Maintaining Painted Details On Dresser - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 109

Maintaining painted details on dresser

I want to paint this dresser. Obviously, I should not touch the melamine top. And it is in great condition. I would like to maintain the grooved and painted details, also. How would I go about taping those off? Without spending a week trying to use painters tape in each line.

How do I turn my photo right side up?
Attached Thumbnails
Maintaining painted details on dresser-5bff4860-8ec6-44f8-a41f-9dbd036254fd.jpg  
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 322

Re: Maintaining painted details on dresser

Assuming it will be painted with a brush, I'd brush up to the lines, keeping a rag wet/damp with the appropriate thinner handy along with a putty knife to help get the rag into the grooves when needed.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,560

Turning your pictures right side up requires rotating them in like paint or some other picture editor on your computer. Can't do it through the site here (though there might be an online service to do so, I personally wouldn't trust any of them.)

On the dresser, I think Mark Sr has the right idea with the rag to clean off stray paint as you go. I don't think taping would particularly work well, at least not reliably anyway, and once any "leakage" paint dries it'd be a bear to get off without marring the gold. On the other hand, depending on how steady a painter you are, it might be easier to spray the ivory then repaint the gold metallic paint.

(PS - I had that exact dresser when I was a kid, the entire set - it had a pink ruffled canopy bed that I thought was ridiculously girly. My step-brothers and I broke the canopy posts swinging around on them hahaha)

It's neigh impossible to find those dresser pulls anymore so you'll probably have to find new ones. Best match I could find here

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)

Last edited by Mystriss; 05-21-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 08:13 AM   #4

We have two beds that go with it. There was another dresser, (tall one) but I don’t know who ended up with it. For a set that must be 60 years old, it’s in great shape. All of my sisters-in-law used them.

I’m not going to match the drawer pulls. I found these

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...l?piid=5220643

And that is why I was wondering if it is possible to maintain that trim paint. The color I select will be dependent on that. Not sure how I would redo that trim and I think the dresser would look naked without it.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineLL View Post
We have two beds that go with it. There was another dresser, (tall one) but I donít know who ended up with it. For a set that must be 60 years old, itís in great shape. All of my sisters-in-law used them.

Iím not going to match the drawer pulls. I found these

https://www.wayfair.com/home-improve...l?piid=5220643

And that is why I was wondering if it is possible to maintain that trim paint. The color I select will be dependent on that. Not sure how I would redo that trim and I think the dresser would look naked without it.
Ah, a bit less flourish on the handles, my inner child approves nod nod

I think I agree that without the accent paint it'd look a bit strange (junky/crappy redo even) To repaint the trim you'd just use an artist brush - should be fairly easy to do because the grooves should act like a guide.

I think if I still had my old set (it'd be about 40 years old now) I'd probably gild it in silver leaf and update the handles to a more modern style. ~shrug~

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #6

What type of paint would I use for those grooves? It might be easier to do that than trying to not get paint in them.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineLL View Post
What type of paint would I use for those grooves? It might be easier to do that than trying to not get paint in them.
I'd use this stuff - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...887bdcd9d95b69 which I've used many times on my carousel horse painting.

That or I'd be lazy and try to do it with "leafing pens" - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GRSQ9I...=ATZ61JQHZC6XB (FYI - I have this specific pen tagged for repurchasing because the nib on it gets soft and you can use it more like a paint brush than a pen. If one wanted more of a writing implement nib I'd point to Sharpie.)

Last edited by Mystriss; 05-21-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:52 AM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 322

Most any paint will work, I'd prefer oil base because it will work better with an artist brush.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement