Staining Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts

Old 06-30-2020, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 80

Staining deck

My 20+ year old deck is in need of staining/painting. Won't be long before I have to rebuild it (2-3 years). In the meantime, I am ready to use a solid color stain on it. At my age (73) I want to do it the easiest way possible yet still get a good job out of it. I have seen several articles/videos that say you can ROLL on the stain, but they also then say it needs to be "back-brushed". I would much rather roll it on than sit/squat down to use a brush. But my question is, if you have to brush the stain on anyway, what is the point of using a roller? Seems like twice the effort to me.
dennislanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 64

Re: Staining deck

Did the exact same on an old deck a couple years ago and rolled it all except for some very deep cracks that I had to go over with a brush...not many though. Used a long pile roller... Maybe 15mm?

Of course I bought an HVLP sprayed for another project a few months later and then was kicking myself for not having this for the deck project (I had a lot of lattice and railings to do...a big pain). But then again I haven't actually tried that so maybe it would have been more trouble than it's worth.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Boogityman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,370

hands down the easiest way:
CodeMatters likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2020, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
hands down the easiest way:
Video is very impressive. Definitely interested. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 26

That deck boss brush looks interesting. I usually use a stain pad that attaches to an extension pole. Apply the stain with a pump sprayer ($5) with the nozzle tip removed and spread with the pad.
Won't get in the gaps as good as the brush, but works well. Pick your price point and have fun
Old 06-30-2020, 10:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,370

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
That deck boss brush looks interesting. I usually use a stain pad that attaches to an extension pole. Apply the stain with a pump sprayer ($5) with the nozzle tip removed and spread with the pad.
Won't get in the gaps as good as the brush, but works well. Pick your price point and have fun

I never liked using pads, they don't hold enough material to work fast and they get chewed up on older boards.
mark sr likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTMAN View Post
In my case I will be using solid color stain which is about as thick as regular paint. Donít think I could use a sprayer very well even with the tip removed. That brush is looking better and better.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 214

The main reason for back brushing rolled on deck stain is looks. The roller will leave a slight stipple and there will likely be a texture difference between the rolled part and the cut in. Rolled only should last just as long.

An airless will spray solid deck stain just fine but sprayed on stain needs to be back rolled/brushed to work it into the wood so it doesn't just lay on top. You'd also need to be mindful of where the overspray might go.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement