Paint Coming Off My Trim Easily? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree21Likes

Old 11-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Paint coming off my trim easily?

Hello everyone,
I'm in a bad situation here, and I need advice. I recently got the whole interior of my home painted about 3-4 months ago. About a month ago there was something on the trimming of my door, I went to get it off and the paint peeled off easily. I thought to myself "why is the paint coming off so easily?" So I decided to go ahead a see if it scratches off, well.... it scratches off SO easily. You can see the old paint color underneath. I decided to check other parts of the house trimming, and it's almost everywhere. The painter also did not wipe off baseboards before painting, and it isn't a smooth surface now. I had the painter come over to check it out and he said "Well if you goaround scratching, of course it will come off." Ummm no! It should not come off this easily, it's supposed to be scrubbable and durable. He used Dunn Edward's spartawall. He said he will sand and paint my bathroom to fix, but didnt not offer to fix all the baseboards and trimming anywhere else. I feel like the whole house should be redone correctly!
So my question is, is it even worth him coming back? He obviously is ignoring the real issue here which is he must have not prepped correctly. My husband and I are pretty upset about this as this is our first home and we already paid him.
Would replacing all the trimming and baseboards be cheaper than fixing this mess?
I will attach a few photos but it's like this around the whole house. Only some areas look decent.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
dyp7312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,562

Re: Paint coming off my trim easily?

Correct though its not exactly a high end paint it should not come off easily with fingernail after 2+ weeks cure.

Most likely surface contamination or poor surface prep. Either way painter should be responsible to fix it.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 804

It's sounds like latex was applied over an oil base enamel without a primer to facilitate bonding. I'd use 80 grit sandpaper to aggressively sand what you have. Hopefully it will remove what paint didn't bond well and allow you to recoat.
woodco and Fman like this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,118

How old is this home?
Reason I'm asking is if it's really old that may be lead based paint under what he applied.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
retired painter

Lead paint shouldn't be in any house built after the late 70s but even if the house is older than that the odds are it's been repainted with lead free oil base paint several times. No way to know for sure without testing!
Old 11-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

My home was built in 2017.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
retired painter

Not many homes built today have oil base enamel on the woodwork but it sounds like yours does. Absolutely no lead concerns.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:04 PM   #8

The painter told me "I didnt prime because the paint was not oil based, they don't use oil based in new homes." I think that since we don't know that actual paint used, probably should have primed to make sure lol. I am disappointed in how the painter is reacting to this. He says he will sand and repaint my bathroom but it's all the trimming, and doors in the house.

My husband and I are now talking about getting new trimming in a few years because of this. It sucks because paint should last for a long time, and this definitely will not.

Last edited by dyp7312; 11-04-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyp7312 View Post
The painter told me "I didnt prime because the paint was not oil based, they don't use oil based in new homes." I think that since we don't know that actual paint used, probably should have primed to make sure lol. I am disappointed in how the painter is reacting to this. He says he will sand and repaint my bathroom but it's all the trimming, and doors in the house.

My husband and I are now talking about getting new trimming in a few years because of this. It sucks because paint should last for a long time, and this definitely will not.

Naw his responsibility to ensure product has proper adhesion. If he wasn't sure he should have used a product that will stick to oil/lacquers with minimal prep like cabinet coat or waterborne alkyd like BM advance.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 11-04-2019 at 10:13 PM.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,968

Here in Austin, even cheapo houses get oil on trim often for some reason.

If your house was built two years ago, it should have a touch up kit with the original paint, and the painter should have asked for it.
woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
retired painter

It's easy to test the existing paint to determine if it's oil or latex. That said, it's his responsibility to make sure his paint will adhere to the existing. I goofed one time and assumed that a small deck was painted with latex. My latex didn't adhere long term and the homeowner complained. I didn't like it but I went back and stripped the deck and repainted it on my dime. One dissatisfied customer has more effect on your reputation than a dozen satisfied customers.
MTN REMODEL LLC and dyp7312 like this.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #12

Okay I tested the old paint and it does come off very easily with nail polish remover. So I'm assuming maybe the paint peeling off easily because it wasnt cleaned? Or maybe its humidity? What could be another reason? Thanks

Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #13

It just doesnt make sense why it's coming off on the trimming my kids rooms though. If it is oil based anyway.

Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyp7312 View Post
It just doesnt make sense why it's coming off on the trimming my kids rooms though. If it is oil based anyway.

Oops I mean if it is latex not oil based.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #15
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 240

OH Boy.... I'm with CoCOMONKEY above....lousy prep, his responsibility.

But that said, sounds like he is not going to accept responsibility.

Sanding and repainting trim is a laborious job, and it will mitigate your adhesion proplem, but you will still have an underlying poor adhesion coat and less than a smooth coat where peeling has occured.

However, unless you want different trim like maybe taller base etc, replacing it will be a hugh costly PIA.

Not being personal, but my decision would be based on the "quality" of your home/neighborhood, and your budget financial situation.

From a financial standpoint, I'm a proponent of building/remodeling consistent with your neighborhood.

If you are highend, I would consider replacement. If a production type home, I guess I would repaint and live with it.

Of course, your wife's opinion may overide everything.

Good luck
Advertisement