Question: Cedar Shake Stain - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By XC Painter

Old 10-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Question: Cedar Shake Stain

Hello. I am a new homeowner and am seeking some advice for prolonging the life of the cedar shake on the side of my house. I have heard conflicting opinions on oil based stain and am hoping someone on here can help guide me.

Most of our house is shielded and has maintained it's beautiful red/brown stain and the planks are still very much in good shape. However, the South facing side of our house has faded and is dried out from direct sun and less protection from rain. Most of the planks are still good, but some have curled and are ready to be replaced.

For those that don't require being replaced, I was planning on washing the wall with some cleaner I had purchased. It connects to our hose and is designed to wash the dirt and mold in prep for staining.

My question is whether or not staining the faded planks with oil base will prolong the life. I want to avoid latex based stain that goes on like paint.

My goal is to keep the wood grain look and avoid any type of painting. Could someone tell me whether restaining oil based stain will do me any good, or is just something that will help cosmetically?

Last edited by bbor62; 10-03-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Adding photos
bbor62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Re: Question: Cedar Shake Stain

Last edited by bbor62; 10-03-2017 at 09:52 PM. Reason: photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 198

Hi there, oil stain will definately prolong and beautify your siding. But it will not do much at all if you don't use a restorative product and wood brightener, and presurre wash out all that mildew and dead wood cells. Cleaner alone will not give great results, and the hose rinse won't be effective.
I do mean very carefully pressure wash in a vertical pattern, not side to side. You can go side to side if the pressure washer wand is held back away far enough.

I recommend to apply Benjamin Moore's "Restore" and a medium power wash
on all, then apply their "Brighten" and lightly power wash and rinse that down. Rinse down with low pressure (garden hose spray nozzle) rinse to get the "pulp-like" stuff off. You may not see it all when everything is wet, but after it all dries you'll see wood pulp everywhere.

Rinse plants, decks, windows before and after using these products.

The Restore will remove dead, grayed (decayed) wood cells, remove the black mildew, and bring color back to the shakes. The Brighten will neutralize the first product and further brighten up the color of your cedar.
The shakes are now ready to dry out for a few days, maybe even 5, and be stained and back brushed (6" stain brush).

Your house will look amazing.

Last edited by XC Painter; 10-04-2017 at 12:04 AM.
XC Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 04:47 AM   #4
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,934

My go to deck/siding product is regular household bleach. I generally cut it in half with water [check label as some of the cheaper new bleach is already cut] wet the siding with water and then apply it with a pump up garden sprayer, let set but not dry and then rinse with a pressure washer [garden hose will also work]

It's best to do a lot of the work from a ladder! Spraying water upward from the ground runs the risk of forcing water behind the shingles.

Once clean and dry either an oil base or waterborne [not latex] will do a good job of protecting your siding.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 198

Do these people even check back in to see responses or what?
mark sr likes this.
XC Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Painter View Post
Do these people even check back in to see responses or what?
Sorry guys, I had some password problems. Thanks for the info and I will put it to good use this spring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cedar shakes , refinish , siding , stain