helpful overall.

jeffmattero76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
badger , garbage disposal , impeller plate