Mold For Fungus? - Safety - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Windows on Wash
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 10-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Mold for Fungus?


Hi,
I wanted to know if this is mold or fungus related in the attached photo. You might need to increase the brightness on your screen. It is on couple of wooden support beams. This is in my crawlspace. The crawlspace has concrete floor.
I tried to scrape it off the wood joist but it didn't flake off. It was not powdery like regular mold and didn't get on my hand. Any thoughts?

How should I remedy this?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Mold for Fungus?-img_8586.jpg  
michaeldrehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 21,421
Rewards Points: 6,542
Blog Entries: 40
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?







Mold = Fungus


Treatment would be the same.
siffleur likes this.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #3
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,784
Rewards Points: 1,226
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


What colour is it?
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-11-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


it's whitish.
michaeldrehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,784
Rewards Points: 1,226
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


sometime we use the same wood for forms, are you sure it is not concrete.
__________________
Do not use flat bottom gables with scissor trusses.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Exterior Construction
 
Windows on Wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Washington DC Metro Area (VA, MD, DC)
Posts: 21,421
Rewards Points: 6,542
Blog Entries: 40
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


Looks like white mold. Get some microbial spray or some vinegar.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 8,445
Rewards Points: 7,010
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


Need some more details.
Where are you?
Have you measured the RH, humidity down there?
Do you run a dehumidifier?

Cleaning it up is one step, eliminating any conditions that make it grow is the more important one. Having concrete down there is good but moisture vapors pass right through it, by the gallons.

Bud

I cranked up contrast and brightness ans still not sure what you are looking at.
__________________
I volunteer my help and opinions, but you are responsible for what YOU choose to do with that information.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 09:45 AM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 18
Rewards Points: 34
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


yeah, i know it's not concrete because it didn't flake off the wood I tried to. I sprayed concrobium about 8 months ago on the whitish parts. It is still white on the wood.
Was it supposed to have gone away.

I am in northern NJ. I do have dehumidifier running in the basement. The RH in summer gets to 80% without the dehumidifier running. However, this is in a crawlspace and it has a narrow opening from the basement.
michaeldrehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Maine
Posts: 8,445
Rewards Points: 7,010
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


My experience with the Concrobium is it may kill the mold spores but does little to erase the appearance. Treating mold on my shower walls left them looking ugly. I went back to a bleach solution and all was gone. I assume it killed the mold but certainly left the walls looking great. It does have to set for awhile. I now have a great bath fan and mold and moisture issues are no longer a problem.

Being in NJ (I escaped) you will have high summer humidity thus the dehumidifier will need to be a permanent fixture. How much it runs will be determined by how successful you are at sealing out all incoming moisture, mostly moisture vapor. Normally an encapsulated crawlspace would do the job but your space looks complicated. I would need more pictures from down there to provide more details.

Note, humidity is inversely proportional to temp, so a cool crawlspace will hit the condensation level much quicker. Also, the performance of your dehumidifier will decrease as it gets cooler. Where does that dehumidifier drain to?

Bud
__________________
I volunteer my help and opinions, but you are responsible for what YOU choose to do with that information.
Bud9051 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:04 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 606
Rewards Points: 100
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


You're trying to dehumidify a crawl space? Good luck with that.
To be even relatively successful you need to have something on the floor (dirt?) that _maintains_ a seal keeping moisture from coming in from the environment.
ChuckTin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:36 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 388
Rewards Points: 772
Default

Re: Mold for Fungus?


The dry rot has grown into the wood. The fungus needs a wood moisture level of more than 20% to grow which is an indication of how wet the wood is in this location.Best to cut out enough wood to remove all the spores. You may be able to add wood sister sections to reinforce where wood has been removed. Surface treatment with any chemical is a waste of time.

One treatment that has been used for many years in Europe is to heat the space and the wood to 104 degrees for a period of a few hours as this kills the spores.

Problem in part is that there is not enough air movement in that area and so moisture accumulates and is absorbed by the wood.. Add more vents and consider adding a fan if need be to keep this area drier.

I often see new porches and ground level decks that have siding that prevents any airflow under the wood and the owners are not going to get the life that they should from them.

A borate solution can be sprayed on top of wood or wood can be soaked in it and this the most effective treatment to protect against dry rot and it is non-toxic.
Calson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts