Used Automatic Transmissions - R U Experienced? - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree27Likes

Old 05-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14,354

Used automatic transmissions - R U experienced?

A while back, I asked about redoing the transmission on my 2001 Lexus LS 430. Now, it appears to have CV-19, and won't do much of anything, so I have to do something.

In a previous thread, one of our members, @ukrkoz , suggested I go to clublexus.com and pose the question there, and I did, and I got some interesting responses from Lexus fanatics who keep saying I should buy a new one. Nope. Hain't gonna, and that's final. (Stomping foot.)

So, have ANY of you ever used a used transmission in any kind of vehicle at any time in the recent past? Or, do you know someone who has?

If so, please share.

Someone suggested getting another car, yeah, right. There's two Lexi for sale now on Craigslist in LA, when normally there's about 30.

And, to provide inspiration, in another context:

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

It's a crapshoot. Try and find a low mile wreck in a junk yard with just cosmetic damage if you can. That's your best bet, but it still doesn't guarantee a working transmission.

Could also rebuild the one you have. Might end up costing about the same but you know it'll work.
DoomsDave likes this.
Joeywhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Re: Used automatic transmissions - R U experienced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
It's a crapshoot. Try and find a low mile wreck in a junk yard with just cosmetic damage if you can. That's your best bet, but it still doesn't guarantee a working transmission.

Could also rebuild the one you have. Might end up costing about the same but you know it'll work.
I've been advised that rebuilding will run about $3,000. This is a fairly sophisticated "tranny"; I wouldn't even attempt to rebuild one myself.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,910

Can you do the remove/reinstall, or will you be paying someone to do it ?

The guarantee on a used tranny is usually 30-90 days, if you get a guarantee at all.. But that's just the exchange of the bad one for a different one. You have to cover the 2nd R&R. So, if you are paying someone for 2 R&Rs plus the one tranny cost, you will be darn close (or possibly over) rebuild cost.
That is the craps shoot.

Have you talked to a good tranny man about your symptoms ? Or did you jump to the rebuild/replace idea directly. The more sophisticated the tranny, the greater possibility that it isn't the tranny but an associated sensor or signal.

Bottom line, your Lexus is either worth your putting up to $3,000 in it to keep and drive it, or it isn't. If it isn't, get one of those "we will take your car running or not" to pick it up and use that $3,000 towards a new to you car.
DoomsDave likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses so far.

I wish there were more Lexi to choose from. Right now, there's almost none.

My regular mechanic will remove and replace the old trans for $540; if that has to be done more than once, not too bad, but still . . . .
Old 05-14-2020, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
Can you do the remove/reinstall, or will you be paying someone to do it ?

The guarantee on a used tranny is usually 30-90 days, if you get a guarantee at all.. But that's just the exchange of the bad one for a different one. You have to cover the 2nd R&R. So, if you are paying someone for 2 R&Rs plus the one tranny cost, you will be darn close (or possibly over) rebuild cost.
That is the craps shoot.

Have you talked to a good tranny man about your symptoms ? Or did you jump to the rebuild/replace idea directly. The more sophisticated the tranny, the greater possibility that it isn't the tranny but an associated sensor or signal.

Bottom line, your Lexus is either worth your putting up to $3,000 in it to keep and drive it, or it isn't. If it isn't, get one of those "we will take your car running or not" to pick it up and use that $3,000 towards a new to you car.
Thanks!

Might be worth slapping on a mask and going to a tranny shop. No cost to ask. I doubt it's sensor, though, based on comments from an earlier (and no closed) thread. Burned clutch plates; burnt fluid. Ick.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,040

What diagnostic work have you done on this ? Checked fluid level ? Smelled fluid to see if it's burnt ? Scanned the ECU for any stored trouble codes ? What previous service/maintenance work was done on the transmission ?
Porsche986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4,352

I wouldn’t buy a used tranny, you already have a used tranny. I had a tranny failure a few years ago and I got a rebuilt one installed at a local independent shop that rebuilds them in house. There are usually updates that go in rebuilts making them better than original. It cost $500 more than buying a used one and having it installed, and it came with a good warranty. If the car isn’t worth a rebuilt, I would junk it. It is a 20 year old car, I would get rid of it. If you sink a lot of money in it, you will be married to it.
DoomsDave likes this.

Last edited by Old Thomas; 05-14-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Thomas For This Useful Post:
DoomsDave (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 15,758

Buying a junk car would be used transmission.

https://buyusedengine.com/productpag...smission&size=
https://buyusedengine.com/used_trans...us&model=LS430
DoomsDave likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
DoomsDave (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 08:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 452

Used many over the time I operated a repair shop.
ALWAYS removed oil pan and checked for burned clutch debris along with metal powder before ever leaving salvage yard. If I found any I rejected the transmission. Some places would not allow the inspection, so I shopped elsewhere.
If the transmission passes the inspection it is usually a good one.
It is a lot of labor to change a transmission and care must be exercised to make sure everything is in place before tightening bolts.

RR
raylo32, de-nagorg, Nealtw and 1 others like this.
Rough Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rough Rooster For This Useful Post:
DoomsDave (05-15-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:18 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 6,152

The one thing you never hear about hendrix is how big his hands were.

This is what made it extremely easy for him to play.

Now every time you watch or see him play you will notice it.
de-nagorg and DoomsDave like this.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #12
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,992

Dave: Get thee to the nearest AAMCO repair shop, they warranty it for life, all you have to do is schedule an annual flush and refill on the fluids, and they pay for that.

You are out the few hours to get the vehicle in there and pick it up afterwards, but that is easy.

They will advise you on if a rebuild of yours, or a swap to one of their in stock rebuilts is best.

Like RR, I have rebuilt several in the old days, And like he said if the clutch pack, or the plates have been damaged, a rebuild is in your future.

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:18 AM   #13
What is that?

Rewards Points: 1,808

I install used transmissions all the time. First before it comes off the truck is to check the fluid. If it's anything other than red fluid, send it back. If it's beat up, sent it back. Now CV transmissions use a special CV oil. Some are darker than others. Know what color the fluid is before excepting a used trans. If getting rebuilt, they have to be experienced in CV overhaul. The CV transmissions are a different animal. If it was me, I'd call LKQ and slap a used unit in there. You can pay a little more for a year warranty. And remember to blow out the cooler lines.
raylo32 and DoomsDave like this.
DoomsDave (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Dave: Get thee to the nearest AAMCO repair shop, they warranty it for life, all you have to do is schedule an annual flush and refill on the fluids, and they pay for that.

You are out the few hours to get the vehicle in there and pick it up afterwards, but that is easy.

They will advise you on if a rebuild of yours, or a swap to one of their in stock rebuilts is best.

Like RR, I have rebuilt several in the old days, And like he said if the clutch pack, or the plates have been damaged, a rebuild is in your future.

ED
They might do all those things, but for a price that's more than the car's worth.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #15

Thanks for the replies so far!
@Brainbucket , the fluid in my tranny looks a lot like gumbo broth without the tasso and shrimp, but with pieces of other things. Didn't see any okra, but heaven alone only knows what's in there.

I'm gonna put the nudge on my repair shop and get them to try to locate one, or at least engage the machinations for it. They also recommended LKQ!
Advertisement