Flash - Not The TV Series - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree10Likes

Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 68

Flash - Not the TV Series

I have been a DIY painter a long time. So I know to prime walls and sand afterwards. So I still have a lot to learn.

Here is the situation. Complete remodeling of my bathroom, new drywall. I put two coats of primer on it. Zinsser 123 plus. Sanded lightly.

Using a 3/8 nap roller, Behr Premium Plus Ultra Eggshell, I rolled the entire wall in a non-stop process.

Lightly sand.

Painted second coat day or so later.

It dries and behold I see two 'flash' areas where the coverage creates a shadow type affect. Didn't expect that with second coat.

Ok, I review on the Internet possible causes. Figure I might have slackened on the paint a bit on that side.

Tonight, I re-do the entire wall. As paint is drying, bold same 'flash' area is showing up.

What gives? I have now 5 coats of primer + paint on that wall. Several postings on the Internet suggest another coat would eliminate the problem. I am not seeing that with my 3rd coat of paint {after two coats primer.}

We have a mirror that likely will cover it, but I would like to learn from this. I never in all cases let the paint dry, and kept a wet edge all along.
Attached Thumbnails
Flash - Not the TV Series-flash1.jpg  
themus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
retired painter

Rewards Points: 516

Re: Flash - Not the TV Series

It's possible that what you see is a defect in the drywall finishing and not the paint application. I would have used a 1/2" roller nap.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,866

behr. nuff said.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,446

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaatu View Post
behr. nuff said.
While I hate Behr, thats a load of crap. You always act like paint quality is the ONLY thing that affects the job outcome. Thats extremely narrow minded.

As crappy as Behr is, it doesnt just flash for no reason.
woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,866

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodco View Post
While I hate Behr, thats a load of crap. You always act like paint quality is the ONLY thing that affects the job outcome. Thats extremely narrow minded.

As crappy as Behr is, it doesnt just flash for no reason.
wrong. It's well known for flashing like an SOB. Not having pro rolling skills just increases the issue. It covers well though, and that is pretty much all the average consumer needs to hear to think it's good paint. It doesn't do the things that would make it be a top notch paint. It just "covers" well. After that many coats.....it's the paint quality trust me.
klaatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,624

My guess is poor drywall work. Someone either patched a hole or when it was originally done, there was a butt joint there that was not feathered out properly. Likely a hump, ever so slight, that gives the illusion of a "flash." Put a straight edge across the area to see if there are high and/or low spots to confirm.

If it's not that, it could be an area where a shellac based primer or an oil-based primer was used to cover a stained area. Those can flash for a couple days because the primer sealed up that one spot and the paint on top of the spot stays wet a lot longer than the rest of the wall.

If it's neither of those, there could be a contaminate like hair spray on the wall. Hair spray is so very difficult to cover.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM   #7

Let's me share if it was missed. This bathroom is a complete remodel. Hence, this wall is new. New white faced drywall. Having done the mudding meticulously, and sanded, I then primed - sanding lighlty with 120 grit sandpaper, wiped the wall, and re-primed. Then lighlty sanded, wiped the wall, and applied first coat of Behr premium plus ultra eggshell Swiss Coffee. Second coat 24 hours later. Saw flashing, applied third coat 24 hours later.

I do find it a little hard to believe the paint itself is the issue. I mean are you suggesting buying some Sherwin Williams paint and a coat of it and my problem goes away?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #8
retired painter

Rewards Points: 516

Probably the only way to know for sure is to try a different brand of paint.
Occasionally there are defects in the drywall sheet that go unnoticed until paint with a sheen hits it. Hard to say without being there to inspect in person.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM   #9

Ok, I called Sherwin Williams who I drive by everyday. Talked to a guy there who had 30 years experience. Here is what he said about my problem.

My Zinsger 123 plus primer is the issue and problem. He said it has a satin sheen. If I had used a flat paint, I would not have had the problem.

However, he said putting a paint with a sheen over it caused the flashing.

To fix the problem, he said use a flat primer, like their muti purpose primer. Tinting it would help. Then I could finish up with my Behr paint.

So what do your think?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 6,622

All the times you painted the wall, are you always seeing the issue in the same location ?
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #11

Yes, it appears to be so. That spot faces the door opening where the bedroom and window light reflects in.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 6,624

I'm 40 years into this business and I have never, ever had paint flashing issues when painting over 1-2-3. Not saying it can't happen, but, I've NEVER seen it. 1-2-3 is a very decent overall primer, and, yes, it has a slight sheen to it, but, flashing? And in just one area? Hmmmmm....... In my original post I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your drywall work, etc, I was just throwing out ideas hoping something might ring a bell.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

Well I was very surprised by him saying that myself. Indeed, the reviews on that primer across the Internet are very good.

I wasn't offended about the drywall. :-)

Now here is an observation and perhaps a question or two in it.

Tonight I looked at all my walls I've painted. Indeed, in the 15 years I have lived in this house, I've painted every room, nook and cranny. Some rooms several times.

It is sort of coming back to me a bit. I have always used Behr paint. More for the fact that once I picked my 'neutral color,' they always had it ready to go by using their computer. Plus, I thought it was better paint than the 'cheap stuff.'

As I looked at my walls where I used eggshell or satin, I could with careful eye in some cases see the flashing too. Basically I had to look at an angle with light reflected on it.

And I remember now that because of my OCD and annoyance over it, that I switched to flat enamel. Indeed, one year an HD associate told me that the issues previously with flat paint not being durable was remedied with their flat 'enamel.' With the flat enamel I've never seen flashing. Indeed, every modern paint job I did, and used flat Behr paint, I am good with no flashing.

And I initially wanted flat for the bathroom, thinking the flat enamel would be durable and no issues like I am having now. But the sales associate at HD told me I needed to at least use eggshell for that type of room.

So that is a little more history. Now to be honest, I lean toward perfectionist so I take my painting efforts seriously and for the life of me than, I cannot figure out the issue why this follows me with anything but flat paint. I put enough paint on the roller and work quickly so it doesn't try, leaving a wet edge.

I am almost wondering, do others have this problem? My son who I visited tonight had his living room have some flashing and he used Lowe's Sherwin Williams.

Since I know recognize it on some other rooms where I used Behr paint, satin or eggshell, is it my painting technique or the paint or Providence is trying to keep me humble!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,446

Ok... First of all, SW employees are not known for their knowledge, and neither are any box store employees. 123 is a pretty good primer, (for any wall situations)_ and anyone blaming the problems on THAT, doesnt know crap... SW has tried that one on me multiple times... Which is why I DONT buy SW unless I have to.

It doesnt matter what you primed with, if the wall was in good shape, a prime and 2 coats of paint should be good, even if it is a crap paint like Behr or SW.... Without better pictures, I say its either drywall issues, or rolling to dry with a 3/8".
woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 6,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by themus View Post
I am almost wondering, do others have this problem?

Not me, ever, except over a bad drywall repair.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement