Painting Stained Wood And Enamel Doors. - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By FrodoOne

Old 09-30-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 616

Painting stained wood and enamel doors.

Back in Australia putting the parents house on the market (glutton for punishment). 2 Questions and I am not sure I am getting the best answers here.

1 The trim is a dark wood stained trim that I want to paint white. It has years of dings etc that I want to fill and a scratch marks from the cat from hell.....who may just get "lost" on the way to the new house.

2 The doors are rock hard enamel paint that I swear is bullet proof but is over 20 years old and has yellowed.

I am being told to BIN shellac both and then off to the races. Will the BIN shellac be acceptable for both applications?

I have never used enamel so I was going to go over the BIN with latex. Also acceptable?

I can get Zinser here (not sure if the formula is different or not) Had hubby send a pic of the one from home and it looks exactly like the one here. Have used it before so no issues there.

Totally out of my element here but you have all pointed me in the right directions before.

Thanks

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 618

Re: Painting stained wood and enamel doors.

Yes on all accounts. The BIN is perfect for old, stained wood and old, hard (likely oil-based) paint. BIN is a great stain blocker and bonding primer. It sticks to glass! The smell can be tough to deal with so have plenty of ventilation. Topcoat with your favorite latex paint and "call it done."
chrisn and forcedreno2012 like this.
forcedreno2012 (10-01-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Thanks Gym....now if only they had pro-classic over here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2016, 06:23 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Thanks Gym....now if only they had pro-classic over here
I note that "ProClassic®" is a name that is given to a range of paints made in the USA by sherwin-williams.
This could be either an "Interior Waterbased Acrylic-Alkyd Enamel" or a "Waterborne Interior Acrylic Latex", but I assume that you are seeking the "Enamel".

"Over here" sherwin-williams also sells a range of paints, but not under that name.
Here they sell paints under the Trade Names of "Cashmere®" (both Gloss Interior/Exterior Paint & Primer - and - Interior Paint & Primer) and "SuperPaint®" (Interior Acrylic Latex Paint)
See http://www.sherwin-williams.com.au/paint-products

If you investigate, you may find that one of these may be the same paint that you require, as sold the USA, but sold here under a different Trade Name.

Here Taubmans sells an ALKYD BASED - "ULTIMATE" ENAMEL (http://www.taubmans.com.au/paints/ultimate-alkyd-enamel) which also may be similar to that which you require.
Gymschu likes this.

Last edited by FrodoOne; 10-01-2016 at 06:41 AM.
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrodoOne For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (10-01-2016)
Old 10-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Frodo...was hoping someone over here would chime in.

Yes they have cashmere and super paint from Sherwin at Masters but they are closing down so have a very limited selection left. I am in Adelaide right now.

Pro Classic is an animal all to itself. Lays down nice and is like glass when done right. Excellent trim and door paint. Here is a link if you want to have a look. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...acrylic-latex/

You mentioned Taubmans. Bunnings was pointing me towards Dulux? They said for trim use their semi gloss wash and wear with the barrier technology. Supposedly lays down nice and gives a good finish. I have no preference from one over the other.

Full disclosure I have NO experience with enamel so looking for some type of non oil to use. Short on time so don't want to screw things up using something that needs a learning curve.

Thanks

Robyn
Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,058

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Yes they have cashmere and super paint from Sherwin at Masters but they are closing down so have a very limited selection left. I am in Adelaide right now.

Pro Classic is an animal all to itself. Lays down nice and is like glass when done right. Excellent trim and door paint. Here is a link if you want to have a look. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/home...acrylic-latex/

You mentioned Taubmans. Bunnings was pointing me towards Dulux? They said for trim use their semi gloss wash and wear with the barrier technology. Supposedly lays down nice and gives a good finish. I have no preference from one over the other.

Full disclosure I have NO experience with enamel so looking for some type of non oil to use. Short on time so don't want to screw things up using something that needs a learning curve.
I have used Dulux Aquanamal with no problems BUT only a few brush loads to "retouch" an architrave on which a bad paint job had been done previously. Anything would have been better than what was there, so I cannot really comment on how good it is for a whole house.
(This was a small job at the apartment of a friend, before they moved out!)

However, this site does not (in general) give it a good "rap"! http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1748248
(Note that forums.whirlpool.net.au has nothing to do with the "Whirlpool" white-goods company but is a "discussion forum")

One poster on this thread wrote "the Taubmans site recommends rinsing your brush in water often when using their water-based enamel paint. I will have 3 or 4 brushes & swap them out every metre or so, with a proper wash & dry at each corner."
Also, advice elsewhere on this thread is to use reasonable quality brushes and, if painting a large area of a door, use a roller.

Another site where I found a comment on the Taubmans product was http://www.renovateforum.com/f207/ta...enamel-117089/
FrodoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement