F11 Error (drain) In Miele Dishwasher; Clean With Citric Acid? - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mx13

Old 04-21-2019, 02:16 PM  

Rewards Points: 46

F11 error (drain) in Miele dishwasher; clean with citric acid?

We have a Miele dishwasher that is about 10 years old. Recently it has started throwing an F11 (drain) error intermittently. It's only happening maybe 10% of the runs. I've pulled out all the filters and the non-return valve and cleaned everything I can get at that way. I didn't find a lot of glop to explain the problem. I pulled off the downstream end of the drain hose and it looks pretty clean.

Before digging in to get at the other end of the drain hose, I'm thinking of running a cycle with a couple of tablespoons of citric acid instead of the usual high-pH "detergent." Anyone think that will actually help?

I know metals generally don't "like" acids, but this is only something to do once in a blue moon. I see plenty of people suggesting vinegar (which is a slightly weaker acid than citric acid) and rare mentions of citric acid for cleaning dishwashers, so I'm assuming it will be OK? The manual doesn't say anything about this.

We live in Seattle so water is pretty soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 05:27 PM  

Rewards Points: 1,850

Re: F11 error (drain) in Miele dishwasher; clean with citric acid?

i agree with you on removing the drain hose and ensuring it is cleaned out.

Running plain vinegar through a cycle once in awhile to keep it clean from sediment buildup is all that is needed.

In regards to the non-return valve; When you had that off, did you check and see if the impeller was free and not jammed? Move it by hand, make sure there is no broken glass or junk in there and it moves freely.

At over 10 years old, maybe drain pump is going bad. Idk.

Hope you get it figured out soon mx13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2019, 07:09 PM  

Rewards Points: 46

I poked around a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find any loose material by the impeller or anywhere else. So, yes, aging of the drain pump is one explanation that I'm afraid of.

I just ran the citrate wash. We'll see if we get any more error codes...
jmon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2019, 07:54 PM  

Rewards Points: 598

I have one of those. And no interest in calling an authorized dealer to fix it when it goes bad. What's the vinegar douche, just pour a bottle in the bottom and rinse?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:41 AM  

Rewards Points: 1,274

fill a glass with vinegar and put it in the middle of the dishwasher upright and run a cycle, vinegar will slowly mix with water
Sponsored Links
Advertisement