Thoughts On Tires - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree7Likes

Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 58

Thoughts on tires

Have a 2013 Equinox with 72K miles. It still has the original Michelin tires. They look like they are hardly worn, BUT they are seven years old. Should these tires be trusted on a trip?

I have heard that they shouldn't be pushed after 5 years. And I did have a good looking 8 year old Goodyear go flat on me, only to be told by the tire repair that it could not be repaired, and showed me the fine cracking taking place.
RanK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 456

Re: Thoughts on tires

You're probably going to get a variety of responses, and rightfully so because there are a number of factors and opinions, but, based on my own personal experiences and observations, I would be looking at replacements, regardless of wear bars or any other factors. Just plain old sunlight and time are as hard on tires as anything, and I've seen too many tires with minimal mileage that I wouldn't want to drive even a couple of miles on. And, in my opinion, "going on a "trip" is not a factor because I frankly think trips are sometimes overrated as far as vehicle maintenance is concerned. Not saying it's you, but in a similar regard we've all seen people who will drive back and forth to work, day in and day out, with dozens of stops for gas, groceries, and whatever, hundreds and hundreds of starts, stops, turns, sharp turns in and out of parking lots, etc., and all of a sudden it's a rush for the mechanic or whoever to change the oil, check the fluids, rotate the tires, and everything else because they're "going on a trip". Not every time, but many, a trip involves long stretches of highway, less braking, often with fewer starts and stops in 500 miles than a lot of people have in a two minute trip to the store, and ultimately less wear on the wearables. So not based on a trip, but on 7 year old tires that you obviously have some question about, I would probably replace them.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 12:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,664

The wife had a car ( KNOX ) that had premature tire problems. We happen to have had service from a tire shop guy that is as honest as the day is long. He knows tires and looked at some number on the 4 tires and with that information he said: " Those 2 front tires were junk when they were put on at the factory but the 2 back tires are good ". This was after i was tired of those tires and mentioned to him to just to replace all 4 with new. So it can be a toss of the coin. I once had a spare tire for a pick-up truck that had never been mounted, went bad with a bulge while hanging. If those were mine i'd air them to within 5 psi of max stated on the tire and never look back. Their proven and a new tire isn't.

EDIT: EDIT:
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,374

As long as there aren't any more than minor weather checking I wouldn't be overly concerned. I'd be more concerned if there were a lot of highway miles or if it was on my wife's car. The main thing is to inspect them regularly and don't run them soft.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,386

I worry after 10 years. It depends what they look like.
papereater likes this.
Old Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,760

I'll ride a tire till its almost bald.

And I don't care how old it is.

You see people riding with the wires showing so that'll tell all you need to know.

Ever moved a mobile home/trailer some of those tires are 20+ years old.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 604

If the sidewalls are cracking, I would go to a Michelin dealer and have them look at the tires. Many times, they will "adjust" the tires if there is significant cracking. Meaning, they will look at your tread depth and credit you a percentage towards the purchase of a new set.
My brother retired from GY and the stores did this all of the time for cracking sidewalls.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 58

Thanks all, great info. ..... Yes, it is possible the 8 year old Goodyear, with hardly any wear, may have been unrepairable 'because it did go flat' while parked, and thus aggrevated the cracking. The tire guys pumped it up and the air was leaking through the sidewall.

The Michelins look like they have another 50K miles on them, but it's the wifes car and she will be making a 300 mile trip to our daughters, so I was a little concerned about the age. ....... But I'm also concerned about dropping $600 prematurely. ....... Decisions decisions.
RanK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,500

The Michelins are fine, IMO. I might start worrying about them at 10 years or if they develop dry rot or cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanK2 View Post
Thanks all, great info. ..... Yes, it is possible the 8 year old Goodyear, with hardly any wear, may have been unrepairable 'because it did go flat' while parked, and thus aggrevated the cracking. The tire guys pumped it up and the air was leaking through the sidewall.

The Michelins look like they have another 50K miles on them, but it's the wifes car and she will be making a 300 mile trip to our daughters, so I was a little concerned about the age. ....... But I'm also concerned about dropping $600 prematurely. ....... Decisions decisions.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
dj3

Rewards Points: 604

I've had Michelin tires for years. some were excellent and some not so.
One set lasted 92,000 miles on a work van.
One set had the sidewalls fail after 5 years with relatively low mileage on a SUV.
It's your call. If you live in hot climate, replacing based on their condition makes sense. And you don't have to replace with Michelin tires.
dj3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 5,664

This one held air long enough to get to the consignment auction. What's the problem Vern?
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 774

If it was my wife and daughters, I'd replace the front ones, but maybe not the back. A high-speed blowout on the back is inconvenient, but far less dangerous than blowing a front tire on the interstate.

Although, my go-to tire shop won't put a new pair on the front, at least not here, where snow and ice are common (sliding/spinout issues). I just rotate them myself if I choose to.

Btw, the DOT date code on the tires will tell you the age of the tires, which may be a year or 2 older than the vehicle.

Last edited by HotRodx10; 05-21-2020 at 05:11 PM.
HotRodx10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,964

I wouldnt "drive em til theyre bald", as mentioned, as there is a good chance this can cost you your life (and those others inside the vehicle). If anything, drive them "til theyre bald" under 55 mphm, for no more than 20 minutes per trip. No jokes.

I had tires 16 years old on my 87 sunbird GT. Did not go over 55, and only from/to work (15-20 minutes max). That way, even in summer, they cant heat up and explode. Yes, they will.
papereater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx10 View Post
A high-speed blowout on the back is inconvenient, but far less dangerous than blowing a front tire on the interstate.

Actually I understood the reverse was true. A blowout on the rear is worse than on the front. Not sure why I thought that, but what I do know for sure is that a blowout on the rear is terrifying. I had one on I95 many years ago, at 70 mph. ............Did a little web after I wrote the above, (I'm bored) and the opinions expressed were about 50/50 which is more dangerous. Soooo, I am going with ANY blowout is dangerous.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:00 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 774

A blowout on the front is much more likely to cause a loss of control or a rollover.

Anyway, a question I forgot to ask is whether yours are run on flat (ROF) tires. Some of the newer vehicles came with those as OE.
ajaye likes this.
HotRodx10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement