How To Handle Change Of Rooms And Paint Type (semi/matte/gloss) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 11:41 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gulf Coast MS
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 616
Default

How to handle change of rooms and paint type (semi/matte/gloss)


I have never come across this before and not sure how to handle it. When ever I have painted two rooms there has always been a definition between the two rooms, be it a vaulted area or cased opening etc, or they both got the same color.

I am getting ready to paint my kitchen that is now open to the dining room. This is all going to be one color. I know generally the kitchen gets semi gloss and you would usually do a satin or matte in the dining room. How do you handle it if it is essentially one honking room with the kitchen at one end and the dining room at the other.

Do it all in satin, all in semi?
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
I have never come across this before and not sure how to handle it. When ever I have painted two rooms there has always been a definition between the two rooms, be it a vaulted area or cased opening etc, or they both got the same color.

I am getting ready to paint my kitchen that is now open to the dining room. This is all going to be one color. I know generally the kitchen gets semi gloss and you would usually do a satin or matte in the dining room. How do you handle it if it is essentially one honking room with the kitchen at one end and the dining room at the other.

Do it all in satin, all in semi?
no need what so ever for semi gloss on the walls
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (07-16-2015), Gymschu (07-16-2015), klaatu (07-16-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Gulf Coast MS
Posts: 575
Rewards Points: 616
Default


Thanks Chris....now to choose a color o_0
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 973
Rewards Points: 1,944
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
no need what so ever for semi gloss on the walls
I'd say whatever you had budgeted per gallon for your paint, add another $10 per gallon and buy a little more premium brand in a satin. Usually the only reason semi-gloss is needed is because people use the cheapest brand they can find, and the semi-gloss is the only sheen that has any durability whatsoever. You could even go with an eggshell or even a matte in the premium brands and have more durability and scrubability than a cheap Semi-gloss.

And unless you buy during a 40% off sale don't buy from Sherwin Williams. They are way overpriced for the quality you are getting if you buy it at retail.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 5,606
Rewards Points: 6,236
Default


The reason for the semi is in the old days (oh god am I that old) is in the bathrooms and kitchens, the things sprayed in the bathrooms, and cooking grease in the kitchen where much easier to clean with the semi gloss, But now everyone has exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen so it's not so much a problem. And the newer paints are easier to clean.
__________________
Entering your general location can help with answering a lot of times
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-16-2015), forcedreno2012 (07-16-2015), Gymschu (07-16-2015), Sir MixAlot (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
I'd say whatever you had budgeted per gallon for your paint, add another $10 per gallon and buy a little more premium brand in a satin. Usually the only reason semi-gloss is needed is because people use the cheapest brand they can find, and the semi-gloss is the only sheen that has any durability whatsoever. You could even go with an eggshell or even a matte in the premium brands and have more durability and scrubability than a cheap Semi-gloss.

And unless you buy during a 40% off sale don't buy from Sherwin Williams. They are way overpriced for the quality you are getting if you buy it at retail.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 5,606
Rewards Points: 6,236
Default


Have you priced Benny Moore lately?
__________________
Entering your general location can help with answering a lot of times
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
klaatu (07-17-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 312
Rewards Points: 452
Default


I've seen it done where the semi gloss kitchen ends at the cabinets/countertops.
Taped off to a clean line.
then the other sheen starts at the other side of the line.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:37 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Have you priced Benny Moore lately?
no, but I would take Regal over anything from SW if I could
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
klaatu (07-17-2015), Sir MixAlot (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 07:50 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 973
Rewards Points: 1,944
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Have you priced Benny Moore lately?
Yup. But their pricing at retail is dependent on what the dealer decides to charge. Most of them expect to get top dollar.

Sherwin Williams retail pricing is a pretty big gouge and most painters know it. In all honesty most "super premium" retail prices are set dependent on what BM can get from their premiums. When Aura came out, and SW and PPG saw that they were actually able to sell at that retail price, the retail on Durations and Manor Hall Timeless went up to match. Ben Moore has a long history of stretching the boundaries of retail prices.

Last edited by klaatu; 07-17-2015 at 07:55 AM.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 5,606
Rewards Points: 6,236
Default


At retail they are priced pretty close with BM being a little higher on most. The lousy pricing comes when it's for contractors. For SW it's all over the place, volume being a big factor, but even for the big boys their method sucks. BM's big advantage is even being higher their pricing is consistent.
__________________
Entering your general location can help with answering a lot of times
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:00 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 8,299
Rewards Points: 2
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
Yup. But their pricing at retail is dependent on what the dealer decides to charge. Most of them expect to get top dollar.

Sherwin Williams retail pricing is a pretty big gouge and most painters know it. In all honesty most "super premium" retail prices are set dependent on what BM can get from their premiums. When Aura came out, and SW and PPG saw that they were actually able to sell at that retail price, the retail on Durations and Manor Hall Timeless went up to match. Ben Moore has a long history of stretching the boundaries of retail prices.
I get the Timeless a whole lot cheaper than Aura, like $20 cheaper
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:54 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 5,546
Rewards Points: 7,332
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Do it all in satin, all in semi?
You have a few choices, none of which are semi-gloss Semi-gloss is really just too shiny for my taste for anything but trim.

In the kitchen I prefer eggshell. In the dining room I prefer matte. So you'd have to compromise. Get a bit more sheen in the dining room, but keep the scrubbable kitchen. Or give up a bit of scrubbability in the kitchen, and get a nicer sheen in the dining room. But lots of people are liking eggshell just abut everywhere these days.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 973
Rewards Points: 1,944
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I get the Timeless a whole lot cheaper than Aura, like $20 cheaper
And you should!
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting rooms / Paint questions mrrhtuner Painting 5 12-23-2014 10:28 AM
A Home Depot/Behr paint experience jeffnc Painting 31 05-25-2013 11:14 AM
Paint type Barry J Painting 22 02-10-2013 03:26 PM
1st Steps in Painting? Qckrun Painting 7 12-15-2009 12:25 PM
When to change paint roller sleeve saggdevil Painting 4 05-28-2009 08:56 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts