2008 Nissan Sentra Stumbles At 3000 RPM - Automotive Repairs - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Do It Yourself > Automotive Repairs

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree41Likes

Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 1,456

2008 Nissan Sentra Stumbles at 3000 RPM

We finally found a Nissan Sentra with a 6 speed manual transmission and bought it. It has the 2.5 engine that I really didn't want but the Sentra is hard to fine with a straight stick. One consolation is the straight stick 2.5 engine don't have the screws that come loose in the power valve and drop into the engine. That is one reason we wanted the straight stick. I also don't trust the CVT transmission, I have heard a lot of bad things about them.

How ever it does have the pre-cat catalytic converter but I don't know if there are issues with the Sentra like they are with the Altima. I do know the CEL is on so there are issues with the car. I will run a scan tomorrow and see what they are. I will bet one is the catalytic converter.

We got a really good price on the car and it is clean as a pin. I love driving it except for the stumble at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear, after I hit 4th and on it seems to be ok only if I don't try to increase the speed.

Would just the Converter cause this. Oh when it is cold it doesn't stumble, only when it gets full warm. Man I hope this car isn't a money pit like the Pathfinder was. I thought i never was going to stop buying parts for it.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,366

Re: 2008 Nissan Sentra Stumbles at 3000 RPM

I know little about this new stuff but there is something about a sensor failure that puts you in safe mode and that has a limit of 3 K
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 05:06 AM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Thanks Neal, I will check that out.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,366

Sounds like the CVT just needs a transmission oil cooler.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
We finally found a Nissan Sentra with a 6 speed manual transmission and bought it. It has the 2.5 engine that I really didn't want but the Sentra is hard to fine with a straight stick. One consolation is the straight stick 2.5 engine don't have the screws that come loose in the power valve and drop into the engine. That is one reason we wanted the straight stick. I also don't trust the CVT transmission, I have heard a lot of bad things about them.

How ever it does have the pre-cat catalytic converter but I don't know if there are issues with the Sentra like they are with the Altima. I do know the CEL is on so there are issues with the car. I will run a scan tomorrow and see what they are. I will bet one is the catalytic converter.

We got a really good price on the car and it is clean as a pin. I love driving it except for the stumble at 3000 rpm in 3rd gear, after I hit 4th and on it seems to be ok only if I don't try to increase the speed.

Would just the Converter cause this. Oh when it is cold it doesn't stumble, only when it gets full warm. Man I hope this car isn't a money pit like the Pathfinder was. I thought i never was going to stop buying parts for it.

Hey Jim,
Most have some kinda enrichment function when cold.

So you got rid of Pathfinder?
bg
yardmullet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Sounds like the CVT just needs a transmission oil cooler.

He has MANUAL transmission. MANUAL.
de-nagorg and Nealtw like this.

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,268

What year is that Sentra?

ukrkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,476

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What year is that Sentra?
Title: 2008.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,476

Jim: in the old days B E, ( before electronics), that symptom was a sure sign of sticking mechanical advance in the distributor.

So I suspect that you are on the right track, with checking a code-reader, and seeing what sensors might be fouled up, sending a code to the ECM, to keep the RPM down.

The worst that could happen, is that you need a new Electronic Control Module, I hope not. $$$.

ED
BigJim likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #10
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmullet View Post
Hey Jim,
Most have some kinda enrichment function when cold.

So you got rid of Pathfinder?
bg
No, we still have it and the AC is getting worse Bill. We can't get rid of it we have way too much in it to get rid of it. New brakes, new rotors, new wheel cylinders, new front struts, new rear shocks, all four rear trailing arms new $60 bolts in them. two new catalytic converters, two new 02 sensors, new set of tires.

We are only getting 14 mpg in the Pathfinder, that is a bit more than we wish, to drive around town, on the hwy not too bad. The Sentra gets something like 24 mpg city.

I ran a code this morning and there is just one code, P0420 yep catalytic converter. There are no other codes pending so the cat is shot, I think.

I don't know if this cat can be gutted or not. On the Altima it is a single pre-cat, this is two small cats at the pre-cat and two 02 sensors.

I am concerned because this is a 2.5 engine and the Altima with the 2.5 had a serious pre-cat problem where the converter was too close to the exhaust manifold and the high heat destroyed the converter and the sand like stuff got sucked back into the engine and there goes the engine. Also I read that the straight stick trans bolted to the 2.5, there was no power valve.

The power valves on the Nissans are notorious for the screws in the butterflys coming loose and dropping into the engine. Screws inside the combustion chamber aren't real health for the engine. Not to mention that the screws will bend the tang on the spark plugs causing a total misfire and raw gas through a good catalytic converter is death for the converter.

If I can get by the pre-cat and the power valve issue I will be one happy camper. Any information?

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 08-07-2019 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
No, we still have it and the AC is getting worse Bill. We can't get rid of it we have way too much in it to get rid of it. New brakes, new rotors, new wheel cylinders, new front struts, new rear shocks, all four rear trailing arms new $60 bolts in them. two new catalytic converters, two new 02 sensors, new set of tires.

We are only getting 14 mpg in the Pathfinder, that is a bit more than we wish, to drive around town, on the hwy not too bad. The Sentra gets something like 24 mpg city.

I ran a code this morning and there is just one code, P0420 yep catalytic converter. There are no other codes pending so the cat is shot, I think.

I don't know if this cat can be gutted or not. On the Altima it is a single pre-cat, this is two small cats at the pre-cat and two 02 sensors.

I am concerned because this is a 2.5 engine and the Altima with the 2.5 had a serious pre-cat problem where the converter was too close to the exhaust manifold and the high heat destroyed the converter and the sand like stuff got sucked back into the engine and there goes the engine. Also I read that the straight stick trans bolted to the 2.5, there was no power valve.

The power valves on the Nissans are notorious for the screws in the butterflys coming loose and dropping into the engine. Screws inside the combustion chamber aren't real health for the engine. Not to mention that the screws will bend the tang on the spark plugs causing a total misfire and raw gas through a good catalytic converter is death for the converter.

If I can get by the pre-cat and the power valve issue I will be one happy camper. Any information?

Jim,
Try these links:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=2008+sentr...&t=ffnt&ia=web

Wish I could have taken more time on your ac. My jeep was getting hinky-was why I took so long getting to your house after exit. Couldn't go over 50 on highway and was getting slower. Went home up I24 over the hills following 18 wheelers, finally driving on apron at 5mph and bailed at that truck pulloff after 64, got a tow home. Real nice guy -Pat Mid State Towing Hillsborough. Seemed to know stuff. We talked about your ac. He suggested expansion valve.
But looking at your expenditures for vehicle repairs, maybe I need to open a shop over there

bg
Old 08-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardmullet View Post
Jim,
Try these links:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=2008+sentr...&t=ffnt&ia=web

Wish I could have taken more time on your ac. My jeep was getting hinky-was why I took so long getting to your house after exit. Couldn't go over 50 on highway and was getting slower. Went home up I24 over the hills following 18 wheelers, finally driving on apron at 5mph and bailed at that truck pulloff after 64, got a tow home. Real nice guy -Pat Mid State Towing Hillsborough. Seemed to know stuff. We talked about your ac. He suggested expansion valve.
But looking at your expenditures for vehicle repairs, maybe I need to open a shop over there

bg
Man I really hate you had all that trouble on your way home.

Jim
Old 08-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

I drove the Sentra today and when it was cold it ran great no problems and had fantastic power. The 200 hp in that little car will get up and go. Soon as it got to full temps, it started bogging down when accelerating/ I was wrong it doesn't wait until 3000 rpm, it bogs down at any rpm when I accelerate, very little power and jerking almost like a heat checked brake drum will make a car jerk when stopping only worse.

I hope the next couple of days I can get that converter off so I can punch it out and see if that is what it is. If it is I will just go ahead and buy one and replace it. This car uses premium gas and I can bet who owned it before used regular ethanol gas. What ever caused the converter to go bad needs to be fixed so another one don't go down the tubes, they are kinda proud of them things. Not to mention I am really getting way to old to crawl under a car.
de-nagorg likes this.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 08-07-2019 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Man I didn't proof read that one lol
Old 08-07-2019, 05:40 PM   #14

Jim,
Have you looked at those links?
One of 'em is bad, but several describe your post.
Codes?
Even with codes throwing parts at symptoms is...
bg
Old 08-07-2019, 06:04 PM   #15

Jim,

I have 320k miles on my 03 Tundra and have never had any 02 sensor or cat codes. Maybe just luck.
bg
BigJim likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement