Slip Sliding Away. The Transmission That Is. - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree16Likes

Old 12-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,182

Slip sliding away. The transmission that is.

2000 Navigator. COLD today. 12 when I went out to go to work (made sure to bundle up the kids, hoodies and heavy coats, gloves, for that bus stop wait with mom).

Anyway, got in, started it, turned on the seat warmer (it works) and put it in D. Tach went up, car didn't move. Uh oh. Kind of tapped the gas again and it moved off sluggishly from the curb. About 30 seconds of driving and everything appeared normal. No shifting issues after that. Shifts smooth, etc.

Cold weather AT slips generally mean low fluid or worn clutches, bands, etc. I have some Lucas AT treatment somewhere in the garage. I will throw some of that in there. Tranny problems are beyond my ability to repair, so I might be bailing on this Navigator if the tranny is toast.
Bigplanz is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 12:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 82

Re: Slip sliding away. The transmission that is.

I don't know much about modern auto transmissions, but could it be something electrical, like a sensor?
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,556

You obviously know what to do.

Check the fluid first, if low re-fill.

Of course Check it when warmed up in drive at idle.

If low this could be connected to the other problem, (vacuum leak), remember I said if the modulator is bad it is sucking fluid into the engine, Won't suck much at any given time, but a little at a time adds up.

And if it needs a rebuild , I still think that it's worth the expense.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post
If low this could be connected to the other problem, (vacuum leak), remember I said if the modulator is bad it is sucking fluid
This is sort of what I meant, but don't know enough to explain. The newer transmissions don't have vacuum modulators. It's electronically controlled.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by de-nagorg View Post

If low this could be connected to the other problem, (vacuum leak), remember I said if the modulator is bad it is sucking fluid into the engine, Won't suck much at any given time, but a little at a time adds up.

ED
Thanks for mentioning the modulator. I looked and looked for a part called a vacuum modulator for a Navigator or Expedition or an F-150. The last model that had this as a listed part was a 1997 F-150. The Nav/Expedition/F-150 were new in 1998 based on the same platform. If my Navigator has such a device it is either named something else or it is an electrical component, possibly a solenoid, inside the transmission (I suspect). If you know if this SUV has a vacuum modulator, please link to a part, because I couldn't find it anywhere.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

I was going from my experience on vehicles from a long gone era.

So If the newer ones are electronic controlled , forget that I kept pushing the device.

Still Check the fluid level, and if low refill it.

And look for a leak somewhere, like a seal at the torque converter, or the rear seal, or any gaskets, etc.

But I still think that fixing the transmission is better than junking the thing.

Remember every used car will have a few things that needs more attention than it got before, or it would still be in the previous owners yard.

Even a gifted one from a relative.

ED
Windows on Wash and r0ckstarr like this.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
What is that?

Rewards Points: 1,544

Check the fluid level when the vehicle it at normal operating temp. Low fluid will cause this. What color is the fluid? Nice and red is good. Dark red is ok but needs changed. Brown is bad. Black is toast. You can service it but when this happens, it is a symptom of a tranny going out. If you flush it, you risk tranny death. But if it continues you know it's gone so I would flush it if the fluid is red. It's a gamble when you flush a tranny that hasn't been serviced properly. It usually kills it. But I have woke a few up. If it does crap out on you, just get a good low mileage one and stick in there. I use LKQ. I hardy build them anymore as a good used one hasn't had any problems that can carry over and it's a lot faster on the turn around.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,562

If it is just a one time slip and the fluid is okay looking, I have had good luck with the BG full flush and clean.

My issues were more related to a solenoid that was hanging up because of some of the waxes that had accumulated.

I good long hot drive with the cleaner it it and then complete fluid exchange and flush and its running like new again.

270K and counting.
de-nagorg likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

I will drive to Harbor Freight (about five miles) at lunch because I need funnels anyway (kid's think they make cute hats for the dog, dog disagrees and chews them up). When I get there, I will check the fluid and maybe even shoot a vid of the dipstick so you can see the color. I found my Lucas AT treatment in the basement. Can't even remember why I bought it, exactly. I will pour it in, then drive on the interstate while going back to the office.

Tranny shifts seem sluggish and slightly delayed when cold. I have a remote starter so this morning I stuck my fob out the door, started the car and let it warm up for ten minutes. Seemed to help. I will get the fluid changed one way or the other. My Christmas gift to myself, a tranny fluid change.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
My Christmas gift to myself, a tranny fluid change.
Your Christmas gift to the dog, a new set of chew toys.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:33 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,054

Change your filter if possible (some like Honda use internal filters and fluid with solvent to keep junk suspended) and use a quality (not the name brands) synthetic fluid like Red Line. You might want to flush it with cheap fluid before switching to a quality synthetic fluid.
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplanz View Post
I will drive to Harbor Freight (about five miles) at lunch
Did you make it to Harbor Fright?
Old 12-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #13

I started to leave at lunch and remembered our office Christmas party so I didn't get to HF until the afternoon. Found out why my tranny was slipping. 2 QUARTS low. Now, this pisses me off, because I had an oil change and they told me all my fluids were good. Seems adding fluid also cured my "dying every time I put it in reverse" issues. All shifts now are rock solid. Tach doesn't move or hunt. I might have added a pint too much. It is red up in the "do not add" area, but not above it.

Video below.

123pugsy likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigplanz For This Useful Post:
123pugsy (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 08:54 AM   #14
JUSTA MEMBER

2 quarts, I would be wondering where it is going.

Something else to check on , until you find that it is not using it or leaking.

Could someone before you owned it have had a transmission fluid and filter service at a recommended mileage?

And not gotten enough in?

ED
Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #15

No leaks. Not a drop. It is going to be mid-60s today, so I might put it on ramps and check for fluid. My brother owned the car. He had some tranny work down in 2010, corroded lines and a solenoid bad. He gave me the invoice. Cost him 2 G's. I will check levels again, cold and hot, and it is overfilled I have a suction pump and long hose, so I will suck some out of the fill tube, if needed. When I drove it after adding fluid, shifts were very positive and decisive. When I parked, I put it in R, D, 2, 1 and the tach didn't move at all.
123pugsy and de-nagorg like this.

Last edited by Bigplanz; 12-17-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement