Your Favorite Oil Semi Gloss? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 1 Post By mark sr
  • 2 Post By woodco

Old 05-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,508

Your favorite oil semi gloss?

People,

Restoring a historic home, tons of woodwork. Best interior semi gloss oil paint?

It will be pure white, and I know it will yellow especially in darker rooms. But I hate latex finish and even how it is applied. Awful stuff. Spreading rubber on wood, to me.

I heard Behr alkyd and B Moore Regal (overpriced??)is good stuff.

Comments appreciated.
papereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,362

Re: Your favorite oil semi gloss?

Neither Behr Alkyd or Regal are oil based.

PPG probably has something good. Maybe Velour... Never tried it, as I stay away from oil, though.

Theres also oil base Pro-Classic. Cant go wrong there.

Last edited by woodco; 05-14-2019 at 08:00 AM.
woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodco View Post
Neither Behr Alkyd or Regal are oil based.

PPG probably has something good. Maybe Velour... Never tried it, as I stay away from oil, though.

Theres also oil base Pro-Classic. Cant go wrong there.
Hmm, without getting into organic chemistry, which I will gladly do if necessary, how do you define oil based? Alkyd is oil based for all intents/purposes. If an alkyd is not oil based what base is it?

Also, maybe I got the B Moore grade mistaken as Regal, whatever they carry will do. I must have confused the water based regal s gloss .

I will look into Pro Classic, if I can get it in my area. Thanks woodco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 2,126

Of all the oil base enamels that SWP sells, ProClassic is the interior oil base enamel that takes the longest to yellow. I pretty much quit using interior oil base enamel 20 yrs ago.
papereater likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
papereater (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark sr View Post
Of all the oil base enamels that SWP sells, ProClassic is the interior oil base enamel that takes the longest to yellow. I pretty much quit using interior oil base enamel 20 yrs ago.
Now thats good to know! Thanks, mark!
Old 05-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,210

Advance or Cabinetcoat
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
papereater (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
Hmm, without getting into organic chemistry, which I will gladly do if necessary, how do you define oil based? Alkyd is oil based for all intents/purposes. If an alkyd is not oil based what base is it?

Also, maybe I got the B Moore grade mistaken as Regal, whatever they carry will do. I must have confused the water based regal s gloss .

alkyd refers to the resin (opposed to acrylic for example), there are soya, linseed, synthetic alkyds. The carrying vehicle can be water or an oil.

Advance for example is a waterborne alkyd. Many traits of traditional oil paints but soap and water cleanup. one of the best trim paints you can use.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post

Oil based is if the paint resin is in an oil, and you use mineral spirits to clean your tools.

Alkyd is a paint resin, which used to be available only in an oil base, but nowadays they have hybrids, which have alkyd resin, with water to thin and clean. They dont look quite as good as a real oil base, because they need to be applied very thin, and oil base, can be put on a little heavier. If you are a stickler on the "true" oil base look, hybrids dont quite get there, but they are very close. From more than a foot away, you cant tell the difference. If the surface is perfect, a hybrid will look as good as an oil.

Some hybrids (not technically all hybrids, but waterborne alkyds, nonetheless) include pro classic hybrid, advance, behr alkyd, etc. I wouldnt consider cabinet coat a hybrid. I think its in another category. Hell, Scuff-x looks damn close to an oil too.

If you want behr oil base, get the can that says Behr Oil Base. Its different. I've used Behr Alkyd, its actually a decent product, but its waterborne. YOu have to put it on really thin, and it doesnt like humidity at all. Personally, I hate oil base, so I get waterborne products that get close to the look.

A question for Coco: Is there a semi-gloss equivalent to satin impervo? Tahts the best oil out there, but its not semi gloss...

Last edited by woodco; 05-14-2019 at 05:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodco For This Useful Post:
papereater (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

Wow, good to know. But cant you clean a brush in alkyd with Min spirits?

So, youre saying, "oil base" is the more older/traditional stuff, and alkyd is not? I like paint that levels out beautifully (oil) AND covers well, not like rubberized latex that leaves streaks and does not cover worth of beans. . I used to get that decades ago when I painted professionally.......not sure these days what formulas theyre using.....

Sounds more like I need to chase down "oil base"

Thanks.

Last edited by papereater; 05-14-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodco View Post
Oil based is if the paint resin is in an oil, and you use mineral spirits to clean your tools.

Alkyd is a paint resin, which used to be available only in an oil base, but nowadays they have hybrids, which have alkyd resin, with water to thin and clean. They dont look quite as good as a real oil base, because they need to be applied very thin, and oil base, can be put on a little heavier. If you are a stickler on the "true" oil base look, hybrids dont quite get there, but they are very close. From more than a foot away, you cant tell the difference. If the surface is perfect, a hybrid will look as good as an oil.

Some hybrids (not technically all hybrids, but waterborne alkyds, nonetheless) include pro classic hybrid, advance, behr alkyd, etc. I wouldnt consider cabinet coat a hybrid. I think its in another category. Hell, Scuff-x looks damn close to an oil too.

If you want behr oil base, get the can that says Behr Oil Base. Its different. I've used Behr Alkyd, its actually a decent product, but its waterborne. YOu have to put it on really thin, and it doesnt like humidity at all. Personally, I hate oil base, so I get waterborne products that get close to the look.

A question for Coco: Is there a semi-gloss equivalent to satin impervo? Tahts the best oil out there, but its not semi gloss...

Used to be dualmel that was a good product.

Current semigloss oil enamels:
P24 D.T.M. ALKYD SEMI-GLOSS

Superspec ALKYD SEMI-GLOSS
Rustscat POLYURETHANE INT/EXT ENAMEL
(most durable)
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
papereater (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:37 AM   #11
retired painter

Quote:
So, youre saying, "oil base" is the more older/traditional stuff, and alkyd is not? I like paint that levels out beautifully (oil) AND covers well, not like rubberized latex that leaves streaks and does not cover worth of beans

You are describing the cheaper latex enamels. The quality latex enamels have come a long ways over the last 20-30 yrs. Some alkyds are oil base but some are waterborne. What Woodco said,
Quote:
Alkyd is a paint resin, which used to be available only in an oil base, but nowadays they have hybrids, which have alkyd resin, with water to thin and clean. They dont look quite as good as a real oil base, because they need to be applied very thin, and oil base, can be put on a little heavier. If you are a stickler on the "true" oil base look, hybrids dont quite get there, but they are very close.
papereater likes this.
papereater (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #12

Thanks, Mark for clarifying. If you say real oil base looks better, thats all I need to know.

I hope I didnt nudge you to admit that. Yes, I am kind of a stickler of the oil look. Isnt anybody else?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
retired painter

Real oil base enamel looks better until whites or light colors start to yellow. I switched to waterborne enamel a long time ago and never looked back.
papereater (05-18-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:22 PM   #14

Real oil looks a little better, until it ages. I also hate the way oil cracks over time cuz its so brittle.

You'd be amazed at how far waterborne paints have come though. Some waterbornes look damn close. Also, they dont make oil as good as they used to either... Its had its VOC's lowered, so it doesnt perform the same.
papereater and mark sr like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to woodco For This Useful Post:
papereater (05-18-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #15

good to know. thanks. I learned a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement