Jeep Overheat - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By yardmullet
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Brainbucket
  • 1 Post By yardmullet

Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 280

Jeep Overheat

Wrangler overheated yesterday, pegged the gauge. So I drove it ...just kidding.

Took off cap and it blew all this metal flake looking stuff. See pics.. After it cooled, I filled w/h20 and it idled fine. No smoky bubbles in rad. Never have had any overheat issues even delivering mail, stop n go, extended idling.
Figured it must have eaten the pump.

Took off pump today. It is smooth. not a lot of silver flakes in it or thermostat housing. So I'm kinda puzzled. I bought it used and thought maybe prev owner had put some kind of leak stop in it, but coolant was pretty clean when I changed it last year.
Any thoughts?

bill g
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Overheat-img_20190521_171023220.jpg   Jeep Overheat-img_20190521_171037778_burst001.jpg   Jeep Overheat-img_20190521_171112610.jpg   Jeep Overheat-img_20190521_171711331-1-.jpg   Jeep Overheat-img_20190521_172010926.jpg  

yardmullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 16,504

Re: Jeep Overheat

You have checked the oil.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Nothing in the filter.

No milkshakes either.
bg
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 11:11 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,032

That looks like remnants of Aluma-seal, a stop leak made from powdered Aluminum, and some kind of adhesive, maybe there was a blown head gasket, that they fixed, and still had a small problem, and they "sealed" it with the stuff, and it finally accumulated in the radiator reservoir.

NEVER remove the radiator cap on a hot engine, NEVER, NEVER.

It erupts with at least 15 psi, and spews the hot fluid all over, possibly into your eyes, burns the skin off your face, arms, and torso.

If you don't die, you will be so ugly, that you can't pay anyone to look at you.

Anyway, don't do it again.

Keep a close watch on the Jeep, and be careful for a while, to see if it has corrected it's overheating, or it gets worse.

Watch, wait, and hope for a good outcome.

ED
Windows on Wash and Mystriss like this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:59 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 904

Not sure why you went to the water pump first ??

A little history on your jeep would be nice. How long have you had it? When was the radiator flushed last? how often is the coolant changed? have you verified the electric fan is coming on like it should? what year jeep?
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,884

+1 to the previous comment. Small shaving are no big deal, but if there is a bunch...it could be that "head gasket in a bottle" stuff which indicates a larger issue.

If the thermostat was not a "fail open" type, that will obviously spike the coolant temps as well. Replace the thermostat with a fail open variant and the water pump and put it back together.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
What is that?

Rewards Points: 1,596

Yeah, that's stop leak of some kind. Now this sounds stupid but it has reared its ugly head on the plastic water pump impeller. Grab the impeller and try to twist it on the shaft. I have seen that. But it's probably your radiator stopped up with stop leak. Look at radiator, block (freeze plugs), heater core drain (does your windshield fog up when you first turn on defrost?), hoses to see water leak evidence. We need to find out why there is stop leak in the cooling system. Worst case would be a blown head gasket.
de-nagorg likes this.

Last edited by Brainbucket; 05-22-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Brainbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Folks,
Thanks for replies and warnings.

Looks like fan plug had bad/melted connection. I was unsure about stop leak stuff since there was none visible when drained last year. Jeep v6 has a well documented "feature" which allows you to smell water leak with no apparent leak. Maybe prev owner dumped Barrs or something to try to fix that.

I don't think like a mechanic anymore. So I thought maybe water pump. But vanes are ok. Hopefully head gaskets, etc are ok.

I learned about rad caps in HS in 60's working at a Chevron station right off a major road. Folks would pull in, steam everywhere. The station owner would tell me get out there, keep 'em from taking off rad cap. Sometimes I didn't get there on time. Some of the motors would be bucking so hard when cooling off, the car would rock. We'd refill cooling system and they'd head on their way. Good old Detroit iron.

Also at that time, being a hippie, before I got drafted, I learned about ponytails and alternator belts.
bg
de-nagorg likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to yardmullet For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
What is that?

Rewards Points: 1,596

Fix the plug connection, put it back together, and see if she overheats. Make sure the fans cycle on and off. Fan not coming on will make it overheat going slow, stop and go traffic, A/C is on. I wouldn't worry bout the stop leak as most of it is gone.
Advertisement