Options For Garage Floor Resurface - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ca443

Old 02-13-2019, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Options for garage floor resurface

Hi

My garage floor is concrete and it was painted maybe 20 years ago (donít exactly know).
Today half of the floor has concrete exposed and other portion is still covered with paint. I notice that the peeling started in the area where the car tires roll in and out of the garage. Then the peeling just worked its way outward from the tires.

So now the problem is it looks bad and itís extreme hard to sweep the dirt and grime out.

This spring I am considering recoating the garage floor. What options do I have for a durable finish? I am in NJ - so it gets cold in winter and can get hot in summer. Both cars get parked in the garage.

Is there anything specific I should use or look for that is better for the climate the Iím in?

Also I keep reading that most paint and even epoxy coatings suffer the peeling under the tires. Most of these are blame on poor surface prep. I will rent a concrete grinder if I need to. Would the concrete grinder remove the existing paint as well?

How is Rust Bullet for Concrete as an alternative? They say it requires a lot less prep than epoxy. Any thoughts on Rust Bullet?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 007noob; 02-13-2019 at 09:41 AM.
007noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,322

Re: Options for garage floor resurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007noob View Post
Hi

My garage floor is concrete and it was painted maybe 20 years ago (donít exactly know).
Today half of the floor has concrete exposed and other portion is still covered with paint. I notice that the peeling started in the area where the car tires roll in and out of the garage. Then the peeling just worked its way outward from the tires.

So now the problem is it looks bad and itís extreme hard to sweep the dirt and grime out.

This spring I am considering recoating the garage floor. What options do I have for a durable finish? I am in NJ - so it gets cold in winter and can get hot in summer. Both cars get parked in the garage.

Is there anything specific I should use or look for that is better for the climate the Iím in?

Also I keep reading that most paint and even epoxy coatings suffer the peeling under the tires. Most of these are blame on poor surface prep. I will rent a concrete grinder if I need to. Would the concrete grinder remove the existing paint as well?

How is Rust Bullet for Concrete as an alternative? They say it requires a lot less prep than epoxy. Any thoughts on Rust Bullet?

Thanks!

Rent a grinder for sure. Yes it will remove all the existing failed coating and profile the concrete. You will need to do a little bit by hand near the edges where the grinder cannot reach.

Since you are in NJ should have easy access to BenjaminMoore Corotech products.

Here is my system of choice:

Prime with Corotech V155
2 Coats V400 Polyamide epoxy Or V440 Waterborne Amine
Optional Topcoat V500 Aliphatic Urethane or V540 Waterborne Urethane.

Grinding to the correct concrete profile and priming with V155 will ensure these systems last for many years even for industrial traffic.
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,242

I would stick to the epoxies myself. The bigger issue will be the prep and profiling of the surface. You are best suited to rent a grinder with some mass behind it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 4,242

Ha...I was replying while cocomonkeynuts was posting.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 462

I would forget paint. For a residence where your not working on the cars in the garage just put down sheet flooring. They have rubber and vinyl and many other materials and lots of different patterns and colors and you can jut lay it right over the existing surface.
tmittelstaedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
I would forget paint. For a residence where your not working on the cars in the garage just put down sheet flooring. They have rubber and vinyl and many other materials and lots of different patterns and colors and you can jut lay it right over the existing surface.

Yeah I looked at this option as well. Iíve seen 12Ēx12Ē material that can be placed on top of the concrete. Not sure how it would hold up to temperature fluctuations or car tires but my concern is during install I would have to be extremely meticulous and make sure there are no gaps between tiles. Anyhow in cold weather each tile could shrink allowing moisture and water to penetrate between the tile and concrete - I would be back to square one and have spent way more $$$ than something that rolls on. Thatís my concern. They do look nice though.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,744

I have epoxy on mine as well, ~20 years, and it has the under-tire problem. If I had to do it over again I would get some of that heavy vinyl stair tread that comes in a roll, and roll out two lengths for where the tires go.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:56 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 132

It depends on how much work you want to do. Garage epoxy is great, but if you go that route you have to grind etc. The tiles may not work great.

You could always go with a roll material such as :

https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-Floor-R...RoCFJcQAvD_BwE

or

Ca443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,748

@Ca443 , that is pretty cool stuff! Have you used it yet? I'm always looking for better options for garage floors because I don't even trust the epoxies to hold up long term (more than 5 or 6 years).
Old 02-16-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Options for garage floor resurface

@Ca443 , that roll from Walmart actually looks nice. I just measured my garage. It more than +23í x +20í... that is length x width.
8 would be thinking the 8.5í x 24í would work the length and 3 of those would do the width. That 374$ x 3.

How well would dirt and sawdust sweep of the material?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2019, 06:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 132

I had a neighbor that had it. It is like rubberized plastic. It held up great and nothing can penetrate it. So water/snow will sit on it until it evaporates. I think he got his from Costco. It was more like these..they worked really well for the 5 years he lived next to me. https://www.amazon.com/G-Floor-mil-R...FSL&ref=plSrch
Gymschu likes this.
Ca443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement