Think They're Going To Total This Out? - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes

Old 12-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 82

Think they're going to total this out?

Yesterday, while driving home from work, my girlfriend was involved in a car accident. She was driving down the interstate at 65mph when a pill popper with a suspended license changed lanes into the side of her truck causing her to spin sideways. While sideways, she got tagged in the bed corner by a 4-runner before coming to a stop. The guy who caused the accident has insurance. She had 3 witnesses stop and give her their info. The police say that it's 100% the fault of the guy with the suspended license.

I've read online that if the damage is more than 60% of the cars value, they total it out in Texas.

NADA says that the truck is worth somewhere between $3200-$5500. The truck was in near mint condition, without even a single scratch inside the bed and out, before the accident.

While waiting on the insurance adjuster to come out and look at it, I am wondering if they will total it out. And, if so, I am tempted to buy it back, replace the bed myself, and continue on with the life of the truck. It's a 2004 Ranger.

I've looked it over fairly well, and the only damage is body damage.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 12-10-2016 at 11:29 AM.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,230

Re: Think they're going to total this out?

cost or repairs>value of the car=total. Then keep the truck, take repair money and give to some well priced body guy to fix.

Typically, cars are considered to be “totaled” when the cost to repair the vehicle is higher than the actual cash value (ACV) of the vehicle. Practically speaking, however, it is not always practical to repair a vehicle, even if the cost of repair is less than its ACV. A vehicle worth $4,000 requiring $3,000 in repairs might be considered “totaled” by an insurer even though the cost of repair is less than its value before the accident. Insurance companies will typically consider such a vehicle to be a total loss, even though the repairs are only 75 percent of ACV.

http://www.claimsjournal.com/news/na.../05/240841.htm
Dave Sal likes this.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ukrkoz For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 8,982

Borderline.

If you like the truck, take the check....then go buy a used truck bed.

A majority of totaled vehicles have front end damage. It should be easy to find a mint truck bed. Swapping out that truck bed is a Saturday morning job.

Repairing that damage on the bottom of the cab is about $200 labor. It gets painted when the new bed gets painted. Should be able to do all of it for about $1500.

Expect the insurance to figure the repair cost using a used truck bed. Normal practice. That is why it's going to be a wobbler....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-10-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,635

Wait and see what they say before you say anything.

I was really concerned the the last time I had damage. I expressed the opinion that I wanted it fixed, not totaled and they did it. I had to be near the max. I was hit into the back and forced into the car ahead of me. So damage front and rear.

Buying the totaled truck could be a very good deal for you. It worked well for people I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 148

Why not replace the fender instead of the whole bed? Might be hard finding a dent free 2004 used bed, plus more labor prepping and painting a bed over just a fender.
If it gets totaled won't it show on the vehicle's car fax report? Thinking down the road when you go to re-sell.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tizzer For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
Why not replace the fender instead of the whole bed? Might be hard finding a dent free 2004 used bed, plus more labor prepping and painting a bed over just a fender.
If it gets totaled won't it show on the vehicle's car fax report? Thinking down the road when you go to re-sell.
I think they are pinch welded if I am not mistaken and come off as a singular unit.

I would check Craigslist and look for a straight one.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzer View Post
As Windows said, you can't replace the side of the bed. The only aftermarket parts are lower corners for the rust prone areas which would require you to cut out and weld in the new corners. Easiest approach would be to replace the entire bed with a used one.

Not too concerned with reselling the truck. We planned to drive it until it was ready to be hauled to a junk yard. We've had my '96 Ranger since it was new, and have no plans on getting rid of it either, even before the accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
I would check Craigslist and look for a straight one.
If it comes down to it, my current idea is to take the dented bed off of the truck. Then drive the truck without a bed to get the used bed and bolt it on where I buy it. I've had the bed off of my '96 Ranger so many times, I could swap them out in less than an hour.

Last edited by r0ckstarr; 12-10-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 26

Box sides are replaced all the time, though it's time consuming. They make special little hole saws for cutting the spot welds, then you tear it off and weld the new one on.

In your case, it would be cheaper and easier to just find a whole new box. Being a really common color you have a good chance of finding one the same color.

As a side note, truck boxes from Texas are a desirable item up here in the snowy Midwest for their lack of rust.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk
Radcon91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,380

I am not familiar with the statutes in Texas, but here in wide open Wyoming it is considered very dangerous for any vehicle to be driven without the bed, or fenders on them, and is a violation of the statutes.

And an immediate citation is issued, and no argument is accepted as a "get out of jail" card.
Not that it's not done, but thrown rocks and road debris is nothing to have flying around behind you.

And a quick scan through e-bay, and there are some beds there in worse shape than you have, for sale for $300.00 . And some undamaged ones too.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to de-nagorg For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:46 PM   #10

The guy who hit my girlfriend has a suspended license. His insurance says they will not cover the accident due to him having a suspended license. Looks like I may be replacing the bed myself.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,380

I feared that was going to happen, I have seen it.

Does your policy have collision coverage?

If so have your insurance cover it, and they will hound the pill popper until they get their money back, those insurance companies are ruthless.

Those careless fools should be locked up until they can be as responsible as the rest of us.

I apologize for the rant, as I said I have been in your shoes myself.

ED
r0ckstarr and Mrbuilder like this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Thanks for the info. I just relayed your message to her. She does have collision coverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
Those careless fools should be locked up until they can be as responsible as the rest of us.

I apologize for the rant, as I said I have been in your shoes myself.

ED [/SIZE]
No need for the apology. I completely agree with you.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:29 PM   #13
Knows Enough to be Danger

Rewards Points: 1,173

That sucks man. I love how it's "your problem" because "their client" didn't have his crap together.
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 830

Yup, turn in the claim to her insurance. They can decide to go after the other insurance company or driver for reimbursement. Just because the other vehicle's insurance company initially says they won't pay does not mean they are always legally able to deny coverage. Her insurance company will be obligated to pay for the damage and they employ an army of lawyers to seek restitution. At the very least the other driver may not be able to get his license until he settles the matter with them.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
r0ckstarr (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,726

About a year ago I let my agent add an "uninsured driver" rider to my policy, it added about 20% to the premiums, and this is why.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement