When Is It Time... - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree62Likes

Old 06-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
4t7

Rewards Points: 12

When is it time...

to finally give up on a vehicle..?

Share stories in this thread about your MOST troublesome vehicles.

Did you give up on trying to get the pos to run right? Did you finally find and resvolve the issue? If so...is she still parked in your driveway to this day? Anybody regret giving up on a car?

I still can't get my van (95' G20) to run good. The ***** just doesn't seem ready to die though. She fires up everytime, but she just doesn't have enough power...and with scrap prices so low it would be a shame to junk her. And man,bleep...I just don't know what to do with her

Anyways hoping ya'll have some good stories to share (If this is against this boards rules please accept my apology in advance)

Last edited by BigJim; 06-27-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: The foul language is against forum rules
4t7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 148

Re: When is it time...

2 weeks ago I put the second largest repair bill into my '94 Ford F-150. Fuel pump was going out and just going to the grocery store was a chore. 1st was an a/c compressor clutch locking up. They told me I needed all kinds of parts(I think they screwed me over) but I didn't know any better.
At 250,000 miles, it drips a little oil and I had to rob 1 half of the passenger seat belt to put on the driver's side(worn out latch). It's now a local distance truck.
4t7 likes this.

Last edited by beenthere; 06-27-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Language
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tizzer For This Useful Post:
4t7 (06-27-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
4t7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
2 weeks ago I put the second largest repair bill into my '94 Ford F-150. Fuel pump was going out and just going to the grocery store was a chore. 1st was an a/c compressor clutch locking up. They told me I needed all kinds of parts(I think they screwed me over) but I didn't know any better.
At 250,000 miles, it drips a little oil and I had to rob 1 half of the passenger seat belt to put on the driver's side(worn out latch). It's now a local distance truck.
..... man, this sounds terrible. And slightly similar to the nightmare that is my van. I'm not even gonna ask how much you put into that truck..

I would't mind having an old 90's ranger... Climbed some pretty serious hills in one. It wouldn't be so bad if I could actually figure out what is wrong with my van though.

[email protected] at the seatbelt remark

Last edited by BigJim; 06-27-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,622

I would still be driving my olds silhouette if somebody hadn't totaled it in my OWN DRIVEWAY. If my brother hadn't given me a Lincoln Navigator, I would have driven my Villager for the next 10 years, or until the transmission or engine gave completely out. I keep them until they DIE. Check the compression on your engine. If it is low, then the rings or valves are shot. If the compression is good, hey, sounds fixable as a DIY. Spend $27 for a one year subscription to All Data. MUCH better than a Haynes or Chilton.
r0ckstarr and 4t7 like this.

Last edited by Bigplanz; 06-27-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Bigplanz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigplanz For This Useful Post:
4t7 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
4t7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I would still be driving my olds silhouette if somebody hadn't totaled it in my OWN DRIVEWAY. If my brother hadn't given me a Lincoln Navigator, I would have driven my Villager for the next 10 years, or until the transmission or engine gave completely out. I keep them until they DIE. Check the compression on your engine. If it is low, then the rings or valves are shot. If the compression is good, hey, sounds fixable as a DIY. Spend $27 for a one year subscription to All Data. MUCH better than a Haynes or Chilton.
Totaled in your own drive...Sounds like a drunk driver.

Heh, yeah I actually read your posts a while back about your bro giving you that LincNav...and gotta admit I was a little jealous just from reading that. Ridulously awesome score on that man. It's funny though...I'm in my early 20's and the first vehicle I bought was a 2001 Grand Caravan for my mom and fam. I wish some **** would buy ME or give me a vehicle

On the issue of it possibly being the valves/rings...kinda funny that. Someone actually told me to look into that today. Gotta go get the pressure tester kit to do that...Definitely gonna check that next since you mention it as well. Wish me luck. I definitely need it. And thanks for tip on All Data. Will be looking into that as well

Thanks for the tips!

Last edited by 4t7; 06-27-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

I had to replace my 15 year old mini-van last summer. That was a bummer. The only reason was because the automatic sliding side door wasn't as 'automatic' anymore. The last time we opened it, it took a LOT of effort to get it closed again. My husband took it to the mechanic to see if it could be fixed. He said it would cost a little over $2,000 and there was no guarantee that it would work, because there was too much rust underneath. So repairing it didn't make sense.

But that van lasted 3 years longer than I expected it to. One HOT (105F) day in July 2012, I was driving home from Detroit and it was acting weird on the highway - like it wanted to stall. I stopped at a light about 2 miles from home and it stalled. It did start again and I barely got it home. Two days later, I told my husband about it and he took it for a test drive. It drove fine for him. And that's how that van was for the next 3 years - sometimes it drove just fine and other times the transmission acted goofy.
4t7 likes this.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
4t7 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:12 AM   #7
4t7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
I had to replace my 15 year old mini-van last summer. That was a bummer. The only reason was because the automatic sliding side door wasn't as 'automatic' anymore. The last time we opened it, it took a LOT of effort to get it closed again. My husband took it to the mechanic to see if it could be fixed. He said it would cost a little over $2,000 and there was no guarantee that it would work, because there was too much rust underneath. So repairing it didn't make sense.

But that van lasted 3 years longer than I expected it to. One HOT (105F) day in July 2012, I was driving home from Detroit and it was acting weird on the highway - like it wanted to stall. I stopped at a light about 2 miles from home and it stalled. It did start again and I barely got it home. Two days later, I told my husband about it and he took it for a test drive. It drove fine for him. And that's how that van was for the next 3 years - sometimes it drove just fine and other times the transmission acted goofy.
$2000 to repair a sliding door and NO guarantee it'll even work!? That's crazy talk, lol. At least you got another 3 years out of it though...I would love to get another 3 outta mine

Last edited by 4t7; 06-28-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:22 AM   #8
4t7

Keep 'em coming folks!

Your best auto-horror stories...

Lets hear 'em 🙋
Old 06-28-2016, 11:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t7 View Post
Totaled in your own drive...Sounds like a drunk driver.

Heh, yeah I actually read your posts a while back about your bro giving you that LincNav...and gotta admit I was a little jealous just from reading that. Ridulously awesome score on that man. It's funny though...I'm in my early 20's and the first vehicle I bought was a 2001 Grand Caravan for my mom and fam. I wish some **** would buy ME or give me a vehicle

On the issue of it possibly being the valves/rings...kinda funny that. Someone actually told me to look into that today. Gotta go get the pressure tester kit to do that...Definitely gonna check that next since you mention it as well. Wish me luck. I definitely need it. And thanks for tip on All Data. Will be looking into that as well

Thanks for the tips!
I was asleep at 1 am and heard BANG! Went outside and my van was smashed. A Volvo S70 hit it, guy was in a daze. I thought he was drunk too, but he wasn't. He swerved to AVOID a drunk, went off the road and hit me. Nobody hurt, thanktully. The drunk got away, though. I miss that olds. It was a winter driving machine! 3.2L engine was indestructible. Timing chain broke IN HALF on the expressway once, towed it home, replaced it, and it ran for another 2 years.
4t7 likes this.
Bigplanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t7 View Post

Thanks for the tips!
I'd also check with a vacuum gauge. You may have a restricted exhaust causing low power or poor acceleration.
Attached Thumbnails
When is it time...-vacuum-readings.jpg  
4t7 likes this.
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 47_47 For This Useful Post:
4t7 (06-28-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,500

I drove one for 28 years until a "DUMB BLONDE" on the phone T-boned it, Body work was more than a decent 6 year old replacement was a year ago.

Sure I had rebuilt the entire drive train, I happen to be A S E certified tech in my spare time.

But still I do miss the old thing.

It did not have all the new fangled NAGS built in, Low fuel, NAG, seat belt not fastened, NAG, low tire, NAG, keys in ignition when door is open, NAG, oil change due, NAG, low wiper fluid, NAG, and more NAGS .

I swear the newer ride thinks that I'm an old senile man or something.

ED
4t7 likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 418

I find that the time to give up is when the monthly repair bill begins to match the monthly payment of a new one. If it is continually breaking and stranding me, then I replace.
Currently have 204,840 miles on a 2000 S10 Chevy 4 cylinder. Will run it till it meets above criteria or I win the lottery and can afford a replacement.

Or the 1985 Ford Crown Vic that is dependable but a gas hog. Drive it to work 3 days a week, no AC. Not economically justifiable to fix the AC.

RR
4t7 likes this.

Last edited by Rough Rooster; 06-28-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #13
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,500

R. R. : Who needs air conditioning, I use the 2-80 air.

2 Windows down, 80 MPH.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 418

Ed, when you get out of the northern "cold" country and down into Central Texas the 2-80 just turns into a blast furnace and will cook you.
Good thing I only have a 15 mile commute. Make it in 20 minutes in "Aunt Bea".
My bride requires the AC to work so she gets the S10.

RR
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:46 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 82

I had a 1985 Ford EXP 5spd that looked like this one:

...but was tan and rusty. It was a 10yr old car when I got it. I bought it from a mechanic friend for $50. He said that someone brought it in to have the timing belt changed and never came back for it. After it legally became his, he sold it to me. At $50 for a running car, there isn't much to complain about.

The clutch slipped badly. One day I got stuck in wet grass.

I couldn't put an air cleaner in it, because any time that it went over 4k RPM's it would spit flames out of the carburetor as the revs came back down. The cost of a new carb was more than the car was worth, and it ran fine once you got it going, so I never changed the carb. Ran without an air filter for 2yrs.

There was a screw on the carb. To this day, I am still not sure what that screw was meant for (mechanic friend said it was for a flow bench or something), but I called it the "repair screw". If I started the car and it ran like crap, all I did was turn the screw all of the way the opposite way that I had turned it the day before and it cleared up and ran fine. In the colder months, this was required more than once per day.

The body was pretty rusted, and there was even more rust under the car. One night, I hit a pot hole and the entire exhaust fell off. Just broke off right at the exhaust manifold. I wired it up with coat hangers and drove it for a week like that before finally having the time to take it to a muffler shop. They laughed when they seen and heard the car.

The interior was shot. After ripping most everything out, all it had was 2 seats, a steering wheel, and a dash. I ended up selling it to a guy who was going to take it to Mexico for $200.

I sold it because I got tired of messing with it.
de-nagorg and 4t7 like this.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r0ckstarr For This Useful Post:
4t7 (06-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement