Dead Wet/dry Vacume - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2017, 07:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 408

Dead wet/dry vacume

Have a wet/dry vac that I use in the garage. It was making a grinding/screeching noise occasionally, and always as motor was slowing down after the on/off swithc was turned off. Time to take it apart and perhaps put a little lubrication on the armature bearings I thought. Well, I did that, cleaned up the housing, put it all back together, plugged it in, flipped the on switch. Nothing happened, no hum, just a slight pop somewhere in the unit. It appears that I did something wrong when reassembling the unit, and the motor was seized, would not hand spin, so something may have burned out when I turned it on. Took it apart again, checked the switch with a meter, it works fine. Pretty simple inside, no thermo controls, just the two wires going to switch, and then two wires going from the switch to the brushes, and a ground wire, and all seemed fine. Put it all back together again, ensuring the motor spun freely, plugged it in, flipped the switch....nothing. No sound, no hum, nothing at all. Since I have a brand new one my daughter gave to me, I threw the old one in the garbage. But, it bugs me to throw something out when I can easily fix it. Anyone have any ideas, anything else I can test, or should I just leave it in the trash, and start using my new one. Thanks.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 994

Re: Dead wet/dry vacume

If you want to tinker with it, check to see if one of the brushes came disconnected, internally.

Sometimes when they are wore down they will flip over, and the motor stops.

Your grinding sound might not have been bearing related, might have been brushes about gone.

Also a grind might be the bushing / bearing wore enough to let the armature drag on the coils when spinning down after shutoff.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

The brushes were not worn down, but I did not check the connection. The armature actually seemed snug, and spin freely, before I put it all back together the second time. Anything I could have burned off, when I plugged the thing in the first time with a bound motor? I definitely bound up the motor when I put it back together the first time. Thanks for your reply.

Last edited by polarzak; 04-17-2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: I cannot spell this eary in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 7,770

Once the windings get super hot, it will usually fail the motor.

Watch some of this guys stuff and you can see them melt down before you very eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/videos
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

Thanks. Probably did get the windings hot, but it was only for a split second before I turned the switch off. Can't see it would be time enough for them to get that hot, and damage them, but as they say "they don't make 'em like they used to". If I feel like tinkering again this evening, I will pull the motor out of the garbage, and have another look, maybe do some continuity tests. If all else fails, back in the garbage, but hey, at least I now have a wash bucket on wheels. Thanks all.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 994

Me, I would have put it in a recycle bin.

I have a barrel just for copper to go to the recycler.

Copper now pays a premium price.

The last time I took a barrel in I got a nice $150.00, not bad for something that everybody trashes.

Of course you have to do a bit of work stripping and cleaning the stuff, but still a good payday.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks, de-nagorg but it would take me a long, long time to collect enough copper to make it worthwhile. Anyway, I took another look, fiddled with it, explored, and finally broke it beyond repair, and threw it all out. Thanks everyone for your help but there is no use flogging a dead horse. "He's dead, Jim". (Thank you Bones from Trek)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement