Fire Extinguisher On Grease - Safety - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Equipment & Safety > Safety

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 92

Fire Extinguisher on Grease

I have heard conflicting things about fire extinguishers. Some people have told me a kitchen grease fire is a class B fire and some people have said it's a class K fire.

We have both a class A water fire extinguisher and a BC carbon dioxide in our pantry, garage, and basement (because that's what my dad always had). I always figured I'd use the carbon dioxide one if we ever had a grease fire.

Would that work or would it spread the fire?
Thisiseasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,842

Re: Fire Extinguisher on Grease

In my kitchen I have an abc chemical multipurpose type extinguisher. Extinguishers labeled class b or class k are suitable for a grease fire.

However, back to your question will a co2 extinguisher put out a grease fire? I don't really know. Never actually tried it. If you do a google search, I'm sure you could find a video proving or disproving this.

In theory, my thought would be a co2 extinguisher could possibly spread the fire more. In the kitchen, I would use a multi purpose extinguisher labeled abc or bc. Just my thoughts.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 952

look at the ratings. B is a grease/liquid fuel fire. K is specifically for kitchens. just so long as you're not using an "A" loaded stream/water extinguisher you'll probably be OK. or try turning off the heat and covering it.

combination ratings are additive, so ABC is good for A, B, and C fires. keep a couple of those around and check to make sure they have pressure, and try good practices in the kitchen to avoid the fire in the first place.
u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2019, 06:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 485

The proper way to use a powder type or carbon dioxide extinguisher is to start about 8 to 9 feet away from the fire and spray above the flames so that the powder or carbon dioxide falls down into the flames. Use a short burst for effect, then move in or away as needed.
This will insure that the force of the spray will not spread a liquid fire.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 485

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan393 View Post
The proper way to use a powder type or carbon dioxide extinguisher is to start about 8 to 9 feet away from the fire and spray above the flames so that the powder or carbon dioxide falls down into the flames. Use a short burst for effect, then move in or away as needed.
This will insure that the force of the spray will not spread a liquid fire.

The idea is to coat the liquid fire with powder to deprive it of oxygen so that it cannot ignite.
But with a carbon dioxide extinguisher, there's the possibility of the liquid re-igniting after extinguishment. So try not to use all of it on the first attempt.
In both case's, standby and wait for the liquid to cool down. Then you can clean up.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Contractor/Engineer

Rewards Points: 1,036

Stop at your local fire department - you'll find a bunch of people that actually want to meet and help the folks they are hired to protect and save.

Believe me - they'll have the answers.

Be a good person and bring some doughnuts as well as you questions. I'm betting they'd probably be glad to come to the house and tell you the best places to put an extinguisher and the type and volume they'd recommend.

Here's hoping we all NEVER have to use out extinguishers.

Kudos for you searching for the correct answer to protect yourself, the ones you love and your stuff.

Ask a professional.
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:35 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 800

you can use Class A, B and K on grease fires. Class A & B chemicals are powder based and make a horrible mess. But fire makes a horrible mess and can cause serious injuries and even death. Class K was developed by Amerex. Amerex sold Class K fx to Ansul, Badger and Buckeye. Ansul and Badger made changes in the fx, and now sell the K under there own names. Buckeye changed the hose, but buy the rest of the extinguisher from Amerex. The smaller Class K fx weighs 22.5 #, the larger weighs 33.5#. But, the K puts out a larger fire, and being a liqued, is cleaner. It also costs more than the dry chem.

A 5 # ABC and 5 # BC control about the same size of flammable liqued fire. They can also spread the fire, unless you stay about 6' to 10' away from the fire.

Class C is used on energized electrical circuits. Class C is clean, but does not discharge very fair. Class C is CO2. It can cause cold burns, and has a limited distance.

There are other clean agents, such has Halon, FE36, Halotron. They are expensive, but leave no residue, so clean-up time and labor is minimal.
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 92

I asked my local fire department and they said that a grease fire can be safely extinguished with a class B or K extinguisher however a tight fitting lid is much better if available.
Thisiseasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement