Painting New Blue-board W/veneer Plaster & Slanted Ceiling Questions - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 4 Post By Gymschu
  • 1 Post By gratefulgardenr
  • 1 Post By ClarenceBauer
  • 1 Post By chrisn

Old 09-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Painting new blue-board w/veneer plaster & slanted ceiling questions

Hi friends

We're painting over cured veneer plaster and have been getting a lot of conflicting advice. The plasterer says just use any paint w/primer in one and it'll be fine as long as we wait 2 weeks for the plaster to cure. The paint store says you MUST use an acrylic, alkaline resistant primer first. We're fine with primer first, but interested in getting some more advice. We're also not sure of paint brand and type. We're looking at Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore primarily. Are there any particular brands and types you recommend?

Also, this is a small apartment with slanted ceilings that have skylights. The plaster is flat on the walls but swirled on the slants and ceilings. We'd like to paint one color for the walls and ceilings, but I'm not sure how to manage the finishes. Most contractors and DIYers I've read recommend flat paint for ceilings and a matte or eggshell for walls. But do I paint the slanted parts with the wall or ceiling sheen? Or since it's small and all one color, do I just paint one sheen everywhere?

Thanks for your advice!
gratefulgardenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,536

Re: Painting new blue-board w/veneer plaster & slanted ceiling questions

Quote:
The plasterer says just use any paint w/primer in one
That would be the last question I'd ever ask him about painting....

You went to an actual paint store for advice - good for you. I would follow their advice on the primer. Personally, I like satin type finishes, which is typically a little more sheen than eggshell but eggshell is perfectly fine for walls. As to the slanted portion, if you plan to make them the same color as the walls, I would match the sheen. If white, then I would use a flat paint like a ceiling. Another color than the walls but not white and I'd want more details like the actual colors and maybe some pictures of the space.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 386

Painting of Veneer Plaster as per U.S.G. page # 230 of the hand book states Make sure plaster is dry plaster may be dry in as little as 24 hours.
Use a high - quality, undiluted acrylic latex, vinyl or alkali - resistant alkyd paint. For epoxy - based finish system , the veneer plaster must be properly sealed. Quick - drying vinyl acrylic latex or alkali - resistant alkyd primer - sealer are recommended. Polyvinyl acetate PVA based primers should not be used. Note I have been plastering for over 40 years and the USG plaster will be dry after the 24 hour period when applied over the USG Blue Board
( Imperiod Plaster Board )
Gymschu and SeniorSitizen like this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClarenceBauer For This Useful Post:
gratefulgardenr (09-22-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 336

@ClarenceBauer , I'm always glad you're on board to answer these plaster related questions!
Old 09-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
That would be the last question I'd ever ask him about painting....

You went to an actual paint store for advice - good for you. I would follow their advice on the primer. Personally, I like satin type finishes, which is typically a little more sheen than eggshell but eggshell is perfectly fine for walls. As to the slanted portion, if you plan to make them the same color as the walls, I would match the sheen. If white, then I would use a flat paint like a ceiling. Another color than the walls but not white and I'd want more details like the actual colors and maybe some pictures of the space.
Thank you! Here are some photos. I am looking at Sherwin Williams colors: sage, softened green, koi pond, and colonial revival green. I decided to paint the same color walls and ceilings after reading a post about slanted ceilings on the decorologist dot com. I'd love to hear what you think! Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Painting new blue-board w/veneer plaster & slanted ceiling questions-img_6207.jpg   Painting new blue-board w/veneer plaster & slanted ceiling questions-img_6208.jpg   Painting new blue-board w/veneer plaster & slanted ceiling questions-img_6212.jpg   Painting new blue-board w/veneer plaster & slanted ceiling questions-img_6214.jpg  
Old 09-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBauer View Post
Painting of Veneer Plaster as per U.S.G. page # 230 of the hand book states Make sure plaster is dry plaster may be dry in as little as 24 hours.
Use a high - quality, undiluted acrylic latex, vinyl or alkali - resistant alkyd paint. For epoxy - based finish system , the veneer plaster must be properly sealed. Quick - drying vinyl acrylic latex or alkali - resistant alkyd primer - sealer are recommended. Polyvinyl acetate PVA based primers should not be used. Note I have been plastering for over 40 years and the USG plaster will be dry after the 24 hour period when applied over the USG Blue Board
( Imperiod Plaster Board )
Thank you, Clarence! I'll use the acrylic primer from Sherwin Williams: Loxon blue label. There was also a Benjamin Moore recommended: UltraSpec Masonry (100% acrylic). Any opinions about those? And once it's primed, any type of quality paint over it, right? Nothing special? Thanks again!
Old 09-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 336

Count me as one of those that absolutely dislikes when the ceilings and walls are painted the same color. To me it makes a room look "boxy" and can be so dark that it is cave-like. I would paint anything that is textured the ceiling color and the smooth, flat walls the color you pick out. You don't necessarily have to have bright white on the ceiling. It could actually be the lightest color of green on the color swatch where you choose the wall color. Just my two cents.
chrisn (09-23-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 06:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Count me as one of those that absolutely dislikes when the ceilings and walls are painted the same color. To me it makes a room look "boxy" and can be so dark that it is cave-like. I would paint anything that is textured the ceiling color and the smooth, flat walls the color you pick out. You don't necessarily have to have bright white on the ceiling. It could actually be the lightest color of green on the color swatch where you choose the wall color. Just my two cents.
Thanks! I know what you mean about the cave. But we have rooms in our house that we painted the ceilings white and the walls (including the slant) the wall color, and at least that doesn't make us feel like the ceiling is coming down on us. Really, with the slants the wall color, it makes the room feel higher. But still, with all the angles, the room is choppy looking. I don't know if you went to that decorologist dot com (I can't post the link), but if not, type that in and search slanted ceilings. The photos on that page made me want to paint the ceilings the wall color. Let me know what you think. Thanks again!
Gymschu likes this.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulgardenr View Post
Thank you, Clarence! I'll use the acrylic primer from Sherwin Williams: Loxon blue label. There was also a Benjamin Moore recommended: UltraSpec Masonry (100% acrylic). Any opinions about those? And once it's primed, any type of quality paint over it, right? Nothing special? Thanks again!
I don't do painting only trade I am in is plaster / Stucco
gratefulgardenr likes this.
ClarenceBauer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ClarenceBauer For This Useful Post:
gratefulgardenr (09-22-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #10
retired painter

Rewards Points: 224

I also prefer white ceilings. With that texture I wouldn't be afraid of satin/eggshell on both the walls and ceilings. Unlike a slick finish ceiling any discrepancies in the finish will for the most part be hid by the texture.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Thanks for saving me the time to type the same thing!
Gymschu likes this.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
paint brands , plaster veneer , primer necessary , sheen , slanted ceiling