Another Dryer Venting Question - Appliances - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Appliances

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Another dryer venting question

Hi Folks.
New to the forum, so bear with me.
Client of mine is moving a washer/dryer into an unfinished area of his basement, not far from the furnace.
Venting is proving to be an issue. There is nowhere to go.
(Example, he has a 3 inch vent from a bathroom that he wanted to tie into, but I told him no way.)
He has a new furnace and water heater that no longer exhaust through the flue. They are high efficiency units that now exhaust out the side of the house via white PVC pipe. The old 4 inch flue is closed off.
I think you know where I'm going with this one: can I use the old flue as a dryer exhaust? It's a single story house, so the run would not exceed 25 feet.
Thanks in advance.
Buzzman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,690

Re: Another dryer venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
can I use the old flue as a dryer exhaust? It's a single story house, so the run would not exceed 25 feet.
Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum buzzman.

I wouldn't recommend it. Your local fire code may not allow that for obvious reason, fire hazard. The vent will eventually get filled with lint and you have gravity working against your dryer. If you look in your owners manual, you will see the manufactures requirements for venting the dryer.

Is their a way to go directly out the basement wall? The shortest possible run is the best solution.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 982

I'd ask him to check the dryer owner's manual. It should indicate a maximum vent run although it may not comment on a largely vertical run (maybe a call to their customer service). I'm only guessing here and somebody might show up here with a reason why it is a bad idea. He could also punch a hole in the wall if you let him. I once owned an older house with older single pane windows and removed one pane, cut a piece of plywood and ran the vent through it.

Edit: I just saw the post from 'Jmon' and he raises a good point about the fire code. With a vertical run, the air will loose velocity faster and likely drop out lint faster.

Last edited by lenaitch; 11-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 758

I don't know.... but it is interesting.

I think the answer lies in your dryers manufactures instructions....

But, just reflecting about a 1996 build that I just was remodeling the laundry.

It was a production built home and clearly was subject to 1996 code.

The dryer vent was a 4" non-flex vent DIRECTLY vertical thru the roof... (9 ft wall and probably 6-7 ft through the trusses.)

Surprized me.... I expected a lot of crap in it... but it was fine.

(As it was a remodel, I had a new 4 ft horizontal run outside... so I did not review code or MI. I have always thought it prudent to avoid verticals and bends.... I just don't remember what code/instructions govern )
Old 11-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 80

25ft is usually only for horizontal runs. The manual will give a much shorter distance for vertical runs.

If it's truly unused, make sure it's sealed and insulated wherever it runs through unconditioned space.

Out the basement wall is the best option. It doesn't take much time to punch a hole in the wall. Takes almost as much time to write up the bill

Cheers!
supers05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement