Ever Use Coronado Rust Scat? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts

Old 08-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,208

Ever use Coronado Rust Scat?

It s a good polyurethane/oil based enamel, tough finish. Using it on window sashes from 100+ years ago. Only thing is it dries too fast for me, I have to paint fast. Paint brush streaks are normal with urethane, so I can live with that, but the rapid set time, wow. Any practical way to slow down drying time, like AN ADDITIVE?

Dont want to use regular oil paint, although it give a smoother/more leveled finish.
papereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2020, 08:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,378

Re: Ever use Coronado Rust Scat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papereater View Post
It s a good polyurethane/oil based enamel, tough finish. Using it on window sashes from 100+ years ago. Only thing is it dries too fast for me, I have to paint fast. Paint brush streaks are normal with urethane, so I can live with that, but the rapid set time, wow. Any practical way to slow down drying time, like AN ADDITIVE?

Dont want to use regular oil paint, although it give a smoother/more leveled finish.

BM P22 urethane alkyd is a smoother ground resin than rust scat. Use a bit of penetrol or mineral spirits to thin.
de-nagorg likes this.
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
papereater (08-10-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 290

Quote:

Not familiar with Rust Scat, but reminds me of a product we used to sell called 'Minute Dry Enamel'. ...... Was quite popular but company discontinued it because it did not hold up well. ....... Reason being, the faster anything dries (in the alkyd family) the harder the finish. And the harder the finish, the less flexibility ...... thus cracking.

Inside......maybe, but outside I would never use a 'fast dry' alkyd.
RanK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RanK2 For This Useful Post:
papereater (08-10-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2020, 04:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
BM P22 urethane alkyd is a smoother ground resin than rust scat. Use a bit of penetrol or mineral spirits to thin.
So, smoother ground resin has what advantage? Slower drying time? More flexible? I am open to switching to whatever behaves better on exterior. Longevity matters. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
So, smoother ground resin has what advantage? Slower drying time? More flexible? I am open to switching to whatever behaves better on exterior. Longevity matters. Thanks.

p22 makes a better 'fine finish' paint as the resins are smoother ground. Rust scat is fine for exterior if you already have it, just thin it with 2-4+ oz penetrol to slow it down. You can find it at most paint and hardware stores.
papereater likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
papereater (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 06:37 AM   #6

Quote:
A smoother ground 'resin'? ....... Resin is the glue/adhesive in paint. ..... If it is 'ground', that's news to me ....... but then, I just found out we landed on the moon.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanK2 View Post
A smoother ground 'resin'? ....... Resin is the glue/adhesive in paint. ..... If it is 'ground', that's news to me ....... but then, I just found out we landed on the moon.

Yes resins and pigments are ground. Fun fact for you: BenjaminMoore is the only manufacturer that grinds their own pigments and manufacturers their own proprietary resins. SW, PPG, KellyMoore, Rodda etc all buy a 'package' of resin from bulk manufacturers.

That's actually what makes Aura better than the vast majority of paints on the market. Its a newer generation of resins and the resin goes through an extra fine grinding process.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 08-11-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes resins and pigments are ground. Fun fact for you: BenjaminMoore is the only manufacturer that grinds their own pigments and manufacturers their own proprietary resins. SW, PPG, KellyMoore, Rodda etc all buy a 'package' of resin from bulk manufacturers.

That's actually what makes Aura better than the vast majority of paints on the market. Its a newer generation of resins and the resin goes through an extra fine grinding process.
Well I've always known that you 'grind' pigment, which of course is a solid, but resin? ..... Unless a chemist can chime in and support it (one with THAT knowledge anyway), I can't buy it. Never heard of it. ...... Been looking, just in case I was crazy, but as I suspected, there is no info anywhere I can find about 'grinding resin'.

"..Acrylic resins are synthesized from a wide selection of acrylic and methacrylic ester monomers and low level of monomers having other functional groups..".

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics.../acrylic-resin

This is a fun fact too: 'Aura' actually ranks #8 on Consumer Reports top 21 exterior paints, but costs about $25 more than their #1.
Old 08-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Well I've always known that you 'grind' pigment, which of course is a solid, but resin? ..... Unless a chemist can chime in and support it (one with THAT knowledge anyway), I can't buy it. Never heard of it. ...... Been looking, just in case I was crazy, but as I suspected, there is no info anywhere I can find about 'grinding resin'.

"..Acrylic resins are synthesized from a wide selection of acrylic and methacrylic ester monomers and low level of monomers having other functional groups..".

This is a fun fact too: 'Aura' actually ranks #8 on Consumer Reports top 21 exterior paints, but costs about $25 more than their #1.

Consumer reports is a joke, its become the very thing it tried to protect consumers from for decades. Ask a life long professional painter what they use if you want a honest opinion.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/onli...er_reports.htm

As far as acrylic resins, the vast majority of manufacturers including Behr, SW, PPG etc purchase them already in solution from companies like DOW and BASF. Your unlikely to find out much about their proprietary manufacturing process.

Acrylic paints are basically finely ground plastic suspended in a solvent (water) and dry/cure via coalescence.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 08-11-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:28 PM   #10

Quote:
p22 makes a better 'fine finish' paint as the resins are smoother ground. Rust scat is fine for exterior if you already have it, just thin it with 2-4+ oz penetrol to slow it down. You can find it at most paint and hardware stores.
Whew, good to know, coco (sorry for late reply, been too busy at work lately). I am using it for exterior. I was worried that as you warned, it may crack too soon. But I am also coating the interior of the sashes as well. looks sooo good. Anyway, hope it lasts. Anything except water based. Happens that i get it from my BM dealer, locally. Thanks, coco.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:

Well , turns out I am a chemist, by profession. Painter in earlier years, then change career. Oh well. But I am not in the coatings field. BUT, I can say from Organic Chem 2 (yes, we had to take both Org I and II), resins are flammable sticky compounds, classified as semi solids. Just in my opinion it can not be ground. We grind stuff that are solids only, and I imagine one can not grind a resin, unless you consider mashing and smushing a semi solid into more goo is "grinding".

This does not affect my opinion on rust scat. Whatever.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #12

i tried Aura, paid $$$$$ for a gallon. It was touted so much by the store owner. I was a complete disappointment. Not worth the money. No bucket of paint is worth that kind of money. Clearly marketing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement